Notary Rotary
Has this happened to any of you?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Brenda_CO on 9/20/05 2:07pm
Msg #66207

I did a refi signing last Wednesday, and the borrowers gave me two paystubs that the lender requested. We finished signing, I went over the docs again, then clipped everything together with the two stubs on top (I always place additional item at the top. The entire set went into the FED EX package and was return the next day. Today, I received a call from the signing company saying that the lender had called to say the paystubs weren't in the package. This package was sent FED EX priority, the lender received it on Thursday. But, they are only calling me today to let me know this???? I know for a fact that the stubs were included with the package. How many hands do you think handle this before it gets to the approval/funding department?

Reply by Kiso on 9/20/05 2:52pm
Msg #66219

That's not a fun situation....I have never experienced that myself (hopefully never will) but what most likely happened is some jerk at the title company lost the stubs and they decided to blame it on the notary. I can bet money on it, too.

Reply by BarbaraL_CA on 9/20/05 2:57pm
Msg #66221

What's scarier is....

those paystubs have social security numbers on them and could be used for identity theft! If I were the borrower I certainly would be concerned!

Reply by Brenda_CO on 9/20/05 3:07pm
Msg #66223

Re: What's scarier is....

I think the borrower is concerned about that as well as duplicating the stubs. Their loan officer's remark was "why does this always happen to me?"! It's a sad situation when you try to hard to make sure all of the borrower's info gets to the lender so the loan funds on time, then something like this happens!!

Reply by Kiso on 9/20/05 3:14pm
Msg #66226

Well, it's not your fault. Once the package is out of your hands, as long as you are certain that all of the documents are in the package, then it's not your problem anymore. I don't think this type of thing is even Fed-Ex's fault unless the package was torn when it was delivered. I'm tellin' ya...it's someone at the lender's office that lost it and is trying to blame it on someone else....the notary.

Reply by Brenda_CO on 9/20/05 3:32pm
Msg #66230

Thank you! I agree that is what happened, and it will turn up after everything is over and done. But, by then it will probably get tossed without anyone knowing that. I guess to be on the safe side, we should always inform the SS when something gets added like that.

Reply by Nd_WA on 9/20/05 3:41pm
Msg #66231

I always staple when anything (paystub, voided check, deposit slip, etc.) is attached to sent back with the docs.

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 9/20/05 3:46pm
Msg #66233

I use a rubber band around all the docs, but it doesn't matter if the rubber band is removed.

Reply by thnotary_NY on 9/20/05 3:57pm
Msg #66234

This has just happened to me.!!

Reply by Brenda_CO on 9/20/05 4:05pm
Msg #66236

I'm sorry that happened to you also. I would imagine you are feeling pretty bad about it as well!!

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/20/05 5:26pm
Msg #66257

I know this is closing the barn door after the horse ran away, but I always staple any stips to the HUD. Then I scan a copy of the check, stubs, or whatever, showing it stapled to the HUD. I keep it with the order, just in case I get a call saying they didn't get one of the stips. If you do this out of habit, then it's easy to reply that the stips were stapled to the HUD, and placed right at the top of the package.

Reply by Brenda_CO on 9/20/05 5:30pm
Msg #66260

Thanks! That's a great idea. I will do that next time!!

Reply by JD_MD on 9/20/05 7:18pm
Msg #66288

I have had the SS claim on 2 different occasions the check/ money order was not in the package. They claim this even after i had put check/m.o. on top of package, in an envelope, with words in capital letters ....CHECK/ M.O. ENCLOSED. Funny how 2 days later when i ask about the "lost" check they say don't worry about it. Guess it turned up lol.

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 9/20/05 10:15pm
Msg #66327

I now complete a "signing report" that includes the actual time I was there, any issues with the signing, if we had to call the LO or whoever, and a section for "items collected" - ie copies of DL's, voided checks, surveys, etc. I run it off on 3 part NCR paper, and the borrowers sign it. They get a copy, I keep a copy, and the original goes in the package. Right on top, along with any items collected. Funny thing - since I started doing this, NO ONE has lost anything!

Reply by Lee_AR on 9/20/05 10:34pm
Msg #66333

Good idea, CrystalT_FL (nm)

Reply by thnotary_NY on 9/21/05 7:07am
Msg #66356

Sounds good CrystalT_FL, any chance of getting a copy.?

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 9/21/05 8:05am
Msg #66359

Sure. Its nothing fancy. One link is in doc format, so you can make changes. The other is in pdf, if the doc doesnt open at least you can look at it

http://www.parkwaynotary.com/signingreport.doc
http://www.parkwaynotary.com/signingreport.pdf

Reply by thnotary_NY on 9/21/05 8:51pm
Msg #66543

Thank you so much.!! I made name adjustments if u don't mind. Did you have these printed, I see you mention copies.? I would think just getting the orignial signed and then a couple of copies would sufice. Anyway, great idea. Thanks again. trenton

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 9/21/05 10:33pm
Msg #66563

I get three-part carbonless that I can run thru the laser printer. That way I can print just a few at a time, in case I want to make changes. I dont bother to glue the sets together, just line them up before filling out.

The carbonless seemed to be more effective than just photocopies, since that way I can leave one with the borrower, plus no one can say I altered anything afterward. And actually I had just updated the form to include a distribution scheme along the bottom "Original - Title co; Yellow - Signing Agent; Pink - Signer" so everyone knows that everyone else gets a copy. I forgot to link to the updated form

Glad I could help - feel free to use / change to what works for you!

Reply by Brenda_CO on 9/21/05 7:47am
Msg #66357

Crystal, that is a great idea! That would be a good thing to take to closings. Did you make up your own, or was it something originally from a company? Sounds good!! I can't have the paperwork missing like that again. It really upset my day yesterday....so I can imagine how the borrowers must have felt about it!

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 9/21/05 8:10am
Msg #66361

I just made it up. Got tired myself of being burned. Since it is on carbonless paper, it is hard for anyone to say it was altered.

I give the back copy (usually pink) to the borrower, they have a copy of any comments regarding issues that they had. That leaves me the original and one copy, sometimes I need to add my own comments prior to shipping if I have an additional conversation with a LO, TC or SA. I then ship the original, leaving me the copy. No one can make changes to the original, as it then wouldnt match my copy.

Not only do I include it with the package to the TC, if the SA requires any fax backs I include it to them as well.

Amazing how many problems it has eliminated, hee hee

Reply by CrystalT_FL on 9/21/05 8:34am
Msg #66362

Oh yeah, BTW - I also record both the time I arrive and the time I leave - that way no one can say I was two hours late, etc. Which also shows if the signers are "readers" or whatever.

Got tired of being burned on those issues too!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.