Increased Fuel Expense
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by JZ on 9/2/05 11:21pm
Msg #63591

Increased Fuel Expense

What are we charging to cover the higher fuel costs

Reply by Roger_OH on 9/2/05 11:58pm
Msg #63592

There's no "we" here. Everyone's situation and regional variables are different. Just as you determine your regular fee schedule in view of your particular competitive situation, you have to assess any impact of the gas situation in your area and determine what's best for YOUR business, and what your local market will bear. Your business, your choice.

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/3/05 10:12am
Msg #63619

Roger, gas prices will level off soon in my opinion, But have you increased your fees any? Have you cut back on your normal travel distance? Or are you just hanging in there to see what happens? jc

Reply by Roger_OH on 9/3/05 3:43pm
Msg #63649

I like Bob/Chicago's analysis. He notes if gas prices rose $1/gallon in the past year (say from 2.25 to 3.25) and you get 25MPG, then a 50 mile RT that cost $4 last year costs $6 this year.
For title company fees, which are mostly what I do, that doesn't seem to justify a major adjustment at this point. Maybe Congress will have the IRS adjust mileage allowances for this year due to the unanticipated price increases.

My advice is to consider the big picture and don't cut off your nose to spite your face; I don't think it's worth turning down work because a company won't pay you another $10 for your
"gas surcharge"; they'll just go to the next notary on their list and you end up with zero. I would suggest it's better to have 80-90% of something than 100% of nothing.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.