Notary Rotary
I'm a Little Confused Here
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by DonR_NYC on 9/10/05 3:39pm
Msg #64575

This is not meant as a “barb” at anyone but something appears to be amiss. Lately I have seen more and more very basic notary questions posted here and on other boards from alleged new California notaries. California used to be one of the few states that really prepared people to become notaries public. But the questions I have been seeing begs to ask the question WHAT HAPPENED? Why are more and more basic notary questions popping up that never needed to be asked before? It is really baffling!!

Reply by Les_CO on 9/10/05 5:08pm
Msg #64583

Because they don't know, or, are not sure. I'd bet you've never been in CA. It's not the utopia it's purported to be. Still.... there is something about the sun setting into the Pacific? I think I saw the "Green Flash"! WOW!

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/10/05 5:23pm
Msg #64585

Re: I'm a Little Confused Here!... I'm not!

Frankly, in my own personal and considerably biased opinion I would not live anywhere else. I have the advantage of living in both ther Northern Part (the Mendocino Coast) and the Southern Part (the Orange or Gold Coast) while personalities tend to be different I love living here and would not move anywhere else. Be that as it may, I agree that the quality of notary has been declining steadily. I suspect it is because of the promie of the great wealth we notaries earm just by virtue of our comisions Smiley I California there are a number of companies who guarantee you your commission if yout ake their classes and the state test is administered immediately after the class. The classes are designed only to pass the test and not to impart any knowledge on the notary. This unfortunate situation came about from these same schools having at one time been designed to cram for the State's real estate license exams. When the real estate cycle is booming everyone wants a piece of the pie and they disappear as quickly as they come. I suspect we are seeing the tail end of the mass production of notaries as word gets out that maybe being a notary requires some effort.

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/10/05 5:31pm
Msg #64588

Check out the POA post immediately preceding NM

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/10/05 6:41pm
Msg #64598

Darn it, Charles you beat me to it.

I wouldn't live anywhere else either. My uncle in MI calls California the "land of the flakes", but IMO we have EVERYTHING here, the mountains, the beautiful coastlines stretching from south (warm) to north (much cooler) and all varieties inbetween.

Don, your confusion has been a situation on these boards for some time now. As notaries...we're all hoping the current ad campaign for the "serious lack of notaries" in California goes out by time very soon now.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 9/10/05 8:55pm
Msg #64607

I would have little problem leaving CA if my hubby were transfered. I'd miss my inlaws and my sis but that wouldn't slow down my packing at all.

In the defense of the 1 day seminars that guaranty you pass the exam; I took one. That's right in 1 day I took the notary seminar and a signing agent course. Passed both exams. But let's get real here. I hadn't heard any get rich quick ads. Yet I knew there was no way I was getting anything from the class other than a passing grade and a start on my notary education. Both before and after the class I read through the state handbook. I didn't get the signing agent materials till the day of the class. Then after the class I would read through both once a week. Then I really got into this website and began reading it. I learned from the "oldies" even the "no-nonsence tell it like it is even if it's harsh" what it really means to hold the office of Notary Public, many aspects of the job of an SA not covered in the course, and the value of the information you can look up with just a bit of googling. So lets get with it newbies. Read that state manual (if your state has one) backwards and forwards and get those basics down. Then once you have them down read it some more.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/10/05 9:02pm
Msg #64608

From a newbie about notary courses

***many aspects of the job of an SA not covered in the course, and the value of the information you can look up with just a bit of googling. So lets get with it newbies. Read that state manual (if your state has one) backwards and forwards and get those basics down. Then once you have them down read it some more. ***

Excellent post, SarahBeth. You're in the position to know the truth, thanks for posting it here.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/10/05 9:03pm
Msg #64609

Re: From a newbie - change that to experienced N/M

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 9/10/05 9:21pm
Msg #64610

ah shucks TitleGal, thank you. I was just about to ask if I could shoot you and e-mail. I have a question about the title process that I think I know the answer to, and would just like a yes your right, or a no your wrong. If you don't mind.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/10/05 9:43pm
Msg #64611

Anytime Smiley

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/10/05 11:58pm
Msg #64629

Re: From a newbie about notary courses

>>>>***many aspects of the job of an SA not covered in the course, and the value of the information you can look up with just a bit of googling. So lets get with it newbies. Read that state manual (if your state has one) backwards and forwards and get those basics down. Then once you have them down read it some more. ***

Excellent post, SarahBeth. You're in the position to know the truth, thanks for posting it here.<<<<

Uh, Title and Sarah, excuse me, but I think you are overlooking the obvious. SarahBeth has "crossed over to the other side." No matter how long she has been doing this, if she says "go google" or "read your rules" she is now an 'Old Meanie.' And, in the land of Forums Notaria, doesn't Old Meanie equal Hated Position of Envy?

Therefore, I submit there is no need for any type of class or certification course. Just hang around here awhile, post and tell another notary to do a little independent research when they ask a basic notary question. When you get yelled at for it and YOU ARE THERE BAY-BEEE.

You are then automatically a "have" (evil) and no longer a "have not" (good). The green goblins will hate you and life changes substantially. When you try to sleep at night you will hear the wind saying: "Give them me! Give them me! I will howl all night in the reeds, Lie in the mud and howl for them!" because you are now PERCEIVED to be an Oldie whether you are or not. (This is because some new people want an excuse to dislike and name-call because they do not want to learn a little at a time like SaraBeth did, like I did, like everyone did. They want to start now and be up to speed by tomorrow afternoon. If you just decide that anyone who shows initiative is an OLD MEANIE, then you can go eat a half a can of worms, feel sorry for yourself, name call, stomp and fall down because you'll trip over your bottom lip.)

No matter how many times you have helped others in the past, if you tell someone to dig in and help themselves, you are then part of the "group of oldies who run this board" and who are childish and want to stay in control of this sandbox.

Other new people will hate you and you shall be honored before your peers with jeers and accusations from the fine and famous "Anonymous" for being a harsh, hateful, mean, bitter notary signing agent who will not share your contacts, give ride alongs, or tell people how to get started because you are scared of competition.

You will also be accused of having underlings do your bidding.

Welcome to *our* private Kingdom of the Sandbox, SarahBeth! Girl, go do some mean things to all new people on this forum just like I taught you myself. Put on your green beads and then, shoot me an email so I can suggest a list of names for your personal henchman list.

===========
And, just so any of the non-humor bearing notaries don't get it please do not take this seriously...sometimes it's very easy to get in trouble. Smiley

Overheard On A Saltmarsh
by Harold Monro

Nymph, nymph, what are your beads?

Green glass, goblin. Why do you stare at them?

Give them me.

No.

Give them me. Give them me.

No.

Then I will howl all night in the reeds,

Lie in the mud and howl for them.

Goblin, why do you love them so?

They are better than stars or water,

Better than voices of winds that sing.

Better than any man's fair daughter,

Your green glass beads on a silver ring.

Hush, I stole them out of the moon.

Give me your beads, I want them.

No.

I will howl in a deep lagoon

For your green glass beads, I love them so.

Give them me. Give them.

No.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/11/05 12:19pm
Msg #64663

thx for the smile Brenda!

I don't have a flippin clue who's 'got it' on this board.....BUT I SURE AM GOOD AT RECOGNIZING WHO DOESN'T!!! (ahem, you get my drift).

Besides, I like SarahBeth, so there.

Reply by christi ausherman on 9/12/05 3:38am
Msg #64734

LOL Brenda, you meanies make this board worth reading,

AND make it fun too.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 9/12/05 11:49am
Msg #64775

Re: LOL Brenda, you meanies make this board worth reading,

You may all now refer to me as "Darth Notary". Now for this to work you have to imagine the deep voice and heavy breathing when reading my posts. With my pen and seal I will rule the galaxy. Naw, I'll just keep it as SarahBeth and rule my house with a broom and dustpan.

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/11/05 1:05am
Msg #64638

If more newbies were like you, this question never would have been posted and we'd all be much better off. Good for you!!

Unfortunately, it seems that most take a different view. Once they've passed the test, they think they've arrived, instead of just beginning the journey. I'm a real opponent of taking the test the same day as the class. I realize it's a convenience, but as a former teacher, I know that people retain very little after a couple of days. Ongoing review is essential.

Best of luck to you!

Reply by DonR_NYC on 9/10/05 10:53pm
Msg #64618

Guess what?? WRONG. I've been up and down the coast. Nice place to visit but, I'd rather live in the Northeast so I can enjoy the seasonal changes. And living in the "24 Hour City" has its advantages. And before someone comments NYC is NOT the crime ridden place depicted in movies and TV.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/11/05 7:54pm
Msg #64697

I think the thing that gets to me is that I didn't start this career with a feeling of entitlement.
I didn't just expect people to give me "their Lists" of all of their customers. I don't know maybe it's my sales background but people don't give away their secrets of what has made them successful. I asked alot of questions when I first started but I went to the source, the local bar association where there is office of the notary commission whatever you want to call it, it's where I took my test, and I asked that lady a bunch of questions. If that failed then I would call the title company or SS that hired me and I'd find out. Cmon people it's not that hard to find out an answer use the brain that god gave you for a change.

Do some research on your own, really read the boards and DIG for the information because it is there if you just look for it. I feel that our job is important but it's not that hard and if you know your own states notary laws the way you should then it's not that big of a deal.

And if you haven't studied the laws and know what your doing for gods sake don't start doing loan signings until you do... End of Rant.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/11/05 8:02pm
Msg #64698

I forgot to add that I didn't expect people to "tell me" how to get started in this business. Why would anyone feel that a bunch of people are going to tell you that when you are their competition is totally baffling and beyond me. When my father started his business in 1976 he didn't have anyone that said "hey Joe this is how you do it". I mean cmon folks it just doesn't happen and regardless of what someone told you in whatever seminar you took it doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, alot of time. I still market at the beginning of every month, why because you should never get comfortable and sit back and rest on your butt, not if your serious anyway. When I was new I knew it was going to take alot of work but it wasn't that hard to figure out. Second End of Rant.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/10/05 11:13pm
Msg #64623

*WHAT HAPPENED? Why are more and more basic notary questions popping up that never needed to be asked before? It is really baffling!!*

Don, It is very baffling!

One reason is the never-ending refrain of the poster who says "Unlike Olbie Lou Meanie, I'll answer your questions nicely because the only dumb question is the one not asked."

That's bullcorn. There are lots and lots of dumb questions born out of sheer laziness and indifference. I feel there are reasons to

I think another reason they ask and do not seek to learn is because they get answers here and do not have to learn. Rather than redirecting the notaries to their handbook or rules, they are answered here by well-meaning people.

I have answered my share of them. Finally, I realized I was getting all warm and fuzzy from it, but what about the people I helped? Even if I told the person to read their notary rules, wasn't I actually enabling someone to be dependent on others for what they had to know for their job? Continuing that could lead them to conclude their notary rules are ancillary no matter what I said about learning.

For awhile I posted links to SOS rules and said "Learn your notary rules," but it makes people so mad at me that I stopped; I got tired of starting a riot every week and defending something that is plain as the nose on your face.

Like I see other experienced people ignoring the ridiculous these days, I realize that my life's purpose and station is probably not specifically to correct incorrect assumptions of lazy notaries in every corner of the USA... with the words they desire to hear and the phrases they want to hear them in so as not to bruise the ego. They are happier and I am too.

(Don, I think I am glad you asked this question. I was certainly ready to answer it!)

Reply by JanetK_CA on 9/11/05 1:13am
Msg #64639

Welcome to the dark side.... well, some would say, anyway! Great posts!

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/10/05 11:42pm
Msg #64627

It's simple

They're very likely all freshly minted graduates of the many fine notary training acadamies we have out here. When a radio ad answers it's own question of "what's a notary public?" with "it could be YOU making $100,000 a year" (really? that's what a notary public is?), why would we expect anything else?

The people who teach these classes are telling them to come here to continue their education. We're basically part II of their training in their minds.

Reply by Lisa Gumowskyj on 9/11/05 3:08am
Msg #64645

Re: It's simple

I feel like I'm about to step into the fire... I'm a newby.. there, I've said it. I became a notary b/c my office asked/required me to become one... then found out I could use the notary for personal gain (not a bad deal if you know what you're doing...)

I'm in Arizona and our handbook is fairly meager. Before I even had my Notary certificate I read the rules forward, backward asked a MILLION questions of other notaries in my office; pointed out information to them they didn't know (!!), paid for, what turned out to be, a very lame Certified Signing Agent course.

So now I've got a Notary seal, a SA certificate, and a headful of what seems to be fairly good information -- and not a clue what do next.

I'd LOVE to give up my 9-5, micro-managed - log into a computer that guides my EVERY minute- at work job and create a better life with a schedule I can decide on (as if?) -- and still have a semblance of a normal income... I have no illusions that I'm going to get rich quickly or slowly, as the case may be... I want a new career - I've chosen this.

I know there is a TON more for me to learn. I'd LOVE to have a mentor to ask the stupid questions of... some answers just aren't easily found. I'm a Google freak and am really good at getting information. I have yet to start this journey and I'm sure I'll ask the most ridiculous questons you've ever heard ...

speaking of stupid questions... here's my first (*lol*) ... I've been reading about printers for when documents are emailed (which is how I THINK I'd prefer to get them -- since I don't know better, enlighten me on why this may/maynot be a great idea?) .. anyway, I've read that for the most part on HP printers can/should be used (?) and they *HAD* to be a DPI of 1200x1200 laser. Now the laser/1200 part I can understand ... but WHY HP? Is that *even* true?

I really want to start this whole new career off the right way. I *promise* my state handbook says nothing about how to print documents... lol

Thanks in advance for your comments -- try not to flay me too badly Smiley

Lisa

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/11/05 9:13am
Msg #64653

Lisa
The reason we recommend the HP printers is because if you are going to accept e-mailed docs you will need a printer with PCL 5 or PCL6 drivers, and these are proprietary HP.

There are some signing agents who have other brand printers that are PCL compliant and haven't had a problem. But I prefer to stick with the HP so I know for sure I won't have any problems printing the edocs.

Reply by Lisa Gumowskyj on 9/11/05 12:21pm
Msg #64664

Re: It's simple PCL5/PCL6 for printers

Thanks... that is very good to know!

Reply by Les_CO on 9/11/05 1:07pm
Msg #64670

Smart people learn from the mistakes of others! I wish I were in that catagory. I knew I needed a laser printer, but didn't know how much/how many edocs I would be getting. So I went out and bought a Lexmark Laser (E321) printer, works fine, but not for 100 page docs.(problem feeding the paper.) Then I bought a Brother Laser HL5170DNLT, duel tray I figured this has everything I need. Well It works, but I find it very fussy about the paper. I'd get to the 65th doc, and then it would skip, and I'd have to start over. All this to save money. I finally bought (as almost everyone on this board recommends) a HP1320tn. Now it worked just fine except on really large PDF files, so after asking on this board I found I needed more memory. Sylvia (Thanks again!!) told me where to get good inexpensive memory (not from HP!) Now I have a good, duel tray, expanded memory, laser printer, that works like a charm! I suggest anyone seroius about this business just spend a little more money to start and get the right printer. Save yourselves, a lot of time, money, and hassles.

Reply by Mdene_AZ on 9/11/05 3:00pm
Msg #64685

I want to learn from YOU! Where to get the extended memory? I have the HP1320tn. I love it for Swiftview but find the PDF ones do not work as well. Please help!

Reply by Les_CO on 9/11/05 4:49pm
Msg #64689

I bought mine from SA Technologies Inc. 3390-H De La Cruz Blvd. Santa Clara, CA 95054
www.satech.com
Your printer has an extra memory slot. Just remove the cover (follow instructions) and put in the additional chip. (the "factory installed chip" stays in place.) You can't have to much memory. Good Luck!!

Reply by DogmongerCA on 9/11/05 10:52am
Msg #64660

Too many companies just tutoring former test questions

instead of teaching the information contained in the Notary Handbook. I am shocked that so few new notaries are not familar with the 2005 Notary Handbook or the SOS website. When I took my notary exam, I just got a book and studied it. I didn't bother taking a class. Same way with the NNA certification test, my sister and I did not buy the book, just challenged the test:-)

Reply by oldhippie_IL on 9/11/05 2:12pm
Msg #64675

Re: Too many companies just tutoring former test questions

I have a Brother 5150DLT dual tray and it works fine.

Reply by Les_CO on 9/11/05 9:36pm
Msg #64705

Re: Too many companies just tutoring former test questions

Mine works okay too. Could be me, but I find it to be a bit fussy about the paper. If I load the paper tray right to the top, with 'one stack" (say 250 sheets) of paper it worKs fine. However if I just say put in 50 sheets, on top of paper already in the tray, when it gets to that "different' area (say the 50th sheet) ( I'm using the SAME paper.) {I use Office Depot 20lb super white} it skips, or loads two sheets, or jams. Not fun in the middle of getting (always late) edocs.
I still use the Brother, but the HP (for me) works better...Never a problem (knock on wood!)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.