Notary Rotary
Out of State Borrower
Notary Discussion History

Out of State Borrower
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by S_LPVA on 10/20/05 12:35pm
Msg #71436

Out of State Borrower

Has anyone ever performed a closing for an out of state borrower?

To my understanding and from what my handbook states, VA notaries have limited powers in performing notarial acts outside the Commonwealth of Virginia. If docs are notarized,the docs will have to be recorded in VA.

But if the notarization is actually taking place in Virginia, does this apply (even though the borrower is from out of state)? And also, more than likely the docs will not be recorded in the state of VA if it's for a closing.

Any input would be great.

Thanks advance.

Reply by Art_MD on 10/20/05 12:41pm
Msg #71438

To the best of my knowledge, a commission in a state limits you to notarizing document while physically in the state. In your case, you must be in VA to notarize.

In general, notarizations done in one state are recognized in all other states. Many times I'll notarize docs for property in FL and DE. Have done a dozen other states once or twice. All notarization done in MD. Did one at a truck stop for a trucker - sent docs on to FL for the wife to sign before a FL notary.

Hope this answers the question.

Art

Reply by S_LPVA on 10/20/05 12:43pm
Msg #71439

Yes, you answered my question! You're the best Art! Thank you!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.