A Plus Signings/Advantage America Title update on check
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by jojo_MN on 9/9/05 2:04am
Msg #64301

Thank you all for your replies.

I tried several times to get the situation taken care of. I was told repeatedly that a new certified check was sent via FedEx on Tuesday. NOT! I did go to her bank and was told that there was not sufficient funds. I was also told that I could not use the check again--it was already presented twice and marked not to try again. The account number is punched at the bottom on the check so it is impossible to try again.

Unfortunately, I did have to turn it into the Better Business Bureau. I will see if they can help. I really enjoyed working with A Plus/Advantage, they are very nice to work with, but what good does it do if you don't get paid??

I also talked to the District Attorney's office in Madison, but they said it would have to be taken care of through the police department. They, in turn said they can't do anything because the total amount is less than $2500 so I would have to file a civil suit. They also told me I would have to file through my local police dept. instead because the check was sent to my address. I will have to do it locally.

This has happened to at least two other notaries that I know of (only for less money). Hopefully, I will get the check in the morning so this can all be avoided.

Reply by LilyMD on 9/9/05 6:27am
Msg #64308

Wow! It's too bad your state doesn't work the same way mine did. I had this happen a couple of years ago. I sent a certified letter stating the check had to be made good within 10 days from the letter's date -- payable in cash or money order-- or the check would be turned over to the DA. I received payment + a $25 fee 3 days after I sent the letter.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.