Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Wrong wording on Acknowledgement (CALIFORNIA)
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/19/05 9:50pm
Msg #71299

I just received a package for a signing tomorrow and they have already filled in the county on the acknowledgement and it is WRONG! Should I just attach a loose acknowledgement to each doc or cross through and put the correct county?

Reply by Judy Cobb on 10/19/05 10:04pm
Msg #71304

Attach a new acknowledgement with the proper county. I like to put a paperclip attached to the wrong one, just so you don't get a call from the title co.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/19/05 10:25pm
Msg #71315

There is no need to attach another certificate, just cross out county name, write in the correct county and initial your change.

Reply by Joan Bergstrom on 10/20/05 1:58am
Msg #71350

Re: You do not have to initial the change (CALIFORNIA)

You do not have to initial the change: there is no wording in our 2005 Calif. Notary Handbook that says we need to initial the changes we make in the Notarial Certificate.

Initialing changes is the "National Notary Assoc" interpretation of our Calif State Handbook.

I have never initialed a change I have made in the Notarial Certificate in the 4 years I have been a Calif. Notary, and I have never had any notarized document returned to me because I didn't initial a change I made in the Notarial Certificate.

I teach students to pass the Calif. State Notary Exam.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/20/05 8:44am
Msg #71365

Re: You do not have to initial the change (CALIFORNIA)

I know your background Joan - and you are correct in that there's no language about it from the SOS.

But if you're working for a signing service, three of them (in a fax back of acknowledgements) asked me to initial my change, and even clerks at my Recorders office have called me on it when recording docs - seems they have become used to seeing those initials after changes in the certificate.

Whether required or not, it seems to be an "accepted" pratice.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.