Notary Rotary
do you have a business license?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 10/10/05 6:46pm
Msg #69788

I'm in CA. Do you all have a business license for your notary signing?

Reply by cyndi_ca on 10/10/05 7:43pm
Msg #69796

I was just advised to get one from my tax lady. I think it's about $40.00. I'm in so cal. Where are you?

Reply by Anonymous on 10/10/05 7:48pm
Msg #69798

I am in Nor Cal. Have you advertised directly to title companies and lenders without having your business license? I am just curious as I am new to this.

Thanks!

Reply by cyndi_ca on 10/10/05 8:14pm
Msg #69801

No I have not, but intend to do so shortly. I want to have more knowledge and experience before
I do so. Don't want to be looking stupid or being for that matter

Reply by Signing_Doc on 10/10/05 7:50pm
Msg #69799

I don't know about y'all, but here in Lost Wages (Las Vegas), a notary is not required to have a business license...therefore I don't...NOTB (None of their business)...all the fees I acrue go through my corporation...Stuart Las Vegas NV

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/10/05 8:00pm
Msg #69800

In most states/counties (and parishes), notaries are not required to have a business license. However, the job of a notary SIGNING AGENT, is much more than being a notary, and as such, many jurisdictions have required business licenses for that business. Let's face it, you are not being paid as a notary, but as a signing agent getting much more (usually) as a signing agent than you would if you were strictly a notary public.

Reply by Kyle Ledgard on 10/10/05 9:41pm
Msg #69808

No one here in San Diego city offices were 100% sure so they called their bosses. Their bosss told them I did not need a license. In their estimation, we are notaries with additional training/knowledge about loan documents.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/10/05 9:49pm
Msg #69809

The issue is a business decision...are you in business for yourself? What are the guidelines in your particular city for a business license? Are there any tax ramifications for having or not having a license? Those are the questions YOU need to answer about your own business when setting it up.

For me, I would not rely on "bosses" or "notary" requirements. If my business is a serious one, and my city required one for the type of business I was in, and if my tax consultant recommended it, I would get one....the same would apply if I did not need a license.

Each self-employed individual needs to weigh these things for themselves.

Reply by Becca_FL on 10/10/05 10:19pm
Msg #69810

My County does not require a license. When I went to get my license, the gals in the Tax office said I did not need one. Well, I did need a license to open a bussiness checking account. I renewed this year under misc., again. I feel so slighted. :(

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/10/05 10:34pm
Msg #69811

My heart goes out to you Becca. Awful.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/11/05 12:08am
Msg #69823

can you still write expenses off for taxes if you don't have the business license?

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.