I did a signing & still upset
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by SM_TX on 9/26/05 8:55am
Msg #67315

Just wanted to let you know.

I was called to do a signing on Friday @ 7:30pm in Terrell, Tx. The docs were overnight small package that was ok, 1st it took me about 2 hours to find the place (you know a CR address) didn't realized it was in such a rural area. Anyway 2 hours to locate and in between driving down rocky dirt roads, dodging raccoons, cows, donkeys and buffalos (yes Buffalos). I was beyond my limits after the buffalo walked up to the car, I backed up and went the other way of course. Found the correct street (finally) however 5 houses on this one road which is a dead end with farms all around. I stopped at a house that I thought belonged to the borrower, wrong house, she did not know who her neighbors were, so I went back to the mailboxes (address & name is located) and realized the borrowers lived in the middle of a field- had to drive thru that field to get to them (made it on time).

1) the borrowers were not prepared did not have what was needed as I spoke to her twice to remind her what to bring to the table. (I forgot to make copies- had a scanner at home)
the scanner would not print

2) after 45mins of trying; had to go 1/2 mile thru the field to neighbors and make copies

3) During this time Mr is getting drunker by the minute--Barking dog getting on my nerves

4) Mrs returns- goes to kitchen pour herself a drink, sits down, picks up dog sat it on top of closing docs- I politely asked her to put dog on floor so that we can get started I have a long drive ahead of me

5) Mr gets another beer and then decided he wants to read everything word for freaken word
I explained it he did not agree do not sign and to call the LO. He signed said I'll call on Monday.

6) I didn't leave the property til' 10:45pm (Highly frustrated)!!!!

****just venting**** Thanks for listening

Reply by jojo_MN on 9/26/05 9:08am
Msg #67318

I know how you feel--I've had many just like that one. When you said he was getting drunker, I hope you don't actually mean he WAS drunk. As far as I know, it's illegal to notarize in all states if the party is drunk.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/26/05 9:17am
Msg #67320

Unfortunately (time wise) the borrower has the right to read every word, you can't do anything about that. They are undergoing a big financial decision that affects their lives. I, as a consumer would make sure I knew what I was getting into. I've seen a lot of preditory lenders have the naive sign, not having a clue as to what they were getting into. I cannot tell them what I think in those cases, just point out the facts.
I've had those types of read every word appointments but instead of saying do not sign, I impress upon them that they have the RTC and during that time the kinks can be worked out amongst themselves and the LO.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/26/05 3:13pm
Msg #67411

"Unfortunately (time wise) the borrower has the right to read every word, you can't do anything about that."

Gotta disagree with you here Charm, we certainly CAN do something about it. The borrower may have the right to read every single word, but it's not going to be on my time. I have no problem telling a borrower that if they want to read everything in detail before they sign it, then the appointment will have to be rescheduled and they'll have to arrange for a copy of the docs to be sent to them for review.

There's no way in hell I'm going to sit there and stare at the walls for 3 hours while somebody reads 100 pages in detail. And I've only had maybe 2 occasions where I actually ended up leaving because the borrwer refused to sign without reading it all first.

Reply by Kevin Thrasher on 9/26/05 6:49pm
Msg #67450

I politely remind them they have 3 days to read the papers. If they still insist on reading every word, I politely tell them that this will have to be re-scheduled because I can not wait for them to read the whole package. That is what the 3 days is for. I include that I have other appointments to get to and it is not fair to my other appointments for me to be late because they want to read every word. Works every time.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/26/05 10:24am
Msg #67329

SM-TX - Here's the problem -->> Terrell, Tx. <<--

>> Terrell, Tx. <<

Oh, God Bless you SM-Tx.

I know Terrell, Texas. Did their last name start with an "M?"

This family sounds way too familiar...but maybe all the last names in Terrell are the same.

BTW - except for the traffic, gas shortage and my frayed nerves...all is well in my world post Rita.
============================
HOWEVER, to my friend Dorothy-Tx who reads the boards- let me hear from you. I cannot figure out if you were affected or not...I am off to LaGrange for a Rev Mort and will try to give you a call.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/26/05 11:06am
Msg #67339

Re: SM-TX - Brenda. <<--

did you go past the chicken ranch??

Art

Reply by SM_TX on 9/26/05 11:20am
Msg #67343

I went past several chicken farms, let know forget the Donkey Ranch

And Brenda the last name start with "G"... Brenda did you have a Wild Hog come to the borrowers patio? I did and was like I got to get out of here.

Lets not forget the guns lying everywhere-- he said it was for all the wild creatures messing up his grass.

The borrower wasn't DRUNK, just popping Budweiser as if he would never get another one, he was very alert, can probably drink about 2 cases before getting a buzz.

I explained about the RTC also indicated that they have a copy of everything that is being signed. There were 2 POA and he was like this in my copy I just signed one
I advise that his copy was in the folder he was like PROVE IT, so I went into his copies and made him look like an ____!!!! he was like well DUH :-)

Reply by Art_MD on 9/26/05 12:05pm
Msg #67348

Reference to chicken ranch was in reference to the movie "best little whorehouse in Texas". Have you seen it?

Art

Reply by SM_TX on 9/26/05 12:08pm
Msg #67352

Re: SM-TX -

Yes I seen it :-)

Reply by Art_MD on 9/26/05 12:22pm
Msg #67356

I lived in college station in the 70's (working, not schooling). Did some work in LaGrange. I remember Marvin Zindler who was the guy from Houston who caused all the uproar.

Art

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/26/05 10:14pm
Msg #67486

Not sure where the infamous chicken ranch was located. If it was Hwy 77...probably went by there today.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.