Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Slow Printing Problem Resolved! If anyone is interested...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by SLP_VA on 10/31/05 10:52pm
Msg #73318

...and has a slow printing problem with an HP Laser printer, the number to technical support for assistance and resolution of the problem is 1800-474-6836.

I had another signing tonight where docs were sent to me in enough time to facilitate a closing. This signing was received from the same company that I've had problems printing from in the past. It downloaded really quickly, but when I clicked to print, it was VERY, VERY slow. I decided to get on the phone with HP technical support. There had to be some kind of reason why docs were printing really, really slow for this company's docs. The tech guy was very, very helpful and after about an hour on the phone, he helped me resolve the problem.

Art, you may have stated this in one of your posts, but the problem was that I had the wrong driver installed for my printer. We unistalled the printer (and all properties associated with it), restarted the computer and installed the printer hardware again with the correct driver information installed. Once we did that, I had no problems printing 105 pages + a copy for the borrower (in less than 5 minutes). I was extremely happy with his help and even spoke to his supervisor about how helpful he was.

I know how frustrating slow printing can be and just thought I'd share! Smiley

Have a good night everyone.

Reply by FastCA on 10/31/05 11:25pm
Msg #73321

Good tip! Thanks. I had the same problem, but I found out that sometimes when you are receiving PDF files they were sent in graphic mode instead of text mode.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 10/31/05 11:43pm
Msg #73323

I had the the same problem and I just shut the printer down for a few minuetes to clear the cache out and cool it down. Then everything printed quickly. When in doubt shut down.

Reply by SLP_VA on 11/1/05 6:47am
Msg #73337

I did that several times..Nothing seemed to work. I guess each person has a different problem when they have slow printing. I'm just glad I got my issue resolved. Now - no more missed or late appointments!

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/1/05 1:16am
Msg #73331

Could you please tell us...

What model HP laser printer do you have?
What driver did you uninstall?
What driver did you install?

Thanks.

Reply by SLP_VA on 11/1/05 6:50am
Msg #73338

Re: Could you please tell us...

I have a HP 1320n.

The PCL 6 driver was uninstalled.

The PS driver was installed.

He had me go to the HP website, find my printer model under downloads and once downloaded, he took me through too many steps to remember.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/1/05 7:30am
Msg #73340

You do realize that now your HP printer is not compatible with direct printing programs that require PCL. Therefore, I make the following recommendation:

Leave the PS (PostScript) driver installed, which may work better with "image" type files. In ADDITION, add a new printer with the PCL 6 driver. Then, you will basically have two different printers as far as your PC is concerned, affording you the capability to chose which driver to use from the printer selection menu. FWIW, on all my printers, I have installed each of the drivers: PCL6, PCL5 and PS. When I need to print, they each appear in my 'printer list' and I simply click on the printer/driver combination I want to use.

Reply by SLP_VA on 11/1/05 7:32am
Msg #73341

Thank you Paw...Do I just go to the HP website again or do I

just go to my printer and fax folder and click add new printer??

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/1/05 7:36am
Msg #73342

Re: Thank you Paw...Do I just go to the HP website again or

Yep! Do it exactly the same way you did for the PS driver. You are basically installing a new printer, though the port address (physical connection) will be the same. After installing the PCL6 driver as a new printer, you should see something like the following in your printer list:

HP LaserJet 1320 - PS
HP LaserJet 1320 PCL6

Reply by SLP_VA on 11/1/05 7:39am
Msg #73343

Thanks again Paw! You are so knowledgable when it comes to everything!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/1/05 7:45am
Msg #73345

Not really. You are simply asking the right questions! Smiley

Reply by Dennis D Broadbooks on 11/1/05 9:12am
Msg #73356

HP's PCL 6/5e Driver

Paul,

It's been my experience with the "Adobe/pdf slowness" issue with my HP printers that their PCL 6 driver is the culprit. I've read on several web site forums that HP's PCL 6 driver has some compatibility issues with pdf files & their PCL 5e driver seems to be the solution. That's exactly what's worked for me. It jumped up & bit me again just in the past few weeks when I purchased a new HP 1320 printer & thought that finally I could use PCL 6 drivers with the new Adobe Reader 7.05 program. Nyet! The first time I tried to print an imaged pdf file sent to me by a SS the slowness issue manifested itself again. Switching back to the PCL 5e driver corrected the problem. The "trigger" here (as you've mentioned before) appears to be "imaged" pdf files, as I can print regular pdf files via the PCL 6 drivers with no problem.

I bow to the master (you, Paul!) on computer matters, but also thought some additional input couldn't hurt.

Dennis

Reply by PAW_Fl on 11/1/05 10:53am
Msg #73383

Re: HP's PCL 6/5e Driver

It depends on what software package was used to develop the PDF file. I have found that 99% of the time, PCL6 (on a 1300 and 3330 printer) has always outpaced the PCL5e driver. It's that 1% that frustrates everyone and it's the "problems" that stick in our minds.

So far as I know, no one, not even HP, Cnet or any other "testing labs" have been able to definitively describe or document an incompatibility between the 5e and 6 versions of PCL. (Version 6 does not have any really new functionality over 5e, just that a 'new' C++ like language is being used.) The new 'language' may cause some slowdowns especially with limited PC and printer memory.

As I said in my previous post, I keep all three drivers loaded and available for each of my printers, just in case.

One of the most common problems with printer drivers, especially when multiple devices share the same driver elements, is that an older element (dll for example) gets left over and causes some problems. The solution isn't an easy one as it requires manually removing some of the drivers and associated elements. But doing so may render another device inoperable.

Reply by Rick_NY on 11/1/05 11:07am
Msg #73390

That is a brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Rick

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 11/1/05 12:18pm
Msg #73415

Thanks PAW!...

What you suggest is such a SIMPLE solution I don't know why I never thought of it!!!
Guess I'm not simple-minded - lol!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.