Notary Rotary
witness problems
Notary Discussion History

witness problems
Go Back to October, 2005 Index

Posted by Brenda Bassett on 10/27/05 7:30am
Msg #72559

witness problems

in my state we need two witnesses, I could be one and the borrower need to have one. of course when I get there they sometimes don't have one. some companies want me to send it back and they will witness or there is an other kind of witness something like subsidary (sp. wrong) witness. what is this?

Reply by Ernest__CT on 10/27/05 10:11am
Msg #72620

When calling the borrower(s) to confirm the date, time, and venue there are two additional details that need to be mentioned: 1. Everyone who is going to be signing the documents needs two forms of identification (at least in CT) which can be a driver's license, a passport, a work id, etc.; 2. It is the responsibility of the borrower(s) to make sure that a witness will be present ("CT law requires two witnesses. I can be one, but I can't be both.")

Do NOT depend on the Loan Officer or anyone else to warn the borrower(s)! Often the Loan Officer does not know the witness requirements for your state.

It is very rare that the borrower(s) really cannot come up with a witness. You'll hear "I don't want the neighbors to know my business.", "There's nobody home in my neighborhood at that time of day.", "Everybody I know is working then.", and lots more. The truth is that the witness does not need to see any details of the loan. The witness just sees the borrower(s) sign the page(s) which need to be witnessed. In the worst case, meet at the library, go to the 7-11 when the only docs unsigned are those requiring the witness, or ask your spouse / significant other to ride along to be the witness.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.