Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Do Signing Services have to get a business license?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by JRamirez on 9/2/05 11:34am
Msg #63493

I bring this up in response to the payment question earlier. In me previous life, I was an Investigator for a local retailer who collected restitution from people who were terminated for theft. I was able to attach their wages through the court system mainly because I had some kind of information to track them down (ie, DOB, SSN, DL#). Can anyone become a SS? How do you collect money if you only have the phone number and name of the SS contact? What prevents someone from changing their phone number and business name and avoiding charges? Just some thoughts and questions.

Reply by Kate on 9/2/05 1:37pm
Msg #63517

Nothing prevents them from doing that. Some have been doing it for years.

Reply by Barry Silver on 9/2/05 5:02pm
Msg #63545

I am not aware of any special regulation, other than the laws regarding businesses that already exist, in this field, and you bring up very valid points. The best advice I can give you is that you should probably consult with an attorney who specializes in this area so you can be certain you are getting accurate information.

Reply by Bonnie_FL on 9/2/05 9:57pm
Msg #63584

After reading numerous posts on this site, I decided to get my occupational license here in Florida. Just went to the tax collector in my County and completed the paperwork and got it issued on the spot. Good for one year. My code number for the form here in Polk County was 92000 which stood for Limited Public Service. And, if I ever open a business acount under my business name, I have to have an occupational license anyway. But I don't know if other states require a business license.

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 9/4/05 7:26am
Msg #63695

Currently anyone can become asigning service. Maybe in the furture as the industry grows there will be a requirement that there be a current bonded Notary with minimum education reqirements to qualify as a signing service. This is how it is handled in many industries.
Just a thought.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.