"Just a notary" and a PS for RURAL NSAs
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by BrendaTX on 10/7/05 12:45pm
Msg #69338

I have been reading things on notary boards regarding being "Just a notary."

Can you be "just a notary" when you have accepted assignments for or you are willing to be paid for more than a notary?

The assignments I take usually mean I have allowed myself to be called a remote notary closer, or a notary signing agent, or even a notary loan document courier.

Whatever you choose to allow yourself to be called in a notary loan signing appointment, you have a function that suggests, if not requires you to "introduce" a document, then if necessary to point to certain salient points of the document if questions are asked.

I do not provide any verbal answers that are not in a document before me and the current bwr at the time of the assignment.

The "why" answers may not be there and that's usually when I say it's time to make a call.

The querying call can either be made at that time or during the three day rescission period following the signing date if you are not doing a refi on an investment property, a purchaser / seller assignment, or other no-3-day-rescission period bearing assignment.

Knowing the contents of loan or real estate documents will make it possible to know when to call and when to point to the answer vs. keeping quiet and suggesting a call to the lender. If you know the docs, you also know if you can get an answer from the title company for the bwrs (or signers).

Get familiar with the docs and where the answers are that the signers and/or bwrs usually want.

Now, back to the "introducing" part...If I an introduced, my name is given and the relevant function I am filling will be mentioned:

BrendaTx - She's my mother.
or
BrendaTx - This is my neighbor.
or
BrendaTx - She's the owner.

Whatever the case, the introduction is not an exhaustive dissertation of all my functions or background information such as where I was born, what jobs I have held, my address, my social security number, where I got my car fixed last, or what size pantyhose I wear.

So, by introducing the Deed of trust in a loan closing I say:

"This is what is known as the Deed of Trust. This is the document that is filed at the courthouse after you have signed it and all the loan documents are reviewed by the proper individuals."

If it is a note, I say: "Here is the note. It states the terms of your loan."

Now, if the bwr asks me "WHY did I get charged that rate when the loan guy said it would be a different rate?" I cannot answer that and would be remiss if I tried to overstep my bounds there.

Just some thoughts along these lines. As Lee would say... Fire away.

============
PS: Lee if you are reading, and Lawrence, others...as well...I am thinking about generating some understanding of the RURAL signing agent through a network. My Texas NSA Network is not dead, but it's becoming anemic because of lack of commitment on the part of some of them to market. What I was left with which WORKS GREAT is a core of rural agents who understand MARKETING IS THE KEY. Rural agents, if you are out there...let's try to brainstorm on this. Please contact me at my email. Put Rural in the Subject.

Reply by MaggieMae_CA on 10/7/05 12:48pm
Msg #69341

Excellent summation on the topic! n/m

Reply by Anonymous on 10/7/05 1:52pm
Msg #69378

The assignments I take usually mean I have allowed myself to be called a remote notary closer, or a notary signing agent, or even a notary loan document courier.

I prefer "Independant Loan Closer" - (ILC)

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/7/05 2:37pm
Msg #69390

Excellent synopsis

Sometimes I just don't have the time to read all the way through Brenda's posts. However, this time, I read it twice. Excellent synopsis. IMO, this is the way we should do our business.

Thank you Brenda.

Reply by Nd_WA on 10/7/05 7:54pm
Msg #69456

Ditto

I don't have an "introduction", but rather, a 30 seconds disclaimer to the borrowers/signers of who I am and my function is at the table. That usually get the "why" question off their minds while going through the pile.

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/7/05 8:11pm
Msg #69462

Re: Excellent synopsis - Paul / Andy

**Sometimes I just don't have the time to read all the way through Brenda's posts. **

The question which comes to mind is ..." Welllllllll, Paul, what else could be more important?"

Thanks.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/7/05 8:28pm
Msg #69466

Re: Excellent synopsis - Paul / Andy

" Welllllllll, Paul, what else could be more important?"

Wellllllll, let's see: Dinner, dining, dancing, driving, ... the list could go on and on and on. Smiley {Notice, I did not say drinking!!}

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.