Notary Rotary
Just trying to get a consensus...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by jb_CA on 10/13/05 7:07pm
Msg #70381

I know this topic comes up often but I am just checking again. I am doing a refi. on a property in VA. I know it's an attorney state but also know I can notarize here as well. Do you attach CA verbiage to all notarized docs, to be recorded or not? Or do you choose to notarize the verbiage of the state docs originate from?
Just looking for your input and appreciate any help on this!!
TIA

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/13/05 7:27pm
Msg #70383

I always attach California verbiage. While it's fine to use the verbiage of the state that the document will be recorded in, I don't know the laws of every state and can't tell for sure that the verbiage I see is truly correct for that state. Just because it's printed on the docs doesn't automatically make it correct; I've seen plenty of wrong wording in CA docs.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 7:42pm
Msg #70385

VA is not an attorney state

Reply by TAgey_VA on 10/13/05 10:01pm
Msg #70412

Yes, VA is an Atty state. You are required by law to be an Atty or have a Title License to exchange ANY money at the closing table. However, a Notary Public can do these types of closings and have the borrower overnight the money separately if the Lender agrees. This falls under the CRESPA Law. Check into it.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 10:39pm
Msg #70419

Please know what you are talking about before you post. As I stated previously VA is not an attorney only state. Attorney only States mean that you have to be an attorney or under direction of one to perform a closing. This is not the case in VA. VA is a CRESPA State meaning you have to be CRESPA certified to take money from the table. If no money is exchanged then CRESPA cert is not required. To be CRESPA certified you as you have stated need to be an attorney or a title agent. Well a title agent is not an attorney. I am a title agent and CRESPA certified, but not an attorney and do closings. If VA was attorney only I would not be able to do that. I really wish people would have their facts together before posting. Once again The State of Virginia is not an attorney only state it is a CRESPA state!!! Check your facts!!!

Reply by newlysmomva on 10/14/05 8:00am
Msg #70444

Okay, let's play nice....yes, in Va you do not have to be an atty but you do have to be a title agent certified by CRESPA and registered with the bar, BUT if no money is coming through you and you are witness only, a notary can do signing. SO what does that make VA....I guess and Atty & Title Agent State..HA! Ha!. I really wish it was an Atty State with a law that attys could not have an ownership interest in title companies.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/14/05 10:25am
Msg #70474

It makes Virginia a CRESPA state, nothing less nothing more. People just misunderstand the concept.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/14/05 11:13am
Msg #70492

One question why do you want VA to be an attorney only state? Do you want to be put out of business?

Reply by newlysmomva on 10/14/05 3:26pm
Msg #70542

main part being....attorneys cannot own an interest in a title company... do you know how many title companies would close in the state with that stipulation....I wouldn't be out of business as a title agent, I would be in hog heaven!
Yeah, as a notary I would be screwed, but if I don't get any more signings than I have lately it wouldn't matter. I live in a rural area where most folks think they need an atty to go to the bathroom, so notary closings are not a big money maker.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.