Notary Rotary
Printing to Kinkos - saving your printer
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Kat_in_NC on 10/13/05 1:17pm
Msg #70278

I received a call to do a closing at 7pm - had to print e-docs. I work full time and will not print at work but have discovered a great service from Kinkos (for those who have one near their home). They have a program called "PrintFedxKinkos." I also use this at work when I have big print jobs that would take too much to print here (like presentations).

You download the program and then when you want to print something thru them you just "file" "print" and choose them as the printer. It goes online, tells you how much they are going to charge (it is .08 per legal page - which ended up costing me approx. $15 for 2 sets) and I just set the time to pick them up at 6pm. That will give me time to review and make any additional copies (if needed like the 3 day cancel form) and get to my appt.

One thing - when you review them you cannot tell if it is legal size or not so check your PDF settings that they are not going to "shrink to fit." I also call and verify/let them know that the print job needs to all be on legal.

If you charge $25-$30 for edocs and it costs $15 and you are not too far from there then you are saving your printer, your ink, paper, drum, etc.

Just a tip for those who may be near a Kinkos.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/13/05 1:28pm
Msg #70283

I do not recommend doing this as it may be in violation of the GLB or SOX acts in regards to the handling of privacy information by third parties.

You just don't know what's going to be done with information. If they have a paper jam, they probably just throw the paper in the trash. What if that paper had YOUR name and YOUR SSN on it? Have you ever seen what they do at these "print shops". Some high school kid runs the printer/copier and simply stacks the paper on the counter for anyone with prying eyes to see. And I've even seen these stacks of paper get some sheets blown off when the front door was opened. Everyone scurried around picking them up and just putting them back on the stack, dirty and definitely out of order.

It's a great service, but I certainly would not consider it for printing of loan documents.

Reply by Kat_in_NC on 10/13/05 1:35pm
Msg #70286

I work for a pharma co and all the docs are VERY confidential, especially the FDA info. We use Kinkos for our marketing work because they have a shredding system and it is run by professionals. You can verify that they shred all docs with them. They do not want any liability either. If it were a "mom & pop" shop or if I had not had the verification from the pharmaceutical company I work for then I would be leary.... but I am comfortable with the confidentiality of the company.

Reply by Charm_AL on 10/13/05 1:49pm
Msg #70291

shredding marketing work by professionals is different than the employees (of Kinkos) and anyone else having access to someone's identity and private business. I'm with Paul on this one!
I don't recommend anyone using Kinkos or other printing services unless it's a dire emergency!!!

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 1:59pm
Msg #70294

I agree. I use them often. This is especially good if you get several last minute edocs. requests while you are on the road to another closing. It saves me a ton of time instead of going home ,downloading ,printing etc... They print each package and make me a copy with a slip sheet between them and put each set in a box. I have the TC or SS email right to Kinkos.I call and tell Kinkos the name of sender and to print a second set. I tell them when I'll pick them up. I can pick up a couple packages and be on my way. Also a convenient drop for Fedex.
I find the tech people there to be super nice and intelligent. I've had great experiences with them.

Reply by BLE/MD on 10/13/05 2:19pm
Msg #70298

Re: Printing to Kinkos - NO

I don't think this would be a good idea simply because of the greater potential for identity theft. You should really think about it. Would you be covered should someone's identity be stolen and it's found that you used a Kinko's to print!!! You could be sued by the irate borrower, not to mention, no one would give you more business.
Jmho,
Beth.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 2:25pm
Msg #70300

As far as I'm concerned if you are honest and tell the SS or TC to email it to Kinkos then they are well aware of whats happening. We are just notaries we are not here to save the world.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 2:25pm
Msg #70301

Most the docs I get the app is the only one that has the ss# - the others are not at risk. You can pull copies of a DOT offline on any property and the other docs do not include personal info. The app is usually a separate pdf and I print at home but the others dont contain info that could not be pulled up on public records. The big files dont have anything that would not be public info (address, name, etc)

Reply by BLE/MD on 10/13/05 2:29pm
Msg #70303

With that kind of thinking you're just an accident waiting to happen. I agree with Charm, ONLY IN AN EMERGENCY and that's if whoever contracted you is agreeing to it. Some companies will not agree to do this. I lost a closing about a year ago because my printer was not working properly and the title company was NOT comfortable with such a public printing of private documents.

Reply by Kat_in_NC on 10/13/05 2:50pm
Msg #70304

OK - I have not actually printed there with this job (only for my pharma day time job) but I can see some of the good and bad. As for emergencies, etc. I can see it working. As for ID Theft, unless you are putting out the ss# AND the person working at this place is looking to do that, or if you get a jam and the person doesnt shred etc, etc, then it can be a bad situation.

I do not see the PANICK if the TC or SS is ok w/it - especially in a crunch. If you take the precaution of printing the app elsewhere - the other info can't contribute to ID theft and the reputation of Kinkos is outstanding.

There are a MILLION instances of possibilities of dishonesty - the ups or fedx guy can open the env and get the info when you ship it back, the court clerk could get info - any person can pull info from your mailbox - there are bad people everywhere. It is not as if we are taking careless acts of putting someone's info out there.

We can only do our part to take care of the customer. I know that all of us want to efficiently and honestly provide service.

Reply by Beth Ellington on 10/13/05 2:57pm
Msg #70306

You said you you did use them...even quoted the cost. Which is it?

Reply by BLE/MD on 10/13/05 3:00pm
Msg #70307

It's not just the ap that has personal information and SS#!!!!

Reply by Nd_WA on 10/13/05 3:16pm
Msg #70312

What make you think only the application has the pertinent informations? The borroower's authorization released, the tax forms, etc. has ss# on them. Some people can loose their house even so b/c the DOT has the property information. They don't call them SCAM ARTIST for nothing.

I know Paul may charm in on this, but It took us (me & wife) over two years to clean up our stolen ID mess. You might want to wish that it will never happen to you or anyone else!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/13/05 5:46pm
Msg #70362

Andy, et al,

It's been almost 10 years since I had this nightmare. And it ain't over yet. Every now and then, something jumps up and bites me in the butt. Doesn't happen too often any more, but it's still there lurking in the shadowy corners.

Reply by Kat_in_NC on 10/13/05 3:51pm
Msg #70322

How I know the price

I use them for my Pharmaceutical print jobs/FDA filings/marketing for my day job.... that is how I know the price per page

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 4:25pm
Msg #70327

Re: You have contradicted your original post

from your original post its pretty obvious that have used Kinkos to print e-docs for at least one loan signing.instead of treading water and now denying it, just admit it. believe in what you believe in.admit that its a good idea or admit there may be problems with confidential identity information, but don't get caught up in your own lie.

-------------------------------
"I received a call to do a closing at 7pm - had to print e-docs. I work full time and will not print at work but have discovered a great service from Kinkos (for those who have one near their home). They have a program called "PrintFedxKinkos." I also use this at work when I have big print jobs that would take too much to print here (like presentations).

You download the program and then when you want to print something thru them you just "file" "print" and choose them as the printer. It goes online, tells you how much they are going to charge (it is .08 per legal page - which ended up costing me approx. $15 for 2 sets) and I just set the time to pick them up at 6pm. That will give me time to review and make any additional copies (if needed like the 3 day cancel form) and get to my appt. *

Reply by Kat_in_NC on 10/13/05 4:38pm
Msg #70336

Re: You have contradicted your original post

Ah, I did. Apologies. But I had not made the order for these docs and after reading some responses decided not to go the route as I did not talk to ss about it so, I am printing (as we speak) at home.

The responses gave me some insight that I do not want to take the responsibility for so thanks for the insight. Not worth the risk.

As for the Kinkos printing, I love it for jobs at my work and probably would be good for other purposes.

I run a lot of confidential pharma info thru them and feel confident with their confidentiality.

Efficiency is good and some things are good for this printing tool.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/13/05 5:39pm
Msg #70360

>>> the ups or fedx guy can open the env and get the info when you ship it back, the court clerk could get info <<<

These companies and the clerks are bonded, licensed and insured. The kid at Kinko's is not. Why do you think documents are sent via courier and not through the mail? Why do you think lots of companies require signatures for delivery? (The authorization that you provide to the courier services so no needs to sign for it, places all the responsibility squarely on your shoulders. Think about it.)

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/13/05 3:17pm
Msg #70314

Re: You haven't done many signings if you think the loan

app is the only one with the SS #.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/13/05 3:12pm
Msg #70311

Re: doesn't matter how super nice or intelligent they are,

you are dealing with a person's (Borrowers) life - their personal and confidential information. Identity theft is high and it's too easy for someone to steal it. IMO, printing to Kinkos is just handing everything to a thief.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/13/05 7:38pm
Msg #70384

Aside from the confidentiality issues which have already been addressed, most of the edocs I receive aren't pdf files, they're links to websites. I've had to download a zillion different apps onto my computer to print docs for various companies. Is Kinkos really going to download these things into their computers to print docs for us?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.