Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary Seal can be anyplace in the document?Need quick help.
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/10/05 2:31pm
Msg #69731

I had a notarization last Wednesday where there was no space for my seal, so I just
put it in the top of the document, there was the only place. Now the SS called me that they
need a loose ack. because it wont record with the seal on top.

It was a Grand Deed. And Im in CA

Thank you

PD: I told the SS that I will have to go back to the borrowers and have them sign the doc again
but it has to be with todays date.

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/10/05 2:44pm
Msg #69732

What exactly makes a Deed Grand? Was the property a castle?

Reply by Anonymous on 10/10/05 2:45pm
Msg #69733

Ha ha ha. That is funny.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/10/05 2:53pm
Msg #69736

Re: notary seal can be anyplace in the document?Need quick h

God people instead of answering properly you guys make funny of me.
I know I made a mistake, ok its a Grant Deed. Thank you; Becca.

Reply by Janel Nichols on 10/10/05 3:07pm
Msg #69740

First of all, I have one stupid burning question. O.k. maybe a couple stupid burning questions! Are we not all doing the same thing? What is with the Anonymous postings? Who cares if they see your name? Anyway before I digress, always remember, if you do not have enough room attach an acknowledgment. This is very basic. You should carry extra notary acknowledgements with you at all times. The TC or LO should not have had to call you on that one.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 10/10/05 3:11pm
Msg #69741

Civil Code 1189. Any certificate of ack should be substancially the following form:

State of
County of

on___before me, etc etc

Seal Signature

My understanding is that the seal should be within the certificate. If there is no room for the seal then you could attach a certificate.

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/10/05 3:28pm
Msg #69745

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, you could have saved yourself time by simply looking up the question in your State manual. OR, better yet, know what you are doing before you go out and put peoples money & property on the line.

Using a Notary that does not know where to stamp is like using a surgeon that does not know where to cut.

JMHO

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/10/05 4:27pm
Msg #69759

If I remember correctly, CA handbook, like the FL manual, does not state where the seal is to be placed. I don't think there is a statute that says it must be to the left or right or above or below the notary signature. So reading the book may not resolve the question. However, contacting the SOS office should resolve the issue for the notary.

The FL manual simply states, "You should never affix your seal over writing, and, if necessary, you may have to resort to the margin area of the document. You may also need to stamp your seal at an angle in order to make it fit the available space."

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/10/05 4:41pm
Msg #69764

I get what you're saying, Paul, but this is just plain common sense to me. Why would you sign the bottom of the doc and place the stamp at the top? Does a brain surgeon start at the foot to get to the head? What we do is not brain surgery, but does take a little common sense.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/10/05 5:30pm
Msg #69775

I agree, but I also have had the same situation where there was no place from my seal at the bottom of the document. I had to stamp it up near the venue (affidavit).

Reply by Giselle_CA on 10/10/05 5:50pm
Msg #69779

Paw, OT-the link I was given does not work!

The HTML code I was given for the Webring placed on my site does not work. I am given the following message:

Sorry you are still on the NSAring queue or your site doesn't belong to this ring !!!!!
Please contact the ring owner using this email address [e-mail address]

Could you please email me to correct the problem? Thanks! I am sending an email to you as well.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/10/05 6:50pm
Msg #69790

Correct HTML code for the NSA WebRing has been emailed.

Check your email. I sent you a fixed code segment the other day, but in case you didn't get it, I just resent it.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 10/10/05 7:17pm
Msg #69794

Paul, I rcv'd your email. Thanks for sending it. n/m

Reply by Anonymous on 10/10/05 8:16pm
Msg #69802

Half the time tc's cant find an ack stapled to a document, they'd probably never find a stamp at the top of a document lol.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 10/10/05 4:52pm
Msg #69767

For me, they key word on that code is "substantially."

Reply by LisaWI on 10/10/05 4:46pm
Msg #69765

Re: To Becca & Author of Post

It got a good laugh out of me!!! Humor is good, especially in this biz. But to the author of the post, I am always extra careful with mortgages and deeds, they are recorded and it pays to be extra careful on them. Food for thought on these particular docs: my seal is as close to my signature as possible, not enough room--extra certificate, no crossouts on these documents--if the borrower or me makes a mistake, I pull one from their package, and I also try to put my seal within the margin of the document. This is just how I handle these docs, and I am a bit on the anal side, so make your own judgement.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.