Notary Rotary
Dog Issues----Oh Boy!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Dog Issues----Oh Boy!!!!
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/24/05 5:13pm
Msg #67168

Dog Issues----Oh Boy!!!!

Up until today, I had it pretty easy with borrowers, their pets, and their kids. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, but would like to know what others would of done in this situation, which I'm sure a few of you have been.

Get to a signing today to be greeted by a dog who jumps on my car. OK. This is nice. Get out of my car and the dog jumps on me. The borrowers tell him to get down, he does but jumps on me again. This happened twice and it was obvious they were not going to tie him up or anything, so I started telling him no. But he just kept jumping on me. They would tell him to get down, but he would still jump.

The miracle of this story is their documents didnt come(which that would of been nice to know before I drove all the way there), so there wasnt a signing. Otherwise I really cant say how I would of handled this. Just point blank tell the borrowers to do something with him until were thru????? And what if they didnt want to?????

I left telling myself I will not be going back there. It seemed to me they didnt care if their dog jumped on me or not.

Luckily, I didnt have any other signings, cause I stunk like dog.

Any suggestions folks?????? Unfortunately, I'm sure this wont be the first or the last.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/24/05 5:51pm
Msg #67171

Anon...as I'm the new owner of a puppy, I've been doing alot of homework about doggies - how to train them, their natural instincts, and who's responsible for poor behavior in pets.

Here's what I've learned: It's the owner, not the dog that is the problem.

If it were me, with all my new found knowledge, I would have point blank told the owners to take the dog to another room, and keep him away from me. First, they are animals...their first instincts are to chase, to bite, to track, etc. If a dog hasn't learned (through training) human etiquette, the last thing I want to deal with is a dog bite. Dogs BITE. It's what they do. If they haven't been trained properly, they will do it - not out of meaness...it's just the way they are wired.

For your own safety, if a pet (in my estimation when going to a borrowers home) is badly trained, I set the rules, or I leave. The poor animal is not the problem, the owner is - especially owners that "don't care" as you said. I'd rather have them annoyed with me, then to have a dog bite (and possible legal ramifications) later. Just my opinion.

BTW...my little love is only 4 lbs and 3 mos. old, yet his teeth are needle sharp and I am extremely cautious when he's around children. It's the owners that need to be told if you're uncomfortable. Don't be shy!!

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/24/05 7:14pm
Msg #67178

Agree with you, TG. Sometimes, even when I am confirming the appointment, I ask "Do you have any dogs/cats of which I should be wary?" That seems to have alerted most to keep the animals out of the room. (At least, so far!) Smiley

By the way, how is that sweetie-pie of a chihuahua? (I adore my 'new' 1-y.o. Siamese -- finally met someone that talks more than me!)

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/24/05 7:37pm
Msg #67184

Iris - Sweetie pie is just that!!! N/M

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/24/05 8:26pm
Msg #67191

You're right on the money when it comes to dogs...

I live in a rural area and dongs go with the territory: everyone has at least one myself inclued. I love dogs and mine is as well behaved as I can get her and I take great pains to know that those things I can't impart ot he the dog I have to control in other ways. it s not right ot inconvenience others with your animal. My dog is a Chow and there are just some things an owner has to learn about their behaviour and then not impose on guests or vendors.

I have been in homes where I ahve had to put up with goats, pigs, cattle and dogs and cats. Having lived in the country for a long time I don't recommend that if you pull up in a car and the dog starts jumping all over it that you get out. It may not be safe, also if you stay in the car and the owner wants the loan they will come and get you. I seem to develop severe allergies around ill-behaved pets and let the owners know that if they want their loan they will have to curb their pet. I insist that they put the dog in a contained area away from me, or no loan. Its worked fine so far. Of course I did have a farmer want to give me a piglet for my trouble.

4lbs, wow the little guy is growing like a weed.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/24/05 8:39pm
Msg #67193

Re: You're right on the money when it comes to dogs. Charles

Yes, 4 lbs! The vet said he has "big paws" (huh?) for a Chi and could grow to 8 lbs. full size.

At 8 lbs. he still fits in my doggie purse. Now, if I could just get him to like that leopard print..

I think I'll watch Legally Blonde II one more time...now that was a well behaved Chi...pillbox hat and all! (My son will kill me if I put a hat on him). He'd prefer a Raiders jersey, I'm sure.

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/24/05 8:50pm
Msg #67196

Aw c'mon it's a male dog

I vote for the Raiders Jersey, if it has to be a hat how about a cowboy hat or one of those tiny sombrero's they sell in TJ.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/24/05 9:00pm
Msg #67198

Re: Aw c'mon it's a male dog

I'll have you know I'm quite sensitive and appreciate the male persuasion - no pink, no fru-fru!

He'll get a very manly sweater in the winter time...maybe with a football or something - uh, well, that's after I make him a a girly-man. We laugh hard at the the humping thing (jeepers - he's only 3 months old!) but that's his way of saying...."I like you".

Reply by CA_Violet on 9/26/05 10:37am
Msg #67333

Re: Just curious

What book did you find the most helpful on training your puppy? We just acquired a Boston Terrier and she is wonderful (5 1/2mos.) I have been able to teach her to sit, stay and lay down when I tell her to but I'm still learning.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.