Notary Rotary
I think I blew my first loan signing..from CA
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/22/05 1:00pm
Msg #66736

My late husband's brother & wife called last night and wanted to know if I would be their Notary for their house selling documents.

I took the course in Feb. but havent done any signings except for my daughter (which I had no financial part of them), but not loan siging for real estate, so I really was nervous about doing a loan siging of this type.

I had to drive to meet them, and so I kind of rushed out. They had been to court for an ongoing case all day and I knew they would be in a hurry, this is also why they didnt have time to get a Notary earlier in the day, and were afraid if they waited any longer they would be charged.

Anyway I saw on the documents that it was dated for September 20th, and I signed it which was on the 21st (yesterday)...so dates were different..

I have becen worrying about that since.

Then I discover that I didnt get their finger prints for my journal...as all real estate ventures have to have finger prints.

I can do that this weekend I am sure. I dont remember seeing any spaces for fingerprints on the documents, as I believe some have...... (hopefully not)...so I am not too worried about the speediness of getting the prints in my journal. I know we are seeing them this weekend.

Boy do I feel stupid..and I was so exited..it made me want to get out there and really try this business.

They give you so many scenarios about the different things that can go wrong..I was afraid I wouldnt sign the papers right ect. Of course they had the sticky notes telling us where to sign ect..so it was easier than I thought !!

But..I am such a rookie !! Can you tell..... Ha!!

So..can someone tell me how serious these mistakes are? Remember I am a rookie at this !!!!!

Thanks so much !

PS...One more thing...I didnt charge them anything because they are relatives , which I believe is my right, but do I have to put a charge in my journal anyway??!! Thats confusing to me too.

Reply by NotaryinCA on 9/22/05 1:22pm
Msg #66742

I have been doing this for about 2 years... Not alot of purchases though, only refis. HELOC's ect... There has never been an instant where I needed to get fingerprints for the documents themself... Only for my Journal... I have never heard of putting prints on docs.. In California the only doc you can get prints for (in your journal) is the DOT, QCD, or anything affecting real property. Regarding the date, if they were date sensitive that will be an issue.. However, by Law you can not date anything other than the date you did the signing either way... So if they were date sensitive I would immagine they would have said they must be signed on the 20th... I have had MANY closings where they were dated another date... If it was an issue the company would have to redraw docs.. But either way if you are not given the docs that are dated Wed until Thursday that is something you can not control... I would not worry about it... So many companies try to make us second guess our selves so that they can get us to do more work for free, as if we made a mistake... Really get to know CA law, eat, breath, live that handbook... Once you know the law... Stick to your guns, dont let those companies bully you into thinking you dont know what your doing.... Don't feel stupid... You just need to get your confidence, and you can only get that through experience... PS as for the charges, the most you can charge is 10.00 per signature, as for your journal entry...there is no minumum fee... You just can not charge more than 10.00 per signature... Hope this helps, and hope it makes some sense... Good luck in your career...

Reply by Marlene_USNA on 9/22/05 4:16pm
Msg #66797

If you don't charge a customer anything, just write N/C in the journal in the fee column. You don't have to charge a fee if you don't want to.

Reply by christiSocal on 9/23/05 1:55am
Msg #66854

And next time-take a deep breath and don't let them rush you

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.