Notary Rotary
I’ve gone totally mobile!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Becca_FL on 9/28/05 6:04pm
Msg #67875

Okay, for those of you who have emailed me here’s what you need to know about going totally mobile.

First, let me give credit where credit is due. A big THANKS to Margaret/FL, who shared her experiences with this board and helped me bring my business to the next level. Margaret, you are such a dear.

When I decided to get into this business full time, I purchased a Toshiba Satellite Notebook and a Samsung All in One Laser printer (I know, this was before I found NotRot). The Samsung quit after 11mos and I replaced it with an HP 3015. The Samsung was under warrantee so they sent me a refurb @ no charge. I liked having a spare printer, so I could keep one in my car and print on location with my laptop and a phone line. I thought to myself, wow now I’m really mobile! Well, that was until the Super Notary Margaret/FL posted how she did things. *see msg #44007

I don’t believe in re-inventing the wheel, but just knew I could go mobile for less than $5000. I did what many of use tell the “new ones” to do, I started googling. I learned more than I ever wanted to know about power inverters, wattage, amps & wire gauge, but I wanted to make an informed decision. I found out that it is recommended that you run a laser printer with “clean” power. Clean power is only available with “pure sine” inverters, I won’t bore you with the details. With my newfound knowledge, I was ready to start spending money. Here’s what I did and how much it cost me.

Verizon Wireless Broadband Card for the lap top $79.99
Verizon Wireless Broadband monthly service $59.99
PowerBright Pure Sine 1000watt Inverter $270.00 including shipping (Ebay)
Inverter Installation @ a car stereo store $210.00
New HP 1320 @ Office Depot $299.00

I was able to go mobile for under $1000!!! I could have spent less, but decided to get a third printer and was too excited to shop for price.

I drive a Toyota Rav4 and had the inverter mounted on the back of the rear passenger seat, to allow for more space on the back deck. I can fit my HP1320, the Samsung “copier” and my extra paper without a problem.

If you decide to go mobile yourself, the first thing you need to do is contact you printer manufacture(s) and find out how many watts your equipment will pull. Once you have the wattage info, there is a mathematical equation used to figure out what size inverter you will need to power the equipment. The experts do not suggest putting anything larger then 1000 watts if you are hard wiring to your car battery.

I hope this helps.
Becca

Reply by Nd_WA on 9/28/05 6:41pm
Msg #67879

V x I = W

If the label on the back of the printer does not show the wattage it operates at, then there should be a specify amperage on there. The equation to find how many watts your printer run is as mentioned. If your printer operate at 5.6 Amps then the power it needs is 616 Watts (5.6A x 110 Volts).

Your printer operates at two power levels, it takes more power to warm up then reduced to within operating range. In other words, your power supply should have atleast 100 watts more than what your equipment required.

Reply by Roberta_OR on 9/28/05 6:41pm
Msg #67880

Thank you for sharing your process. Smiley

Reply by Margaret_FL on 9/28/05 8:11pm
Msg #67884

Thanks for the compliment. You will happy to know that I have also gone to another level. I have been marketing heavily and networking with other notaries. We have been telling the title companies to call each other if one of us is not available. Monday I worked nonstop from my first closing at 8am and did not get home until 1:30pm. Tuesday all day until 10:30pm, today I had two, tomorrow I had two and Friday I have 4 closing. I just did a purchase closing for the sellers side, buyers are in CA. 23 pages, 1 doc to notarize and it took 30 minutes. I got $100 for this closing and it was on 2 miles away.

The two other notaries and I are setting up a signing service for right now it for just the Jacksonville Metro area. We are leasing office space to do in-house closings and we will be moving into our office on 11/15.
We already have about 10 fulltime notaries and 6 part-time.

We are going to have monthly notary meeting for networking. If we unite, we can raise the prices of what fees the notaries are getting paid. We have found out exactly what the signing companies are being paid and it stinks that we get so little of that fee and all they are doing is using a database to call notaries.

In some cases they are getting $350 and paying us $50. One company is going to pay us $250 and we will pay the notary $125. This is a 50/50 split.

Nations Direct is getting $165 and they are paying the Notaries $40. This is way unfair.

If you live in the Jacksonville area, click on my profile

Reply by MistarellaFL on 9/28/05 8:50pm
Msg #67885

I am getting ready to myself, once I pay down my Office Depot card enough to buy a new laptop. I think I could do about 10 more per week if I had the ability to print in the vehicle. Keep us informed of how you like it and whether you can see an increase in your revenue.
I personally think it's a great idea, but I keep getting the wait and see from the hubby.

Reply by TCMN on 9/28/05 9:54pm
Msg #67891

I'm glad to hear it Becca

I think I have emailed back and forth to a few in regard to the networking and how it CAN work. I know there are NSA's out there that think, no way I'm not giving the business away but really, you can't do them all and neither can the other notaries,. So, what's wrong with passing them back and forth? You come out in the end much better than trying to be greedy.

I'm happy for you Becca and I just did it a little different but still very much like Margaret. I have currecnt client contracts that when I have overflow I can give it to the notaries that work with me. My clients don't want to hassle with all the people and I don't either really. I want to service them but can't clone myself.....I take that back, I have a clone who I've put a lot of mentoring in and she is my clone and a good friend now and we cover each other when we need. There isn't a better situation besides finding more clones.

But I'm glad you achieved a goal of yours. It's not that hard if you work for it and put the time in. And it feels a lot better to doesn't it Becca?

jmo

Reply by B__CA on 9/28/05 10:18pm
Msg #67899

How many calls have you had to use it? I have a fax machine that I carry with me and I have used it at different times when they haven't gotten a hud to me before I had to leave. I also carry a copy machine to copy borrowers ID.

Reply by Margaret_FL on 9/28/05 11:12pm
Msg #67906

I have an Efax number and I have my fax at home forward to my efax number. Then I am able to receive the HUD or title docs on the road. I pay 12.95 a month and it is worth it.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/29/05 7:59am
Msg #67913

Re: I’ve gone totally mobile re: power supply

If you have a 1000W power supply there are a few things to note.
1. Be careful what you use on the system. When motors start they can take up to 3 times the operating wattage. An example would be if you wanted to run a small air compressor. It may say 500W, but can draw 1500 watts to start. Unless the system has overload protection, you could do some damage.
2. Don't use a power switch to turn on multiple pieces of equipment. Turn them on one at a time. This helps avoid sudden demand that could exceed your power supply ability.
3. If at all possible, turn off as much equipment as possible when system won't be used for a period of time i.e. during a closing. Start vehicle with as much equipment turned off as possible. I'm not saying this is a must, but will protect your car battery.

Art

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/29/05 10:21am
Msg #67925

Art, I use an isolator on my system

I have been mobile for a number of years, recently featured in Realtor Magazine. I also have a mobile recording studio and have learned a few things along the way. I have my inverter system isolated from the my car's operating system so that my electronic equipment does not drain my car's battery. The system I use consists of two deep draw 12 volt batteries in series and separated by an isolator from the cars electrical system. That way my starter draws on my car battery, my charger charges all the batteries but my electronics draw only on the dual batteries. The isolator can be purchased at any RV supply store or in most large auto supply stores. With an isolator in place you never have to worry about your car battery getting discharged by your electronics.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/29/05 1:02pm
Msg #67960

Re: Art, I use an isolator on my system

Know the system. Back about 10 years ago, where I was living, high powered CB systems were all the rage. Helped wire one truck up - 10 batteries in the truck bed!!! Could light a flouresent bulb from 20 feet. Open half the garage doors in the city as you drove by. Peak output - 3000 watts !!!

Art

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.