Notary Rotary
Scraping the bottom of the barrel...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by AnnaCA on 10/14/05 2:41pm
Msg #70533

...and I hate to say that about myself, but given the call I got from a SS yesterday for a last minute closing, that's what I think is going on here.

The woman said she got my name from the NNA website. I'm not a certified SA yet, I'm in the process of taking the exam, which I told her. She got off the phone so fast, she left skidmarks on my ear! Said she'd call me back, but of course never did. I wouldn't have accepted the assignment anyway--I'm not comfortable taking on a closing yet.

The NNA's site is the only place I'm registered so far, but I'll be registering here (for the paid subscription) and with as many SS as possible once I'm certified. Anyone who's familiar with the NNA's SA registry knows that the certified SAs are given preference by being listed at the top of the page in a constantly rotating random order. That means us non-certified folks are thrown in underneath. There are so many certified SAs in my area that a SS would have to slog through a good chunk of the list before getting to me. Made me think she was desperate, low-balling, or had a no-pay/slow-pay rep with notaries and was hoping to find an uninformed newbie. I decided to do a search on the company when I got home.

The woman identified herself so fast, and I was driving when I took the call, that I didn't catch the SS name. I looked through my phone history and found that it was a 925 area code number (I'd post the number, but I don't want to get in trouble if that's a no-no). I did a whitepages.com reverse phone lookup and it said the phone number was for a cell phone in Livermore, CA.

Anyone know any no-no siging services in or near Livermore, CA?

-AnnaCA

Reply by Chris_NJ on 10/14/05 8:10pm
Msg #70591

I have no comment about your experience, other than to say, Even if your new or not, never be afraid to ask a question outright. I've found that if you are direct (in a professional manner), you have every right to have terms,info, etc. thoroughly clear between you and whomever employs you or chooses not to. That is not anything you should shy away from. If you didn't hear someone clearly, ask them to repeat themselves, etc,etc,. This is your business, don't be hesitant for any reason, you'll want to promote, protect and improve constantly. I think in the long or short end most professionals will respect and appreciate it. I do have one comment, (just my personal opinion), If your not ready to do signings, don't advertise that you do. You'll know when your 'jumping in time' is. I wish you the best of luck.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/14/05 10:26pm
Msg #70632

Re: What makes you think

they are on a no-no list or that she was desperate, low-balling, or had a no-pay/slow-pay rep in hopes of finding an uninformed newbie simply because once you told her your weren't NNA certified, she said she'd get back with you?

In my experience, they may have been a $50 company, because I've noticed that once I let my NNA membership lapse, I have quit getting the low-ball SS calls -- but, since you don't have the experience, you could take the opportunity to cut your teeth and learn the signing ropes with these first callers -- because the low pay companies are usually the babysitters/hand holders.

Reply by AnnaCA on 10/14/05 11:47pm
Msg #70646

Because, I'm not yet certified, so my name appears underneath all the certified NSAs. That means any SS looking for a notary on the NNA website would have to scroll through pages of certified NSAs before getting to my name in the non-certified section. It made me think that perhaps the SS had already gone called many of the certified NSAs that refused to do the signing for them for whatever reason (i.e., low balling, no pay/slow pay), and that's why they ended up calling me.

But since I don't know for sure that it's a bad SS, that's why I asked if there were any no-no companies in Livermore, CA.

-AnnaCA

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/15/05 12:13am
Msg #70649

don't put too much stock in no-no lists -- there are any number of reasons a company can appear and what is one persons trash is another's gold mine.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.