Notary Rotary
Forgot initial on DOT
Notary Discussion History

Forgot initial on DOT
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/22/05 10:25am
Msg #66648

Forgot initial on DOT

Last page of the DOT (notarial certificate) I forgot to have the borrowers initial. All 15 pages had an initial line at the bottom and they initialed all but the last page. Is this a requirement? Do I need to go back and get the initial?

Reply by Kiso on 9/22/05 10:48am
Msg #66659

Some lenders require it. I've had notes from lenders that specify in their instructions, "please make sure borrower initials all pages on deed of trust and notarial page"........I don't mean to scare you, just letting you know that some lenders need that page initialed.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/22/05 10:55am
Msg #66663

If that page isn't initialed, there are a couple of senerios:
1. they send it back to you to get initials. This could delay the funding.
2. they overlook it, or say it doesn't matter
3. they could send it to the borrower for initials.
1 and 3 could delay funding. I doubt if many lenders would delay funding over a set of initials that is their internal requirement. Recorder of deeds doesn't care about initials.

Myself, I would send the docs, and not even mention it. (truth be told - I've missed that last page initials myself, sent it on and never heard a thing.)

Art

Reply by Anonymous on 9/22/05 11:05am
Msg #66675

Thanks Art...that's the answer (opinion) I was hoping for! I reallly didn't want to call the SS and bring it to their attention. Even if it isn't necessary for the initial, they would have probably wanted me to get it anyway. To meet with this couple again would be an inconvenience for them since they came into town for the signing. Went anonymous so other SS reading this board wouldn't recognize that I do "sometimes" make mistakes Smiley

Reply by BetsyMI on 9/22/05 10:50am
Msg #66661

Why not call who hired you and ask them. I frequently see the last page of the DOT with no other information other than the notarization, so not sure it's mandatory, but I always have it initialed anyway. No sense worrying unless you call and find out. Do you have to go far to have it initialed?????

Reply by B__CA on 9/22/05 11:00am
Msg #66667

Try this next time.

This won't help you now, but I always put my notarial page of the DOT on the top when I hand the DOT pages to the borrowers and explain "Initial the 1st 15 pages and and sign the last." That way theyinitial it for sure, plus it is the 1st page I get back and I can be working on it while they are initialing all the other pages.

Otherwise it is very easy to forget it.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/22/05 11:06am
Msg #66676

Good suggestion Thanks ~n/m

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/22/05 11:25am
Msg #66688

Great time-saving idea... why didn't I think of it? ;) N/M

Reply by Nd_WA on 9/22/05 11:42am
Msg #66697

Your options

1. Get it fix or call whoever has the authority to say it's ok to omit the intials.
2. If you are going to have ammesia with that honest mistake then just hope you don't dream about it at night.

Remember "honesty is the best policy".

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/22/05 1:36pm
Msg #66743

I do the same thing B n/m

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.