Notary Rotary
e Mobile Notary - Watch Out!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Katherine M. Gomez Madrigal on 10/13/05 5:30pm
Msg #70356

As is always the case -- some of us have problems being paid and others do not. I have just had a bad experience with e Mobile Notary. They did not tell me that they wait until they are paid by a TC before paying me. Then, when I called to find out what's up, I got conflicting stories. Bottom line, I agreed to handle a difficult signing. Now, 45 days later and after calling twice for payment info, I am told that I have been "zeroed out" (whatever that means) and will get paid when I get paid! My reply was simple, "I will send you a five-day demand for payment letter and if I do not receive payment, you will get an invitation to our Superior Court-Small Claims Division." For those of you who are starting out, I am beginning to believe that the best SS I have worked for will ask for a W-9, Contract, Resume, copies of your state commission, E&O and Bond insurance, etc. Those folks are pros. They will also inform you of their payment schedule -- stick with them -- avoid the sponges who live off your hard work!

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 5:36pm
Msg #70359

Call the Borrower and explain the situation and ask them if they can help you out. Nicely explain that you cannot afford to work for free. Do you remember if the received any money back on HUD? Always helps collecting when you know they received big bucks back at funding. I think "zeroed out" means they blacklisted you from thier list of SA's...which is good for you cause now you don't have to worry about them ever calling you again! LOLSmiley Seriously, call the borrower.............it always works for me.

Reply by Mindy_WA on 10/13/05 5:42pm
Msg #70361

Re: asking bwrs to pay is Unethical!

I have done a lot of collecting and would NEVER call the borrower. They PAID for the docs to be signed in the first place. WHY would you ask them to pay again? That is not ethical. The problems you have with the SS are not issues the bwrs should have to deal with. You have a contract with the SS. I would try to call the TC and see if they can light a fire under the SS. That is your only and LAST recourse. I would try to be nice and deal with the SS.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 10/13/05 6:12pm
Msg #70369

I agree with Mindy. I have always called the TC and suddenly I get paid. The TC is their bread and butter and they can lose work because of this.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 10/13/05 6:26pm
Msg #70371

I did one from them in Sept and was just paid. About 30 days.

Reply by Katherine M. Gomez Madrigal on 10/13/05 6:45pm
Msg #70376

That's great! I think e Mobile Notary doesn't pay their notaries until the TC pays them or even later. You may have been paid because e Mobile Notary was paid by the TC timely. I suspect there is a level of mobile notary companies that can't afford to pay notaries until the TC pays the SS. They don't tell the notaries that is the situation. These are under capitalized businesses and are probably too risky for folks like me who cannot afford to carry accounts for long periods of time, e.g., 45 days+. I think I will stick with the established firms for now.

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 10/13/05 8:16pm
Msg #70392

I did a signing for them about 5 years go. I waited 9 months to get paid. When I called the guy (think his name is Tom) told me I was obviously new to the signing agent business or I would know that a signing agent got paid only when and if the signing company got paid.
I refused to work for them again.

But asking the borrowers to pay is very unethical, you do not have a contract with the borrowers.They have already paid out of their loan for the signing.

Reply by Katherine M. Gomez Madrigal on 10/13/05 6:26pm
Msg #70373

When money is overdue, I always ask nicely on the chance it was an oversight. When I have to call a second time nd get a runaround from staff and the owner gives mew the bum's rush, then I get serious about demanding my money. I cannot afford to work for free -- wish I could. I would never call the borrower -- it's not their problem. I may go ahead and call the TC tomorrow and find out if that loan has funded. If it has, then I would let them know their notary agency isn't paying me. Finally, Notary Rotary provides a great service with their "Notary Talk". This is the best way to keep each other apprised of what is going on in the industry!

Reply by Kevin Thrasher on 10/13/05 8:27pm
Msg #70394

It is unethical to call borrower and ask to be paid. The borrower has already paid the fees associated with the re-fi.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/13/05 6:48pm
Msg #70377

Contacting the borrower after the closing has been completed is one of the worst things you can do unless you are asked to by the SS ot the TC. The borrowers (might??) will contact their lender who will inturn contact the Title Company, and then TC will contact the SS. Whomever hired you will most likely not be using you agian for causing that problem. and if the lender remembers you name you may never do a closing for that lender again. The best way to get you money may be to contact the TC who hired the Signing Service. If you bug the TC enouph and play dumb like you think they might owe you the money ( and be nice about this!) (and email them also) then after a while they will know who you are and they might help you get paid (so long that you made sure you executed the docs and they were returned on time). If the TC is happy they will do what they can to help you. you could do the same with the lender also. The big thing is to stay professional and be patient and be nice to whom ever you talk to.

Reply by Kevin Thrasher on 10/13/05 8:38pm
Msg #70395

Contact the title co or the lender. They are probably not aware that the SS is not paying the notary. Also file a complaint with BBB and your state attorney general. And, file a complaint with small claims court.

Reply by Katherine M. Gomez Madrigal on 10/14/05 3:21am
Msg #70438

I will contact the BBB. I think that is an excellent idea especially since I see that other notaries have had problems with this SS too. I am also very comfortable using the small claims route. It is high time we are treated a lot better. After all, we are professionals and are entitled to be paid for our work. I find I am performing an average of 6 to 7 notarizations per borrower! Thanks for all the supportive comments.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.