Notary Rotary
Last week during an appointment....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Tennessee on 10/30/05 11:33am
Msg #73087

the borrower told me they too were a notary and was curious about "mobile notaries". They did a search and stumbled upon this board and others, I was totally flabbergasted when I was questioned about "our integrity and our sense of confidentiality". I was challenged about discussing her rate, the cleanliness of her home etc. Bottom line she wanted to know if I was going to go to a public board and talk about her. I told her yes I intended on doing exactly that and to read this board today. BOTTOM LINE....YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS READING THIS BOARD AND IN FAIRNESS TO OUR CLIENTS I WOULD SUGGEST YOU FIND ANOTHER OUTLET ACCESSIBLE ONLY TO PROFESSIONALS WHERE YOU CAN TEAR DOWN A CLIENTS LOAN, THEIR PERSONAL LIVING CONDITIONS OR PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS. Sorry for screaming but I was ashamed and horribly embarrassed. We all claim to be professionals, so are Doctors and Lawyers, how would you like it if a GYN had an open chat board that they discussed the "ugliness" or personal hygiene of their last patient naming everything but the patient's name? Or a lawyer discussing ethical questions that are attorney/client sensitive? I AM a professional, this is my only means of support and what goes on between me and my client stays exactly between us, my purpose on these boards is to gain knowledge, educate myself and become the best that I can be...it's not a gossip board where I am trying to one-up the previous poster on MY WORST EXPERIENCE or MY WORST CLIENT.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/30/05 11:45am
Msg #73089

What a load of crap!!! I totally disagree with Tennessee for a number of reasons. I live in Florida in an area with a high rate of crime, and by reading these messages about the fat lady and the 911 phone call really help me out. It totally sucks for those two notaries but those experiences help out so many other notaries like me, which is the whole purpose of this discussion board...To discuss items!!! If this wasnt a "Discussion Board" then i would totally agree with your comments, BuUUUTTTTT Since this is one.....You might think before writing something down that would embaress yourself.

Reply by Tennessee on 10/30/05 12:27pm
Msg #73102

Pardon me?

Ma'am or Sir, IF you need to read how to handle either of the situations you named in your post you need MUCH MUCH more help than what this board can afford you. My humble opinion only.

Reply by David Hendricks on 10/30/05 12:51pm
Msg #73107

Not a good comment. You have to understand firstly that most of these comments are the opinions of the people writing them. Being older and not much wiser, I believe that we need to learn from those people who have experience in this business. This lady who live in Tennessee had a really informative experience about a person who has stumbled onto one of these websights and had real concerns that her life would be exposed to the world. How would you feel if that were you. Some stories I have read are those exposures. If I was that man who pulled the gun on the woman, or that woman who was not clothed, I know that I would be embarressed to have my life publicized to the world. Anonymous, learn from these experiences and dont criticize people for their comments.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/30/05 8:09pm
Msg #73150

Frankly, David, I don't care if you are 95 and and my grandfather - when and where did you decide to tell people what to say and how to say it on a public forum where many of us have paid the fee to belong here and post our opinions????

If you don't like what is said, go on to the next post and YOU stop criticizing!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/30/05 8:55pm
Msg #73157

Re: Last week during an appointment....DAVID HENDRICKS

Another thought, David - you said:

***This lady who live in Tennessee had a really informative experience about a person who has stumbled onto one of these websights and had real concerns that her life would be exposed to the world. How would you feel if that were you.***

No notary on this forum has EVER posted someones name or location. Those being "posted about" are completely anonymous and can hold their head up high at the local grocery store. Please - if you're instructing other notaries on what and how to post their comments, have some logic and common sense, otherwise you'll be dismissed.

***Some stories I have read are those exposures. If I was that man who pulled the gun on the woman, or that woman who was not clothed, I know that I would be embarressed to have my life publicized to the world.***

Excuse me - "the world"? This is an internet forum. The people discussed are clearly out of the norm - pulling a gun and taking your clothes off is not common in this business! These are the people YOU want to protect from being posted about (anonymously)???? What about the NOTARY? My gosh, you don't have a clue what this forum is all about...a forum of notaries lamenting about difficult signings, asking for advice in tough situations, wondering if signing services pay or not, and just plain SHARING. That's why I come here.

You have not one constructive thing to offer in your comments here. Yet, it's your opinion (however grossly misconceived and wrong) and you, as well as everyone else here, has a right to it. That's what this is all about. Think about it.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/30/05 9:29pm
Msg #73161

***but those experiences help out so many other notaries like me, which is the whole purpose of this discussion board...To discuss items!!!***

Anon, I hate that you're anonymous, but agree with you, this board is to discuss, share, argue, point out differences...all of which makes us good at what we do. Those that are known for divisive comments are generally worth listening to and thinking about - like you said, "discussion".

Reply by Charm_AL on 10/30/05 11:46am
Msg #73090

Tennessee...

we may gripe about our jobs and what our experiences are, as allowed by board rules....I've never seen a post that directly identified a borrower by name. They all remain anon.
There are great borrowers with clean homes and there are borrowers that live in stenchy disgusting homes and do some really strange things!....These are all conditions of the job. We are allowed to discuss them here with our peers. If you choose not to talk about your personal signing experiences, that's your choice. You should not have been embarrassed at all, I would have said "Really?, hmmm" and left it at that.

Reply by Tennessee on 10/30/05 11:49am
Msg #73091

yes Charm...

I have to agree with you, I may have spoken a bit too soon...it is after all about choice. Thank you, I sometimes forget that element of choice...gentle reminders are always appreciated.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/30/05 11:52am
Msg #73096

Re: yes Charm...

i think that the first response was really rude. although i agree with tennessee's comment, as well as charms. the second response was done out of spite and whoever the person was who made that comment, you should apologize and not be so rude on these message boards. thanks

david johnson
alabama

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/30/05 8:04pm
Msg #73148

Re: yes Charm...

I disagree - the first response was the posters opinion and they are entitled to post it. Just because they said it bluntly doesn't make it rude...it's just too bad they were "anonymous".

Reply by Tennessee on 10/30/05 1:12pm
Msg #73116

On a side note.....

I agree that when some of these experiences are posted they are anon, however most also say that they notified the SS of the situation which now means that the SA and the SS know about the situation and the SS knows the name of the client. If I were an SS and saw one of these experiences repeated on the board I would have to wonder about my SA's ability to be confidential. And the fact that I was embarrassed was because at that moment I was talking with a Commissioned Notary who knew her laws wanting to know what the heck was going on within our sector.

Reply by 1stopnotary on 10/30/05 1:13pm
Msg #73117

I think we need to pick and choose of what we posted. This Board is for us Notaries and we do learn alot from each other...and we are not using names. However, If the individual who is choosing to go in this line of work will also find situations themselves when that times come...i think that it is good we help each be more aware of those out there...For me..I'm thankful to hear these things cuz then it helps me to be cautious out there...especially with my anxiety.

Yes..she may have not liked that,however,she should had seen the advantages of what is going out there. That could help choose if she really wants to go in this field and take that risk ..and learn...or to just stay away from this line of work.

It happens in most work places. I'm not saying its right, but it does happen, and in most cases, it is part of our learning experience. Might sound stupid and crazy, but its the fact.

This board is like a school...we learn from each other in every aspect there is..the up's and and the down's. It is our sounding board when we need it...it should not be ruled out as a "bad" thing. Just have to be alittle more careful in the future of what we choose to discuss.

Reply by Mindy_WA on 10/30/05 2:01pm
Msg #73124

I agree to some degree with the initial comment, we need to be careful what we write. However, you need to realize that in all professions there is some degree of "chat" regarding a client, patient, customer, etc. I feel if you think that your doctor doesn't talk about you behind your back, then you must think your "stuff don't stink"...which may be the case. In that case, they probably don't talk about you.

I have worked extensively in the medical field. There are laws regarding patient confidentiality. These confidences are in regards to the general public and people who are not directly involved with the patients care. This means that you can't call up one of your doctor friends and say..."I was treating Oprah Winfrey yesterday and blah, blah, blah..." You could however call up your doctor friend and say. " Yea, I was treating a patient yesterday and I was stumped by what I saw...could you help me understand how to treat this problem. Symptoms are as follows..."

You would give details that could be very specific to this individual, however, you would not say their name, specific location, time of appointment, age, race etc....This leaves a number of things to the others imagination.

I feel that this is the same with this forum. I would be sensitive to provide enough detail without giving the specifics. If a person is reading this forum and is concerned that they are being negetivly spoken about, they may either decide that the person writing has the problem or THEY have the problem. Either way, it's all sort of paranoia.

At the end of the day, I don't loose sleep about who may be talking about me. I really don't put a lot of weight on other people's opinions about me, because I feel good about who I am, and what I am doing. It's a self confidence thing...not arrogance.

Believe ME! I have my problems too. I just don't care if people notice. If others want to occupy their time talking about all my faults...THEY have the problem. End of RANT!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.