Notary Rotary
Signatures
Notary Discussion History

Signatures
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/27/05 8:36am
Msg #72587

Signatures

I know for the Deed of Trust and other notarized docs, it's really important for the borrowers to sign exactly as their name is spelled, what about for the non notarized docs, such as W-9 and such? The woman's printed name didn't have her mid initial and she was used to signing it. All notarized docs were done correctly, but after signing I missed a doc where she added her mid initial. She also didn't add that to her signature affidavit, I asked if they were known by other names to print and sign, but they only signed for their pre printed name. Her husband was pretty old and I told him repeatedly to sign as it is spelled. I guess he had one of those signatures that, well you couldn't read unless you really tried to figure it out and he probably signed like that for years, but after staring at it, I don't really believe that it had his middle initial when all docs had his middle initial pre printed. You really have to study it to notice. I'm nervous now.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 10/27/05 9:36am
Msg #72598

I instruct each borrower to sign the documents as their name is printed below. So far I have never had a come back doing this. If the name is not printed (rarely) Then I have them sign according to the DOT. I have noticed that on some documents the name may or may not have a middle initial, again I have them sign it as is.

Reply by srnotary_CA on 10/27/05 9:42am
Msg #72603

Probably a stupid question but Isn't the saying always less is okay but never more?

Reply by LawrenceOK on 10/27/05 10:22am
Msg #72626

How many 100's of pages of instructions have you seen that always say "Borrower(s) Must Sign As Printed On The Documents". As for the old saying, If ID says "John Earl Doe" and the docs are printed John E Doe, then yes.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/27/05 2:03pm
Msg #72697

I wouldn't worry about it. You instructed him to sign as the docs appear, his signature is very messy so you would never know. I think as a signing agent there are a lot worse things you could do.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.