Notary Rotary
How Can A SS Expect You To.......
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by ColleenCA on 10/25/05 3:36pm
Msg #72258

accept a signing when they cannot tell you what type of loan it is, who the lender is, how many pages or anything about it except that it must be done within 1 hour!!! I actually received this call today and I told her with my schedule and her lack of knowledge, there was no way that I could quote a fee let alone know if I could fit it in. I suspect that she truely did know what it was, and there was probably a huge problem with it and she was looking for a "sucker".

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/25/05 3:52pm
Msg #72261

I never ask those kinds of questions. My fee is my fee whether it's a 30 page HELOC or a 130 page Benchmark monster. I allow 1 hour for a signing when scheduling, usually takes less time, very rarely takes longer. And I really don't care who the lender is (with the exception of one SS who do mostly Ameriquest loans, I will ask them, but they already know I don't do Ameriquest for them anymore). You really can't quote a fee just based on the location of the signing?

Not to single you out Colleen, but it really blows my mind sometimes about the things people worry about on this board. I think a lot of people make this job more stressful and difficult for themselves then they need to. K.I.S.S.

Reply by ColleenCA on 10/25/05 3:57pm
Msg #72265

I base my fees on the type of loan and location. I charge a different fee for a HELOC, or if it is a piggyback, etc. Just these two different loans require a hugh difference in the amount of time that they take, so I have no way of knowing how to fit the signing into my schedule if I don't know how long it will take and therefore what to charge for it. I also do not do Ameriquest loans, so knowing who the lender is is also a factor for me. My point to the post was that the SS should have basic knowledge of what type of loan it is so that the SA can seriously consider it or not.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/25/05 4:05pm
Msg #72268

"Just these two different loans require a hugh difference in the amount of time that they take, so I have no way of knowing how to fit the signing into my schedule if I don't know how long it will take and therefore what to charge for it."

But we never really know how long a signing is going to take anyway, so our scheduling is all based on estimates anyway.

I've flown through huge packages in half an hour and had dinky HELOC's take an hour. While of course I charge more for a piggyback, most of the time it only takes about 15 minutes longer than a single loan signing.

All I can say is that keeping it as simplified as possible works well for me and not knowing the things in advance that you want to know hasn't caused me any problems at all.

Reply by John_NorCal on 10/25/05 8:47pm
Msg #72316

Re: I agree, a SS should know the ........

parameters of the signing they are trying to schedule. Sounds like that SS doesn't really have a handle on things.

Reply by ColleenCA on 10/26/05 8:31am
Msg #72375

Re: I agree, a SS should know the ........

Thank you, that was my point. How can any person running a business make a good business decision if the client can't give you any idea of what the job consists of.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.