Notary Rotary
Acknowledgements
Notary Discussion History

Acknowledgements
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/12/05 12:53pm
Msg #64789

Acknowledgements

I have received a request from a signing company to notarize an acknowledgement pertaining to a previous closing. The names are on one of the acknowledgements, and I had to write in the names on the other. My question is: When I notarize the document (copy of the original) do I date it for the same date as the original document? The other document aludes to the original date of the signing and requirest no date on it. TIA

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/12/05 1:15pm
Msg #64792

Pleae indicate what state you are in so you can get a more definitive answerSmiley

Reply by Anonymous on 9/12/05 3:12pm
Msg #64810

I'm in TN....Thanks

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/12/05 1:50pm
Msg #64795

Is this correcting an error you made? If not, you can't just complete another acknowledgement without the borrower being present.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/12/05 3:15pm
Msg #64811

Evidently it was not my mistake....something must have happened to their copy because I recorded this particular document as one I notarized at the closing. I am just wondering if I should place the actual date I first notarized the document with the signers vs today's date? Their signatures are already on the copy they have sent me to notarize...

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/12/05 6:08pm
Msg #64831

Since you seem to refuse to actually reveal what state you're in, all I can say is don't do it at all. You cannot notarize a copy of a document, it must be an actual signature with the borrower present.

Make them pay you to go back out to the borrower to get a new signature and use the current date when you do it.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/12/05 6:11pm
Msg #64832

My bad

missed your response about the state to Sylvia. You really need to find out why they need another acknowledgement from you, whether you're correcting an error or notarizing a new document, then follow Tennessee law about what you can or cannot do to correct errors, if that's the case.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/12/05 3:50pm
Msg #64817

Again, depending what state, whether or not you can "correct" a certificate. By Florida Statutes, a notary certificate cannot be fixed, altered or otherwise changed once it has been returned. A new acknowledgment would be required.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.