Notary Rotary
Continuing the bad check discussion...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by AnnaCA on 9/9/05 2:59pm
Msg #64415

Many responded that the best course of action is to write a certified demand letter to the company who issued the bad check and then turn it over to the DA for collection if monies are not received within the timeframe specified.

I'm curious, how many people have done this and how long does it take to finally get your money? If it's a reasonable amount of time, say 30 days or less, I might start using this method in future transactions that go belly up on me. Not that I'm expecting a whole slew of future checks to float like dead fish, but just in case the occasional bad company fools me into taking on their signings, I'd like to know if this method will get me my money more quickly. Like most of you who responded, I don't especially love the idea of babysitting a check for a week or two.

-Anna

Reply by LilyMD on 9/9/05 3:33pm
Msg #64430

As I previously posted, this happened once for me. I did exactly what my education taught me (I have a degree in Criminal Justice) and sent the letter just as the state I was living in dictated. I got cold hard cash for the check plus a 25. check fee I was legally able to charge --- 3 days after I mailed the letter. There's something about the fear of criminal charges and fines that does the trick. By the way, the check was for $273.

Reply by Brenda_NC on 9/9/05 3:37pm
Msg #64434

This happended to me once and I took it to my local DA's office and they referred it to their check unit and I received full payment in about 15 days and had no money out of my pocket.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/10/05 10:14am
Msg #64543

I have had only one check for NSF that I had to take to my DA's office. They do all of the necessary paper work so I don't have to. The other two that issued nfs checks paid up, w/nfs fees when I told them I was on the way to the DA.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.