Notary Rotary
How far in advance to receive e-docs?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by AnnaCA on 9/21/05 12:48pm
Msg #66423

Last minute e-docs seem to create some the biggest headaches I've seen on these boards (well, other than slow or non-payment). Many of the the issues could be resolved with a phone call to the borrower before the signing, but late e-docs make that almost impossible. For the seasoned SA veterans, how long in advance do you require e-docs so you can: 1) review the docs and note where signatures/notarizations are required, 2) review the instructions to see if extra docs, copies of DLs, fax backs, phone calls, etc are necessary, 3) call the borrower, SS and/or TC to get contact info and make sure all necessary paperwork is in order? If e-docs are received at the last minute do you refuse the signing? Do you reschedule the signing? Do you tell the SS or TC you have a minimum time requirement so you can properly review the docs and prepare for the signing? Do they just put these ridiculous time crunches on us beginners and hope we won't notice? What if I start out by requesting docs by a minimum time frame? Would this label me a "difficult" notary with the SS or TC? Will I be passed by, or will my business practices be more respected and my minimum time requests be met as a result? I would like to start out on the right foot in this regard. Thank you for any and all opinions.

-AnnaCA

Reply by ColleenCA on 9/21/05 12:57pm
Msg #66429

I usually depends on my schedule, but for the most part I think an hour before the assignment is reasonable.

Reply by Roger_OH on 9/21/05 1:05pm
Msg #66433

You need to take control and not be dependent upon whenever they decide to get the docs to you. Give them a DROP-DEAD time that you must have docs by to include this appointment on your schedule; if the deadline is not met, then 1) they can find someone else, or 2) that apppointment goes to the end of your list for the day and you'll get to them when you can get back to download and print. If the latter, keep borrowers advised and assure them you'll get to them, but you cannot sit around waiting for docs.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/21/05 1:10pm
Msg #66436

I usually give a 2 hr before closing deadline. Thats complete, not partial. I inform the borrower that we have a tentative time that is subject to change depending on when the docs arrive.

Depending on schedule, I may even give a 3 hour deadline. (6:00 appointment in same area as I have a 4:30 appointment 30 miles away) I would need docs by 3:00 so I could print and leave for the 2 appointments.

Art

Reply by Kiso on 9/21/05 3:19pm
Msg #66468

Those don't happen too often, but when they do, while you're printing docs you can read instructions and other junk they're sending over. I do that a lot....most of my e-mail doc signings are in PDF format so I can go through the packet in Adobe Reader, read instructions, check the fax, etc. all while the docs are being printed. Last week I had one about two hours before the appointment time. I had no other appointments that day so I printed and left for the signing...no harm no foul. But if you have other appointments then you have to be firm with them and let them know that the docs MUST be emailed by such and such time, so it doesn't interfere with any other appointments.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/21/05 3:39pm
Msg #66475

I usually state a 3-hour before signing deadline. Sometimes more, depending on scheduling. Why so much time? An hour to print, just in case something goes screwy or the docs take a long time to render. And hour to travel. That leaves a bit of cushion in case the title company and/or lender push up against the wall, which is more often what happens. If you say three o'clock, you'll be lucky to have them by 3:30 in many cases. Sometimes, I get them the night before. And that usually creates unbridled joy and celebration. Smiley

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/21/05 4:13pm
Msg #66484

I request three hours and won't accept if less than two hours

Reply by Anonymous on 9/21/05 8:03pm
Msg #66531

Re: Just give a drop dead time & stick to it. And then wait

for the crocodile tears and "promises" of extra fees from the LO. After a few email docs showing up two or three hours after the scheduled closing time, it's easy to say you missed my drop dead time, you'll find to find another notary.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.