Notary Rotary
Pay for notarizing 3 docs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/6/05 9:19pm
Msg #69236

How should I charge someone who only wants a few docs notarized, including travel fee.
Thanks in advance. Also notarizing a title for a car.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/6/05 9:22pm
Msg #69238

What state are you in? Each state's fees vary.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/6/05 9:23pm
Msg #69239

I'm in Ohio

Reply by Cheryl_NV on 10/6/05 9:30pm
Msg #69242

It depends on what state you are in and what your state allows you to charge.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/6/05 9:42pm
Msg #69244

Well I can't help you because I don't know Ohio's fees. Sorry.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/6/05 10:03pm
Msg #69249

How much would anyone charge, regardless of you area. I'm curious of your fees if you traveled to someone home and notarized 3 docs?

Reply by Cheryl_NV on 10/6/05 10:14pm
Msg #69251

This question can not be answered because the different states set the fees.

Reply by Marie_NJ on 10/6/05 10:20pm
Msg #69252

You must review your state laws re: the applicable notary charge per page. Then, you must decide what you would charge to go x miles from your home/office - one way. Therefore, you should have a chart created for yourself to determine what you would charge either by county or zipcodes, which ever you prefer. I.E. You would charge $35.00 to go to X County; $50.00 for Z County.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/6/05 10:26pm
Msg #69253

We can only charge what our states allow us to charge for notarizations. Some states only allow $2 per notarization, some allow $10, and some only 50 cents.

You can only charge the fee Ohio allows you to charge for the notarizations, and if they allow you to charge a reasonable travel fee then you can charge a travel fee.

For Ohio:

§148.08 Fees
A notary public is entitled to the following fees:
(A) For the protest of a bill of exchange or promissory note, one dollar and actual necessary
expenses in going beyond the corporate limits of a municipal corporation to make presentment or demand;
(B) For recording an instrument required to be recorded by a notary public, ten cents for each one hundred words;
(C) For taking and verifying acknowledgments of deeds, mortgages, liens, powers of attorney,
and other instruments of writing, and for taking and certifying depositions, administering oaths, and other official services, the same fees are allowed by Section 2319.27 of the Revised Code or by law to clerks of the courts of common pleas for like service.
(D) For taking and certifying an affidavit, one dollar and fifty cents.

Here in Florida I can charge $10 for each notarization, so for notarizing 3 docs I can charge $30 plus a reasonable travel fee.
But if you were to charge the same in Ohio as I do in Florida, you could lose your commission for overcharging.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/6/05 10:30pm
Msg #69254

Thank you very much for the information.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/7/05 8:28am
Msg #69280

Re: You're kind of pushy, don't you think?

you come in here, hiding behind an anonymous handle -- what we are *allowed* to charge in our own state, is immaterial as to what you are allowed to charge in your own state. Read your own notary manual and call your SOS.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.