Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Cancelled Signing....What about the Docs???
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Rob_NoCal on 9/22/05 8:38pm
Msg #66823

Showed of for a signing....nice people...just never gave a thought to what they were doing....until I showed up. Found out previous HELOC was charging to cancel and there was a cost from the new HELOC......So they dont want to sign......No problem.
So I make the calls to SS and Title company. Fax in the work order indicating borrowers didnt sign. Even got an email indicating my fee will get paid.
What about the Docs?????
No one returns my calls or emails as to what to do with these things.....its been over a week.
I dont even have any extra self space to store these things.
So how long do ya hang on to these things??????

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/22/05 9:00pm
Msg #66826

I suggest you get a shredder

The docs have a very finite life and that is probably why no one cares about them. However if they ever get in the wrong hands I assure you the borrower will care and so will you because there is enough information there to cause serious havoc. Shred them!

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/22/05 9:01pm
Msg #66827

Call them back for direction. Ask them what they would like for you to do with the docs. Sometimes they say, hold onto them a few days, sometimes they say destroy them, sometimes they say o/n them here.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/22/05 10:44pm
Msg #66835

Considering the possible far reaching effects of the revised Privacy Act and Sarbanes-Oxley, I strongly suggest you first get direction from the company that hired you.

If you don't have or don't want to invest in a shredder, try Ship'n Shred. I got tired of buying shredders and really don't want to spend the money on a commercial or industrial strength unit. So I've been using Ship'n Shred and have been very happy with their service. I bought a special trash barrel to store my shreddables (my own word) and when it gets full, I empty it into a box and ship it for shredding. A couple of days latter I have a certificate showing the shredding was completed.

Reply by Robert Spies on 9/23/05 1:07am
Msg #66852

Yea, I have a shredder for my "shreddables" but figured as soon as I shredded this loan package the phone would ring requesting me to send the docs back........

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/23/05 7:31am
Msg #66866

That's why you need to contact the SS/title company that hired you for direction. If their edocs and not signed, then if the SS/title company wanted them back, you could email them back. Smiley

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/23/05 7:36am
Msg #66867

Oops, wrong word used ...

That should read, "If they're edocs ..."

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/23/05 10:11am
Msg #66923

I may have missed something

but I thought you already had tried to contact the parties involved several times. Perhpas I'd better go re-read the thread. I certainly don't encourage anyone to just destroy documents but if no one wants then then the reasonable thing to do is destroy them. You certainly don't want to throw them in the trash with the possibility of someone getting them and you certainly don't want to keep them for a number of good reasons.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.