Notary Rotary
Amish Notarizations
Notary Discussion History

Amish Notarizations
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by JO_PA on 9/20/05 1:21pm
Msg #66197

Amish Notarizations

I did a little research, with PAN and two courthouses. All seem to have the same answer.
Yes, some (and I emphasize some) have gov. issued ID, but that is only if their church elders allow it. Some have fishing licenses but the people I contacted were suprised about hunting licenses (the Amish are pacifists and generally not allowed to own guns).
PAN's and the courthouse's recommendation was to try to have the church elder present as a credible witness.
If you have a contact ph number to confirm the appt, make it clear to the person you talk to that there will need to be a credible witness present. If there is no contact ph #, ask the ss/ts how to get in contact with the borrower and if there will be a credible witness (or two if needed) present.
The Amish are incredible people, living in their own world that not many people understand. Most people do not realize that the Amish do not understand the "English" ways(yes, everyone that is not Amish is usually called that), and do not accept our ways. Here in PA, the government recognizes that fact and many exceptions are made for the Amish.
Hope this helps clear up the problem! Stick to credible witnesses for them.

Reply by JO_PA on 9/20/05 1:27pm
Msg #66199

Re: Amish Notarizations addition

Forgot to add the govt. ID that some may have are non-photo.
Sorry.

Reply by sue_pa on 9/20/05 2:24pm
Msg #66216

Re: Amish Notarizations addition

the church elder must also be personally known to the notary to meet the PA credible witness requirement that the witness personally know the notary & the signer.

In all my years I've never had nor have I ever known of Amish needing anything notarized. I'm guessing most times they go to their local bank where they are known.

I personally wouldn't have a problem w/a nonphoto id or a ss card for someone Amish although for 'regular' people I would never accept that.

Who said they have good pies? They lots of good everything!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.