Notary Rotary
NNA Convention 2005-2006 My Presentation
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Bob_Chicago on 10/2/05 11:22am
Msg #68357

This message is addressed to all of you who attended my presentation at the NNA convention is LasVegas or in Orlando.
I have applied to the NNA to speak at the 2006 convention which is scheduled for the Memorial Day weekend (May 27 - May 31) in Washington DC
The application requests comments from those who have heard me speak.
If you would like to comment on my presentaion(S), I would appreciate it if you forward your comments to me at
[e-mail address] or , if you prefer you may forward any comments directly to the NNA.
For those contemplating negative comments, it is only fair to advise you that by viewing this post, your computer has been infected with the dreaded "BOBSTER" virus.
Any negative comments written about me , as a post to a notary board or otherwise, will cause your computer to be unable to open e-mail docs until 10 minutes prior to a scheduled signing. After the docs have been opened they will print at the rate of one page every six minutes.
Seriously, I would appreciate any comments that you may have.
Looking forward to seeing many of you in DC.
Best wishes to all affected by the hurricanes on the Gulf Coast.

Reply by Jenny_CA on 10/2/05 2:01pm
Msg #68373

Is there a dealine?

Reply by Bob_Chicago on 10/2/05 3:41pm
Msg #68379

Deadline for applications was Fri 9-30

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/2/05 4:53pm
Msg #68382

bobster virus

You sure are sly. Please tell me how to do this.

So good to hear from you. I did not hear your speech, but I have learned a great deal from you in our peripheral communications. I am appreciative.

Bobster, I don't care what anyone says about you on these boards...You're okay for a Democrat.

Reminds me of a joke Bob and I shared...wasn't the first time I'd heard it.

When I was a mere girl (and a thin one at that...around 114 lbs. to be accurate to set this up) I was working for Dow Chemical Co., an old HR guy said to me, "Brenda, you know what I like about you? You don't sweat much for a fat girl." It was funny then...not so much for Bobby-boy.

Bob told me the same thing on the phone once. I think he has now gone deaf in his right ear.

Smiley

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/2/05 5:58pm
Msg #68384

Speaking of Conventions...here's an idea

As I've enjoyed my time on notary rotary...I've had this idea in the back of my small little mind for several months now...so throwing it out there for comments. (Keep in mind I'm still nursing my mangled corpse back to life after mis-interpreting test questions....)

I've read about MI's attempts to get NSA's together and a similar one with Northern California. Dont' know if they've been sucessful or not.

Here goes...for me, I've met some REALLY nice people I've enjoyed offline conversations with...those I consider friends and would like, someday, to meet - eyeball to eyeball.

I think it would be fun to have a Not Rot convention. I'd be willing to bet there would be far better speakers - more real world experience - and if done right, might be something worthwhile, that could be repeated. NSA experience from the source - experts.

Brenda could do her spiel on marketing. Renee could do a seminar on loan docs and lenders. Sylvia could be the maven of do's and don'ts of a signing. PAW could (without UPL...dear me) educate us on notary law. Cali could do a spin on efficiency in signings/scheduling and of course...critique everyone else. Hugh could...maybe find his widow? Roger could be the emcee. Bob will educate on the NNA. Charles can keep us posted on the market and trends, and those oh-so-difficult commercial/construction loan signings. Carolyn can teach us "what you always wanted to know about lawyers but were afraid to ask - including animal traps". And - there could be a "newbie" seminar...Q&A from a panel of experts - how valuable would that be???. Me..I'll take the boring part, title insurance and title documents - that'll be short - very short. And anyone else that I've not mentioned is not out of a lack of anything but space in this post.

Harry...are you listening? Can you make some money on this???

Frankly I think we'd kick NNA convention hinny.

And just THINK of the after-parties...my, my.

I'd vote for Vegas. I can just see Paw screaming...."c'mon baby!!!!"...at the craps table, Sylvia resplendent in purple and red, Cali looking metro while raising a cyncial well-groomed eyebrow, Brenda cuttin' it up on the dance floor, and Charm batting away would-be suitors with her "not fat" arms holding a baseball bat.

Just a thought.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/2/05 6:20pm
Msg #68386

Re: And all the anonymous posters could wear bags ...

on their head so we could easily identify them.

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/2/05 6:39pm
Msg #68388

Re: And all the anonymous posters could wear bags ...

LOL Smiley Good one Carolyn!

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/2/05 6:39pm
Msg #68387

Re: Speaking of Conventions...here's an idea

Susan, you have my attention.

Cali won't come to the party...he's too handsome for words (I have seen a picture) and there would be too many of us straight gals trying to fix him up with our daughters. He's slightly too young for me, although I would be interested in an older brother, if he has one. As for dancing...yes, I like to dance...but I will be trying to trim up my arms because I don't like it that Charm's are not fat. Mine are not huge, you see...but I don't like not being the best in any circle. I'll hit Aerofit tomorrow.

Yeah, I'd like to see Paul blow on the dice and yell "Come to me baby!!!! Bring it home to Papa!"

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/2/05 7:01pm
Msg #68390

dam, I forget Ernest...I just re-read my post and the typos, my god. Cali...I didn't mean 'cyncial'...but I'm sure you get my drift. Ernest will keep us all in check for sentence structure/presentation. He's invaluable.

I picture Cali this way...about 37, perfectly well-groomed, handsome, tailored clothing, his apartment would make me ashamed of my own and with that oh-so-famous sharp tongue that says it like it is.

From a ladies point of view...why is it that...never mind. It's moot. But, if the idea takes off, he better dam well show up, we TC employess have our ways in locating the unlocatable. I don't take steamrollers lightly.

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/2/05 7:29pm
Msg #68394

Ah, suenos de los borrachos........an old spanish saying

that isn't very complimentary but kind of nails it. I have talked to a lot of you and I had been shopping someone would take up the reins but so far no one has so let me throw this out and then if we can't get it together no one has anything to say.

It is way past time we had a professional organization similar to the Appraisal Institute or the various Realtors' associations to which I belong. There are several groups forming, i know there is one inf Texas and there is one forming in Florida and there are probably a lot more. I know Della tried to start one inf Sacramento but so far Ca seems to be lagging behind.

I'll make this offer. If we truly have people who want to start a real professional organization we need to do it by notaries and for notaries and leave pecuniary interests outside this organization. I suggest that we start with an interim board of directors of Brenda_TX. TitleGal, Becca_FL and perhaps two more. I have been the incorporator of several corporations and would be willing to act as incorporator of this association as a mutual benefit association incorporated under the non-profit rules of the IRS, sect 501, C. I would like to have someone and at this time TitleGal seems like the logical choice to start taking fees and holding them in escrow until we can incorporate and then hold general elections for officers of the corporation. I think that we should have an initial member ship fee of $25 to start getting something into the kitty since incorporation costs and we will need some money for operating expenses. Disbursements should be controlled by three signatures under the previous scenario Brenda, TitleGal and myself or any combination that the initial board may vote on and we should have a convention at the beginning of the coming year. May I suggest Reno instead of Las Vegas since it is a little more laid back and definitely cheaper. We don't need anyone to have to do this except us, notaries. There, its on the table lets see who is a player and who isn't. My check is written in an envelope and ready to go.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/2/05 7:36pm
Msg #68397

Re: Ah, suenos de los borrachos........an old spanish saying

Charles, my entreprenuerial spirit is just about busting a gut at present. I've proposed this to Brenda before, and others...and rolled around with the idea for a long time.

We do have a lot to talk about, don't we? Tonight is fam night...so I'm off for a while. More later.

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/2/05 7:48pm
Msg #68402

Dang, if it is family night, I am going to call my kid...

and tell him to unhand (is that a word?) that gorgeous girlfriend of his as Mama is on her way over for a fine game of 42 (dominoes).

Reply by TCMN on 10/2/05 8:02pm
Msg #68408

Re: Dang, if it is family night, I am going to call my kid...

too funny, and I "got" what you meant by 42

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/2/05 8:12pm
Msg #68410

Re: 42...I wondered if it was a Texas game. My ignorance...

I apologize! Smiley

Reply by TCMN on 10/2/05 8:02pm
Msg #68407

Re: Ah, suenos de los borrachos........an old spanish saying

we should all talk soemtime soon....lets plan a date and figure out a way, a private chat room maybe? just trying not to have a phone call eat up all my minutes and have it close to "real time" talk and private to invited only. Just don't need a hundred people there.

Any thoughts?

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/2/05 8:11pm
Msg #68409

IM works for me, use my e-mail addy,

I have AOL Instant messenger and MSN Messenger, just let me know and we'll set up an IM appointment. If you want we cold even do a group chat. Although I have never done one, I understand that MSN messenger has the capability.

Best regards,
Charles

Reply by TCMN on 10/2/05 8:22pm
Msg #68414

Re: IM works for me, use my e-mail addy,

we will figure it out, I think we will have to set a good date in the next few weeks, maybe see if Oct is going to be busy or if it will be the start of the slow season and use that time for this wise and very much needed idea.

A bulb that will break ground in the spring and bloom into the summer?????

Reply by TCMN on 10/2/05 7:18pm
Msg #68392

Re: Speaking of Conventions...TitleGal, I've considered

that same thing almost. Actually I was going to put something together after going to the NNA convention last June. For it being it's 27th Annual I thought it a joke. I know I could do better my first year out in regards to speakers, etc.

I have put together a (beginning stages) file on the program I would like to see. For example the sessions - speaking and training, vendors, etc. I've tried to put starting numbers together and locations, etc.

It was just so disappointing walking in on a dozen or less vendors when that's giving the NNA 27 yrs to get more and they can only get less than half of a vendor a year? That to me is a joke. I guarantee I could have more than 12 my first year out. AND better speakers and sessions.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, just ticked me off going and wasting the money. I'm sorry I missed Bob's session, I think I've told him that, but I refused to walk in after VR spouting incorrect info to more than 500 people and the NNA just standing there doing nothing.

Smiley

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/2/05 7:29pm
Msg #68395

TCMN

You stated the very reason I posted this...what could be better than a "convention" by the true experts? I would be annoyed, at best, to spend the $ to go to one that I didn't get anything out of, eg. the NNA.

The rest of my post about the NotRotters was just for fun...but truly, I think it's a great idea. You'd have to be careful about those just wanting to blow their own horns, but, to me, it just makes good sense - a "win-win", for everybody involved, if done right.

The bad thing about having an idea...is that usually you get nominated for heading it up, and I'm probably not that person. You need someone that has a bit of discretionary time...recognizes a benefit to themselves financially for doing so...all the while understanding how good it could be. Those people are rare. Hence my invitation to Harry. If I were self-employed full time (and how I wish it were so) and could make a profit while doing good, I'd be the first one to start planning.

My post wasn't all 'joking' - I just think it's a great idea and a workable one.

Reply by Charles_CA on 10/2/05 7:33pm
Msg #68396

Its always been my experience that if you want something

done, give it to a busy person. They will get it done. Check it out

Reply by TCMN on 10/2/05 7:51pm
Msg #68404

Re: NO joke TitleGal....

I have put a lot of thought into it and have been working on it here and there when I can. I agree with you post even though you say it was a joke about the people listed.

I have done this a long time and in the general related fields even longer (I've been in Real Estate for almost 12 years and done mortgages to) My passion is helping people and if I only won the lottery once I would be in heaven just taking it and putting it in different "projects" that could make a difference. I haven't put more time into the idea because I have too much on my plate. I do this full time, Real Estate full time and have another company and wanted to start a non-profit for schools in MN first and then nationwide if I could expend it. But there hasn't been the time.

SO, after the NNA loss in June, I had put a conference "up there" on the list to help make a difference and show how a real convention is done and the benefit you should get from them.
(It might be of interest....The National Association of REALTORS Convention every year, costs $310 if your a MEMEBER for the FULL convention...how come the NNA is more when you get about 1/10 (at the least) in vendor participation? and please no one go off on the didferent ratios of notaries to realtors)

Anyway, I have taken in the past a list of "joke" names and have done quite the same as you as to their roll I would request of them to take (if I could get them to do it) and kept it in that file for future reference. (your name is on my list also TitleGal)

See, I did not discover this website until about 2 years ago. I watched for a good 6 months and read posts (sorry I have yet to finish reading them all) and then occassionally added things where I thought needed input. I have been yelled at by the "regulars"and take it with a grain of salt when it's needed to be but have found the "ones" that are of the greater good and know that someday we will be in a circle that will provide a positive outcome to our industry. I wish I had found this site earlier and most of the people on it because I think there would've been a NEW conference by now that a lot of them would be involved in and a part of the creation of. I hope that can still be the case in the near future because I hope to have far more time when I finish my current project and can focus on that. And I hope the people on my list will welcome my contact when I do drop them an email in regard to it.

Sorry, to ramble again....just have "held" this idea down since I didn't want to speak up and not have the time to go anywhere with it.

Smiley

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/3/05 12:11am
Msg #68451

Re: Speaking of Conventions...TitleGal, I've considered

TCMN - My thoughts exactly, on the NNA Convention in Las Vegas. At least, I did get to see my Grandma.

Reply by jojo_MN on 10/2/05 10:35pm
Msg #68432

Hey, that sounds fun, but how about in the Chicago or Twin ciities area in Minnesota? It would be neat to meet the other NotRots

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/2/05 11:55pm
Msg #68449

Who would want to miss this? Not me!..................n/m

Reply by Harry [NR] on 10/3/05 2:51am
Msg #68453

"Harry...are you listening? Can you make some money on this???"

Money? Who needs it? If we were to sponsor a convention, it certainly wouldn't be about the money. Smiley

Harry
Notary Rotary, Inc.

Reply by TCMN on 10/3/05 9:17am
Msg #68477

Glad to hear that Harry, I say the same thing.

Harry your help would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. I think we have something here and I think someone TitleGal and Charles bringing it to the board has made me want to move faster on it than I would've had I tried to finish something else first.

With respects to your sight I know that advertising is not allowed and I wont do that. AND I do not want to take away from your site what-so-ever since you have a good thing here also. I will have a site that is in the same family as yours BUT I have taken it a step further and THIS idea brought to attention here would've been incorporated with the likes of my site in a sense. I have been working on that and haven't had the time to focus on this side of it.
Now though, things might have to be sort of separate but like affiliates since I think as a group we could be more productive.

We should talk about this further. I will touch base with you in the next few days or so.

Thanks.

Ty

Reply by Charm_AL on 10/3/05 8:40am
Msg #68465

LOL T.G....

*batting away 'would be' suitors* I rather be at the craps table. I love that excitement!

But really, this does sound like something that can be done. I thought about it a long time ago but no one bit. I think a NotRot convention is a great idea. Also, I think H makes enough $$$. So he should just be a 'paying' member as well Smiley

Reply by Cheryl_LVNV on 10/3/05 9:09am
Msg #68474

I am new here, in the process of getting this career started. I DO, however, live in Las Vegas, and if given some numbers, can call around to see how much would been needed to have a convention here. I have some contacts in that area, not to save $$, but to get inside info on some things. Let me know how many would be expected, if being on strip would be important or would an off-strip location be ok..etc.

Cheryl

Reply by TCMN on 10/3/05 9:36am
Msg #68484

Cheryl_LVNV...will keep your name, just jumping ahead n/m

Reply by Prairie Winds Notary Services, LLC - BONNIE on 10/3/05 9:54am
Msg #68490

How about a NotRot Group cruise? Doesn't cost really anymore than something at a convention center, and it's all inclusive as far as meals etc. We take a 7 day cruise every year and have never spent more than 3000. total for 6 of us, and that includes the shore excursions that you have to pay extra for and the shopping, that I just can't live without, (hey! I'm female,what can I say?) Everything you need is right there! Including meeting rooms for seminars etc.
Just an idea!

Reply by TCMN on 10/3/05 10:05am
Msg #68494

Nice Bonnie....would that not be a hoot! n/m

Reply by CATHERINE VIGIL on 10/3/05 4:02pm
Msg #68573

I'm a newbie here, but it sounds great to me!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.