Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
The Little Things -- from the SA's view.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Tina_MA on 10/27/05 6:35pm
Msg #72751

There was a post a while back about the little things we could do for the borrower. Why can't the borrowers do courteous things for us like:

* shoveling clear path though three feet of snow to their front/side door -- how can I be dressed professionally when I need to wear a snowsuit and snowshoes?

* leaving outside lights on so that one can find their home easier at night, and see when walking up to their door -- I like to embarrass them by using my huge Maglite (it takes 4 D batteries) to make my way to their front door; it's an unsubtle reminder that they should have turned on their outside lights

* keep children and animals off the table -- it's kind of hard to sign docs when a child or a cat is sitting on them, trying to crumple them up, write on them, drool on them, throw them on the floor, etc.

* having a cleared and clean kitchen or dining table to sign on -- years ago, I had a package that resembled translucent onion skins due to huge pieces of pages left sticking to the table, there's nothing more frustrating than having to instruct a borrower on the finer points of table wiping

I could go on and on, but these are the little things that would make me happy....

Reply by Dee_RI on 10/27/05 7:06pm
Msg #72752

And....

* Please do not allow your dogs to jump in my lap and proceed to lick my entire head - I already took a shower - thank you very much

* Don't just get up and walk away from the table to make a snack or make a personal call

* Make sure you wash your hands after using the bathroom...remember I can hear the toilet flush and see you leave the bathroom within seconds of flushing (yuck!)

* Please do not let your child grab my stamp off the table and the proceed to stamp your arm and whatever else the child wants. I have my stamp our for a professional reason, not to play school.

* Please allow me to finish my sentence before signing so you won't sign the section that says "I wich to cancel" because you wouldn't let me finish.

Reply by BetsyMI on 10/27/05 8:26pm
Msg #72756

Re: And....

* have a babysitter for your unruly children so that we can proceed with your signing uninterrupted

* have your dog secured in another room or the yard

* feed your children BEFORE I get there

* let your phone calls go to voicemail....I'm sure anyone will be fine waiting 30 minutes more before they hear from you

Reply by SusanOH on 10/27/05 9:27pm
Msg #72762

Re: And....

One of my favorites, please breast feed before I get there and not in the middle of the signing at the table.

Reply by Sara_NV on 10/27/05 10:00pm
Msg #72776

Re: And.... More Dogs

They know I'm arriving at a certain time for an appt. Why can't they get the stinkin dogs in the garage or outside or in another room BEFORE I get there? Instead, I'm made to stand on the porch in the pouring rain while they wrestle the dogs into another room. The other night, I rang the doorbell, the dogs started going crazy, I hear voices about "getting the dogs outside," the wife opens the door a crack and says "Just a second, we're getting the dogs outside." So I'm waiting, waiting, finally let into the house only to have the dogs start jumping on me, licking and sniffing. And I want to scream when the borrowers say "He won't bite, he'll only lick you to death."

I'm going to start giving the "I've had a terrible experience with dogs when I was a child and if you have them would you please put them out before I get to your house" story.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/27/05 11:49pm
Msg #72800

For everyone who truly doesn't like dogs or want them around, the time to tell Borrowers to have them put away before you get there is in the initial phone call setting the appointment.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 10/28/05 1:38am
Msg #72808

What I tell my classes is if you don't like children/dogs/cats don't get in the loan signing business.
I think you are in the wrong business; one of the worst thing you can do is to tell a borrower you have had a bad experience with an animal/children and would have difficulty doing a loan signing with them. This might be a joke with you but borrowers take their children and their animals very seriously.

MAKE IT EASY TO GET HIRED

I will give everyone some free advice from what I teach at our loan signing classes and that is:

1. Put a profile next to your name or you won't be hired.

2. Put your address where the documents can be delivered; one of the worst mistakes you can make is making a new company ask you to spell your address and the docs. don't arrive. Guess who will be blamed? Duh!
I live at Via Mesa Verde in Riverside Calif, try spelling that to some on the East Coast!!

All the new notaries out there that want advice: MAKE IT EASY TO GET HIRED!

Joan

Reply by HisHughness on 10/29/05 8:31am
Msg #72986

The nicest part of my job is the family pets I meet, especially the dogs.

If I am asked to do a signing on the coffee table, with a dining table available, I decline and ask that the table be sufficiently cleared to do the signing there. The borrowers have elected to do the signing in their home for the convenience; that being the case, I expect them to provide an adequate signing environment. I have already informed them in advance that the signing will probably take an hour or more, and will involve 130-150 pages of documents. At my age, I'm not going to stay hunched over a coffee table for an hour or so because the borrowers elect to store last week's unfoled laundry on the only large flat surface in the house.

I have never found an effective way to deal with demanding children. The best I do is simply to remain silent when Mom/Dad begin making excuses; that conveys the message that the child is indeed a distraction, and perhaps motivates the parents to be more inclined to try sterner measures. They seldom work, though. It certainly is far too late for a lecture on birth control.

My grandchildren, of course, would never ever not in a million jillion years misbehave in such a fashion.

Which somehow brings to mind the time George Bush was told, in his morning briefing, that three Brazilian soldiers had been killed by terrorists the day before.

"Oh, how sad!" George gasped. There was a momentary pause, and then he asked, "How much is a brazillion?"

Reply by Anonymous on 10/27/05 9:37pm
Msg #72766

Re: Dogs

the dogs live there, I don't. Dogs can sense if you're an animal person. As a dog person myself, most end up under the table asleep on my feet

Reply by PMA_NJ on 10/27/05 10:20pm
Msg #72782

I myself and a dog lover and I have no issues with completing a signing with dogs around. I even carry a small supply of milkbones in my carry bag... Borrowers Love It!

Reply by PMA_NJ on 10/27/05 10:21pm
Msg #72783

am a dog lover.... not "and a dog lover" duh! hrgoihargiohfvjbnujhartg80ydsfasdoivjlzkjcvlkzxjcvlkajfghagjh <--- smashing head on keyboard

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/27/05 11:38pm
Msg #72797

I love the dogs and also include treats in my brief case. Last week I had one sitting on each side of me -- each with his head in my lap, nudging me when they needed a pat on their heads. A few weeks before that, I did the entire signing with, what was the dog on Frasier?--at any rate, he was 2 months old, had been locked in his cage all day, and sat in my lap the entire signing. Yes, he would have been mighty easy to take home.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/28/05 1:18am
Msg #72806

I LOVE going to a signing w/ friendly dogs! I have to admit, it's a bit of a distraction. I would rather hand the brwr my stamp & a pen so that I could just go hang out w/ the dog! there was a little boston terrier at the last signing I did & it was the coolest thing ever! I think I might have to get one Smiley

Reply by PJM/MI on 10/28/05 7:21am
Msg #72826

Re: Dogs & Kids

Looks like we've got a bunch of dog lovers here! I for one, am one of them. I can always remember the dogs name, but not always the borrowers. Smiley
I do agree with the first post... there are alot of things the borrowers could do for us. I can't begin to count all the times I've signed sitting on the floor, as the table (if there is one) is piled high with papers and other items. (Where do these people eat.. in front of the TV?)
Turning on the outside lights would also be helpful....sometimes borrowers act like we should know exactly where they live."Whadda mean.. you drove around the block 4 times? I told ya' to turn at the oak tree". (I can't tell an oak from a maple when it's dark outside).
I also agree..children are cute & funny, but not when they are sitting at the table wanting to eat, color, fuss, etc.,

Reply by ivanafive on 10/28/05 1:52pm
Msg #72887

yep i'm a dog lover too but have to admit i hadn't thought of adding treats to my bag before i go. maybe if i throw i cookie to the kid, it might keep him quiet for a while too! (sorry in advance to any parents who might take offense). i'll add one more....the table is too full of stuff to clear so let's use the coffee table. you sink into a sofa so far that your knees are up to your eyeballs. where the heck is my chiropracter and can i use her as a business expense?

Reply by Kerrie Debney on 10/28/05 2:59pm
Msg #72899

I love that one!!! oh yea, sinking all the way down to the floor& doing the skooch to try to get back to the table! so funny!

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/28/05 3:38pm
Msg #72913

Re: So what if people don't use the table to eat on ...

We are not there to judge how or why people live like they do. In today's society, many people are working 50 or 60 hours per week -- add to that being involved in their kids' activities, and many don't have have much home time. If they use the table to pile papers or whatever, or if they eat in front of the TV, what business is it our ours?

If they didn't stay up all night cleaning the house for me, as long as my shoes don't get stuck to the floor, I don't care. I'm not there to *inspect* how they live.

Reply by Kerrie Debney on 10/29/05 12:44am
Msg #72966

I agree w/ you! Sometimes though, it would have made you happier to not step in the dog-poo. That's all :l... I have talked to some notaries & they are freaked out by the littlest things & some have posted those OCD's Smiley With the kids & the dogs, it's pretty rude to be stand offish or frustrated w/ them. Unless you are allergic to animals or really are terribly frightened, be polite! People already feel a little weird by a complete stranger coming to their house. That's enough preachin' for tonight Smiley Someone else wanna jump on this soap-box??

Reply by christiSocal on 10/29/05 4:19am
Msg #72972

I don't care what their house looks like (eom nobody better look at mine!) BUT it is nice to have a clean table and good seating. I hate trying to explain to a title co why their precious docs have peanut butter and jelly stains. I also hate those couches you sink so low into, I can't tell you how many times after the signing I have to slooowly get up and carefully step so that my sore aching body won't fall flat and embarrass all of us. :(

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.