Notary Rotary
skeptical....
Notary Discussion History

skeptical....
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Kimberly_IN on 10/11/05 9:44pm
Msg #69971

skeptical....

Alright, it's time for me to buy a drum for my printer. (cringe) I'm also going to buy toner while I'm at it. These "compatible" cartridges I see on inkjet superstore, are they OK to use? Anybody had any problems? I love the price but I don't want things to mess up because it isn't original stuff nor do I want my warranty to be voided. It just seems too good to be true.

Reply by CMS_NY on 10/11/05 9:58pm
Msg #69973

I JUST (tonight) replaced my toner cartridge with the COMPATIBLE tn-570 for my Brother 5150DLT Printer....

I printed a few test pages and it seems to be working fine! As for the warranty however, I don't think Brother approves of using other brand cartridges.

I haven't had the "pleasure" of replacing my Drum yet, so we'll see when that issue arises.

Good luck and I'll be looking forward to hearing other responses as well.

Reply by BetsyMI on 10/12/05 9:28am
Msg #70000

To CMS_NY...how long before you had to replace your toner cartridge? Or I guess I'd say how many pages before it's necessary? I have the 5150DLT also.

Reply by Art_MD on 10/12/05 9:58am
Msg #70005

Re: toner cartridge - pages/cartridge.

I use the same cartridge in my 5140. Get about 4500 pages on the tn570 cartridge (I refill).

Art

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/12/05 12:54am
Msg #69982

"I love the price but I don't want things to mess up because it isn't original stuff nor do I want my warranty to be voided."

I refill my toner cartridges. I save about $65 each time I refill. I could care less about the warranty on my printer because with the money I've saved I could have bought 3 replacement printers by now.

Reply by Cari_MO on 10/12/05 10:06am
Msg #70007

I refill also. I have a brother HL 5170 DNTL. I did wonder how may times can you refill the cartridge ? Anyone know. I have refilled my about 3 times so far and still printing great.
I have not had to replace my drum yet on my 5170. But I do have a brother fax that says replace drum soon. I was looking at the compatible ones also. Any one use them ?

Reply by Art_MD on 10/12/05 10:15am
Msg #70009

A cartidge can be refilled between 3-7 times.

Look at the price of a new fax vs replacing the drum.
As an example.
A drum for a minolta 1350W lists for $109.00 You can buy a new 1350W for $89.99 with free shipping and after a $60 mail in rebate.
So you'd get a totally new unit and a starter cartridge you can use as an emergency backup and later refill, for less than the drum.
Could possibly find the same type deal on a new fax.

Art

Reply by Cari_MO on 10/12/05 1:48pm
Msg #70050

New or Remanufactered Drums

Thanks for the information Art. The drum is 169.00 new. Crazy !! I have see re manufactured Drums for about 55.00. I wondered if they were any good ? I will also look at new fax. I prefer the fax/copiers that you can refill the toner cartridge.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/12/05 10:27pm
Msg #70154

Art ---Minolta 1350W--Emulates GDI no PCL emulation

That is a great price on a fast machine. One comment, it emulates GDI and not PCL(post script language.) I have always stayed about from these lower end machines because other notaries have advises having PCL is important to print some documents.

Art--What has your experience been? Have you ever had printing problems without the ability to emulate PCL? If not, then I say go for the cheaper machine. A great find!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.