Notary Rotary
Maryland Title Producer
Notary Discussion History

Maryland Title Producer
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/4/05 2:44pm
Msg #68793

Maryland Title Producer

Title Producers who are signing agents in the State of Maryland. Because we are licensed and we are required to be bonded and insured to do closings, we must be unified in our base fees. I will not leave my home for less than $75. I'm sure in other places around the country, that's may be expensive, but, the fact that we must carry a license that we had to take a test for, we should require more. $50 for a closing is unacceptable.

Notaries around the country, we must be unified. Signing service companies are making a mint off of us. We're the one's traveling, printing out the docs......there are costs associated w/ that, gas, car insurance. $50 is an unacceptable fee for doing closings. If we're members of the NNA, there suggested fees for doing signings are unacceptable as well. We pay them dues to represent us. We must be united. This is a business for a lot of us.

Reply by Shelley Weinman on 10/4/05 4:58pm
Msg #68837

I work as a recuiter for a signing company and we usually pay $75+ for TPL notary in MD. May I suggest visiting us at www.signtrack.com, if interested in doing signings with us.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/4/05 5:37pm
Msg #68843

If you are from First American I'd like to know how to get more than $75 out of you for a title producer signing. Only way I know of is if it's e-docs you pay a little extra.

Reply by Genkichan on 10/4/05 6:20pm
Msg #68852

Hi there. I wonder how long you've been in this business here in MD? Doesn't seem like you've been at it very long. Can you really make a go of it with a base fee of $75.00 with all the added expenses of staying in business in MD? I sure as shoot can't. My base fee is $XXX to walk out the door. I admire you for being brave enough to post something like that in light of the laws against price fixing. But if you continue to do so, you might want to re-evaluate your numbers and your logic a bit. Those folks in MD (apparently like you) who do any signings for double digits instead of tripple are killing the rest of us. Do us all a favor and stop being so cheap! I don't even do HELOCs for $75.00 anymore. I get what I ask for from most, and work increasingly more with Title Cos and less and less for signing services that don't want to pay. Those who don't want to pay, or those who pretend to be ss, but are actually affiliated with Title Cos, will either anti-up the cash or exit the MD market in the end. Good luck.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/4/05 6:52pm
Msg #68859

My base fee for NFCU, and CITI helocs is $75 within my zip code.
Outside is $100 for Helocs, $125 for refis. These are minimums. Like many other places in the country, driving 25 miles can be 30 min or 1 hr depending on direction. I take this into consideration.
There have been numbers posted re: just the cost of a TPL in MD. It's around $1200 per year -$400 continuing education, $750 bond.
Initial cost is $500 class, $80 test, 1 week lost income because of classes and test taking (say $750). Total of $1300.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/4/05 7:15pm
Msg #68864

There needs to be a process by which we become more in sync w/ our rates. How do we do that?

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/4/05 8:11pm
Msg #68874

Personally, I think in MD you should be getting more than $75 per signing locally. $50 is a joke, people.

The only way to get the NNA to support NSAs on fees is to stop paying membership dues. I don't even consider them as anything more than an advertising vehicle. And, as of March, they are no longer advertising me unless it is for free.

It's been a long time since I got a signing because someone said they got me from signingagent.com.

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/4/05 11:42pm
Msg #68900

I've NEVER gotten a call from signingagent.com

I've been listed since April this year and have yet to recieve one call. I'm sorry NNA, but other than reduced E&O, I don't see the benefit. I do, however, enjoy the "fluff" in the NNA Notary Bulletin. Where did they get that excellent pic of Charlie Crist? Wow, he really does something for me.

**Disclaimer: I was given a trial membership to the NNA . In exchange, I am to post my experience with the NNA on this board. Search and ye shall find.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/5/05 10:24am
Msg #68934

I am a Md Licensed Title Producer. I will not leave my house for less than $150 for edocs and $100 for overnight packages within a thirty mile radius, further distance=higher price!!!! It goes up in 25 mile increments for me. Piggybacks I charge an extra $75.00. They are twice the work, whoever came up with the $25 fee for piggybacks?? This is BS. By sticking to this price structure I've been able to weed out some of these silly signing companies with their insulting fees. Trust me, they dont call back and waste my time after they hear my fee structure.
I've got a decent client base with some good companies who pay fair fees on a timely basis. Just say no to $50 fees and $25 piggybacks and they'll have no choice but to raise the fees offered.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.