Notary Rotary
Gas stations in my area are running out of gas
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Marla_FL on 9/1/05 6:50am
Msg #63206

What you can find went from $2.58 yesterday to 2.98 or $3.01 per gallon. I have had to revist the areas that I am willing to cover for overnight docs. I can't drive an hour one way for $75 for o/nite. Is anyone having this problem? Anyone charging gas premiums?

Reply by notinfl on 9/1/05 7:54am
Msg #63212

what area/city of florida are you Marla? You've got me scared....

Reply by Marla_FL on 9/1/05 8:11am
Msg #63217

Specifically in Lithia, just outside of Tampa. Listening to the radio. MANY people are calling in that stations are out of gas in many cities in FL. The station that I topped off at today was out of mid grade and hi test. This is a serious situation.

Reply by notinfl on 9/1/05 8:48am
Msg #63234

The news mentioned that those were only rumors. That we should have enough gasoline for now, just to be wise using it and not making unnecessary trips, etc,etc. Also mentioned that the State of FL has not considered yet rationing the gas.
I am really confused now...
There's been several e-mails sent telling people that FL will run out of gas in 2-3 but they are bogus... (according to the news) Of course, thousands of people flooded the gas stations yesterday and the day before. Maybe that is the shortage you are seeing in your town.
Isn't this incredible! One doesn't know who to believe anymore!!! All thanks to Katrina... :(

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/1/05 9:30am
Msg #63250

Re: Changing our life style

Whether stations are running out of gas or the stations are price gouging, one thing is certain -- WE *must* all change our lifestyles. I've been reading post after post of rising prices and I've been reading posts of "by golly damn, the signing services *will* pay my increased signing rate ..."What is the difference of the gas stations gouging us or us gouging the SSs and TCs?

I've read a few posts of people considering motorcycles, but I've read very few posts of looking into more fuel-efficient automobiles or alternative travel. The other day, as some of my on-line buddies know, I chose to walk just under five miles to/from my Bank. The scooter that my husband has been trying to convince me to buy for a couple of years is looking more and more attractive, and so is that MiniCooper that I once thought was an ugly car. I'm doing more research on local city bus routes and even thinking of purchasing new tires to replace the dry-rotted tires on my bicycle that has been hanging in the garage for years. The busses have bike carriers on the front -- if I have to ride a bus to get *so close* to a borrowers house and then ride my bicycle the rest of the way -- it just may be a decision I have to make instead of having my money only go out the exhaust pipe. I haven't *had* to ride the bus for over 30 years, but if it comes to that, it just be something I *have* to do.

I'm more selective with signings today than I was last week, last month or even last year. Is it economically feasible to accept? I'm not automatically jumping on long-distance signings. My secretarial biz has generally been 60:40 -- 60% working from my client offices and 40% working from my home. My marketing is now leaning towards 60 or even 75% of not leaving my house and doing the work on-line and only 25 or 40% of doing the work in the attorney office.

I'm not *automatically* jumping into my vehicle to drive to the grocery store to pick up only a few items every other day.

These are the changes I'm making in my life style -- instead of complaining of the cost of gasoline, let's hear what life style changes you are making!

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/1/05 9:45am
Msg #63258

ok...I'll consider walking to my mailbox.

sitting here waiting for docs and not having the car run? ;)

seriously, I'm really glad most of my work is within 4 miles. Hardly makes worth starting the car

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/1/05 9:47am
Msg #63259

Carolyn, I agree about changing our lifestyle. We are so used to just jumping in the car and going. Hard habit to break. Did a signing close by the other day (w/i 3 miles), and rode my horse to do it. Docs fit in saddle bags very nicely! I have to say though, wearing a business suit while riding did get some funny looks. But, oh well! I'll be riding him to the store, (5miles) today to pick up a few things, and for further signings I do have a Honda 750 that i'll be riding till it's just too cold or it snows! We don't have bus service this far out so that's not an option. Our gas supplies here seem to be fine (??) We have 7 vehicles, all full, but the 2 gas hogs will pretty much stay parked. My mustang gets 28 mpg city-36mpg road- and the grand am gets pretty close to that, but as often as is possible I will be using Spirit (the horse) or my little Honda. Actually thinking about getting 2 more geldings anyway, they might just come in handy! We are SUCH a spoiled nation!

Reply by ColleenCA on 9/1/05 10:13am
Msg #63273

My husband has been riding his bike to and from work for the last 10 years. When he has to, he takes our Honda scooter. I work from home except for signings and those are few and far between. Our oldest son who used to drive to and from school and to south central la 4 days per week for work is now wayyyyy up north in his freshman year of college. He didn't take his car so it is parked. Our youngest turns 16 in Oct. and will get his license so hopefully gas will go down a bit by then. We bike or walk as much as we can. I think we are doing our part, but it still hurts when you absoutely have to drive any distance. I personally feel that before the hurricane, the prices have been artificially high and there is no excuse except for Saudi Arabia becoming more and more rich off of it. Uh oh, I had better keep my political opinions to myself.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/1/05 10:33am
Msg #63285

I've put off teaching the youngest son to drive. He got his learner's permit several weeks ago, but I can't justify letting him drive for the sake of driving, especially as I am not going to be able to purchase him a car when he turns 16 if all my savings goes in my tank!

I'm trying to combine signings anywhere possible. My fees are increasing as of today as well. I cover an area that runs about 60 miles north to south and 30 miles wide, with my office mostly in the middle. My service area is shrinking rapidly and my base fees for going to the outlying areas are now extremely high. I've also done a good bit of research and now have notaries to refer to in all but one of those outlying areas. (Anyone here in Stuart, FL?)

Walking to many of my destinations is not possible because of distance, but I am now telling my customers that I am grouping appointments and am more on top of getting docs for multiple signings in reasonably close areas as early as possible. I also just found out that Staples will deliver cases of paper, toner cartridges, etc., for free, so I am now allowing them to deliver my supplies to me rather than going to their office.

Lastly, we've cut down on dropping docs at Fed Ex and UPS boxes. We now make one trip a day, even though the boxes are fairly close. At 4:30, everything that is finished goes at one time. We also make our bank run at the same time, so we have a big loop going: post office box, bank, drop boxes (one is at the bank as well).

Reply by HARRY_PA on 9/1/05 10:41am
Msg #63287

Perhaps the ss that are offering $40-50 will finally find a limited audience and become realistic. Time will tell.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/1/05 10:48am
Msg #63290

Re: Bonnie -Changing our life style

Yes, we are a spoiled nation. I know that there are *some* who are doing their part in changing their *routine* because of necessity *they simply can't afford to pay at the pump*-- and there are others who will continue posting the price of gas. What good is that doing?--all of us are dealing with the same daily outrageous hikes -- what do we care what the price is someplace else?

I was a single mother and raised my son from newborn until he was 4 by myself and by my choice. Today, friends who know me now, and also knew me then, laugh with me instead of at me. When they used to come to visit, they *knew* that if they used the bathroom, they were allowed TWO (2) squares of toilet paper. Money was tight, but we didn't do without any of the necessities. You make do with what you have, and you make changes when you have to.

Reply by Bonnie_CO on 9/1/05 11:41am
Msg #63305

That's true Carolyn! I was a single mom for awhile too. (my choice). And I can definately empathize with the 2 squares of toilet paper thing! LOL. The trials in our lives can either make us or break us, but coming out stronger in the long run has it's points!

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 9/1/05 4:48pm
Msg #63354

Oh my, so am I. (single mom) Just got my son through college. Been divorced for 18 yrs. Alone, doing it by myself, my choice. We do what we got to do.

Reply by ncc_mi on 9/1/05 6:46pm
Msg #63371

Amen to all of those out there making these changes in their lifestyles. I opened my own signing service after getting laid off from a large company after several years, and having also dabbled in the mortgage, real estate industry, realized that nothing was getting any better. With the factorys leaving MI and my husbands job in jeapordy, we talked about what we would do if he were to lose his job!! It would be devasting. We thought long and hard, and after a lot of research and soul searching!! He quit his position in March of last year, and 6 mo's later, the place that he worked filed for bankruptcy. With the way gas prices are, we both have put a lot of toil, sweat and hard work into our business, which the lord has blessed us with his good grace to be able to have saved the money to start, and the strength and perserverance to stick with it, and the money that we have saved from gas alone is truly amazing. We are both walking more frequently than we used to, we are riding our bikes a lot more, and I have no problem taking a bus if its necessary. but the main thing that we look at, is that we are getting healthier out of the deal!! Its a win, win situation!! We order as much of our supplies from staples that are delivered, and we run our vehicles as little as possible!! We have a huge garden, and have a whole lot less stress running our own business even, than having to fight traffic each day!! I have never been happier or felt more blessed in my life. Even though my youngest son just left for boot camp, and no matter how proud of him I am, I miss him like crazy and wonder why!! But all I can do is pray for him and all of the other familys and soldiers!! Everyone needs to make these lifestyle changes, because if they don't, things will only keep getting worse!! If everyone who drives would take a bus to work for one day, or car pool for a couple of days, the refineries will have to do something, or they will be going out of business. I was a single mom until 10 years ago, of 2 great sons, and as they were growing up, I of course taught them to be very frugal, and even as as adults, even though they themselves, are not in the city, have no problem hoping on the bus to get to work, or hoping on their bikes and riding to work!! If everyone talked to their kids and asked that they not drive to school for 2 days a week even, and everyone car pooled or bussed, rode their bikes, or walked to work 1 or 2 days a week, and didn't buy gas, I think that things would have no choice but to change at the pump. But it would have to be a very unified national effort, and everyone would unfortunately have to suffer a little bit. Thats what we need to do, is to pray for unity in our nation!! God Bless everyone and please keep praying for those in devastation in LA and MS.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.