Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Lost docs, Tracking number, re-sign, who pays?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Eugene Tripp on 9/15/05 8:31pm
Msg #65539

I was in a rush heading out the door to two signings when I received a call from a SS I have not worked for in the past. The new signing was practically at my door step, and the docs were already with the signers who were very flexable as to the appointment time. Too good to be true, I thought.

I accepted the signing and all went extremely well, and I shipped the signed docs in the pre-addressed envelope the title company had provided the borrowers.
Then later when in the process of setting up an account for the new SS in my books, I did a search on them and found numerious negetive comments as to a slow or no pay.

Two days later, the SS called to say the documents had not arrived, and that the shipper can not find a record of the tracking number. They implied that I many have dropped the docs in the wrong box or...

I explained that that did not happen. I always drop my documents at the same location in front of the city court house. Moreover, on that particular morning, I had two packages for one particular shipper and one for the other. Therefore, I remember distinctly checking for pick up times as I dropped the respective packages in their proper boxes.

So I'm wondering what will happens next? If the documents are delivered, then I only have to be concerned with getting paid for my services.

On the other hand, if the docs do not show up, then will the SS expect me to resign the borrowrs? If so would I not be intitled to demand pre payment, and or a second trip fee?

I apppreciate any comments and feedback.

Eugene

Reply by Melissa Mills on 9/15/05 8:38pm
Msg #65549

Did you keep the tracking number and did you check it online to see if the docs have been scanned in or if they have been delivered to the wrong place?

Reply by Anonymous on 9/15/05 8:49pm
Msg #65558

Eugene, sorry you had such an experience I would imagine that the company will have to pay you for the first signing and the second signing. But your real problem is "What happened to those docs?" Melissa is correct you can try to track on line and also go to the Main fedex office or whatever company shipped thru and tell them where dropped off pkg. and the time they will check with the driver. I have a suggestion for Everyone, Take those pkgs to a kikkos, or ups station and hand them to the clerk- or even better save yourself the trip and have them picked-up. That's what I do so I know that a "Human Being" was the last person with the docs and you get your receipt in "your hot sweaty hand" You have your Notary Reg. to back you up that the signing did happen!
Teddog_CO

Reply by Teddog_CO on 9/15/05 8:49pm
Msg #65560

Eugene, sorry you had such an experience I would imagine that the company will have to pay you for the first signing and the second signing. But your real problem is "What happened to those docs?" Melissa is correct you can try to track on line and also go to the Main fedex office or whatever company shipped thru and tell them where dropped off pkg. and the time they will check with the driver. I have a suggestion for Everyone, Take those pkgs to a kikkos, or ups station and hand them to the clerk- or even better save yourself the trip and have them picked-up. That's what I do so I know that a "Human Being" was the last person with the docs and you get your receipt in "your hot sweaty hand" You have your Notary Reg. to back you up that the signing did happen!
Teddog_CO

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/15/05 8:52pm
Msg #65561

Teddog_CO. I most respectfully disagree about handing the packages to someone at a drop off location and getting a receipt as a method of protecting oneself. I dropped off a package at Staples for UPS about a month ago, including getting a receipt for the package. It was finally handed to the UPS driver 4 days later!!! That didn't happen until I went into Staples and asked where the *)(#() my package was. The TC was not amused.

Reply by Teddog_CO on 9/15/05 9:00pm
Msg #65569

MelissaM FL

Holy Cow!! I do believe I'd just "shoot" myself and get it over with LOL Here I thought I had an "almost" foolproof system LOL No such Beastie !Right! Of course I would be willing to Hand deliver some pks-the one's going to Florida,California and Arizonia all expences paid LOL In the months on Jan., Feb. and Mar. Do you think they'ed go for that one? LOL

Teddog_CO

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/15/05 9:06pm
Msg #65572

Re: MelissaM FL

I was about ready to shoot myself, especially as we'd been having problems with boxes being broken into and I was trying to insure the safety of my package... can't win for lsoing some days.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/15/05 10:28pm
Msg #65606

You want "foolproof" ...

... hand deliver them yourself. Smiley (J/K) Second best ... At my (and other "professionals") insistence, our local "Goin Postal" outlet now has FedEx and UPS scanners at the counter. When I hand my packages to them, they immediately scan them into the appropriate courier's database. Then the courier service is responsible for the package.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/16/05 2:08am
Msg #65625

Re: You want "foolproof" ...

This seems way too time consuming to me.

I just drop my packages in overnight boxes and haven't had any problems in over 2 years. I'd rather take my chances on having to deal with the very occasional lost package than waste 30-60 minutes a week standing in line and getting packages scanned just to cover my butt in case something happens.

That really adds up on an annual basis and my main priority in this business is to maximize my use of time wisely. The occasional hassle is cheaper to deal with in the long run.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/16/05 12:08pm
Msg #65687

>>> I'd rather take my chances on having to deal with the very occasional lost package than waste 30-60 minutes a week standing in line and getting packages scanned just to cover my butt in case something happens. <<<

I don't wait in line. I walk in, right up to the counter and they take my packages, scan them and I leave. Takes less time than going to a drop box and fooling with the new fangled package doors which only accepts one package at a time.

I've had numerous problems with drop boxes. Drivers not picking them up, someone stealing the box (yep, the whole thing!) and having a truck run over the box. Besides, I like to have the audit trail that I did my job.

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/16/05 12:59pm
Msg #65697

I have been dropping CaliNotary Style up to now. Never had a problem.

I am 99.9% positive that will change in a week or so and I will change up to do the Paul-FL Method, but with a slight modification.

To get to the FEDEX office with the 6:30 pm drop, I have been driving by a set of condos which I thought were really "cute" and looked like somewhere I'd like to live...but I figured I could never afford the price of them.

One came up for sale at the end of August, they accepted my contract after we countered around a little and I am hopefully closing on it next week.

Ms. Dog and Mr. Dog (friends, but not married) and I hope to be walking my packages up to the FEDEX office doors in the near future. It's only a few blocks. I cannot take the dogs in with me, but I figure I can open the door and hurl the package onto the scales with a degree of accuracy.

I have already started practicing. Hitting the silver tray is not a problem. It's the force I put behind the toss that is tricky. They tend to slide over onto the floor. I am working on it.

Any suggestions from you FEDEX tossing experts?

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/16/05 2:57pm
Msg #65717

My business partner says that you should toss underhand as in slow pitch softball. ;)

Reply by mimurrayFl on 9/16/05 2:19am
Msg #65626

Re: Lost docs, Tracking number, MelissaFl and TeddogCO

Teddog, I agree with your reasoning, I feel MUCH better handing the docs off in the hands of the delivery service. Melissa, in relation to your situation the problem I see is you had a third party involved, Staples. Someone at Staples most likely missed getting your package to the shipper.

In my business I am incorporated. Sub S-corp....MANY tax advantages. Because I send so many packages I have accounts with Fed Ex and UPS. After I do a signing I simply call for a pick up at my home (which is also my office) The driver comes, with the envelope. I personally put the docs in the envelope at the truck, he/she puts the label on, I watch him/her scan it and away he/she goes. I have not had one problem yet.

Mike

Reply by mimurrayFl on 9/16/05 2:27am
Msg #65627

Re: Lost docs, Tracking number, MelissaFl and TeddogCO

I forgot to add...I may not always be there when the driver comes and I have two backups. One is my wife. She doesn't work so she can give the docs to the driver upon arrival and if she can't be there I have a supply of envelopes and leave the package in between my doors. When calling for the pickup they always ask if there are instructions for the driver, such as where the envelope will be. Again, I have yet to have a problem.

Mike

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/16/05 12:36pm
Msg #65695

Re: Lost docs, Tracking number, mimurrayFL

Mike, The reason I don't do pick ups at my door is because 1) I'm not always there when the truck runs and 2) I thought shipping was more expensive when they pick up the packages. If it's not, having Fed Ex and UPS pick up the docs is fine and probably less time consuming.

Reply by Rick_NY on 9/18/05 3:40pm
Msg #65948

It may not be any more reliable to hand your package over the counter, but at least you have a receipt that you did your job. I have had instances where I know I dropped the packages in valid drop boxes and when there is a problem, the courier service invariably starts up with, "Are you sure you dropped it off 'blah blah blah'?"

Reply by Eugene Tripp on 9/15/05 9:23pm
Msg #65577

Hello Mellisa,

I did make a note of the Tr#, but it does not show up in the shippers system, it was a prepaid label from the title co.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/15/05 9:31pm
Msg #65581

I'd be calling the company and asking them to look for the package, especially if it's not showing up in their system. Did the other package you sent at the same time get delivered properly? Oh, and who made the preprinted label? You or the TC?

Reply by Eugene Tripp on 9/16/05 12:43am
Msg #65614

Bothe of the other two pacages arrived ok.
The label for the missing package was provided by the title company and already on the package.

Reply by Linda_in_MI on 9/15/05 9:49pm
Msg #65588

Eugene,
Even a prepaid label from the shipper has a unique tracking #, the only thing that would make it common to other labels from that shipper would be the account number, not the tracking #. There are ways: if given the drop off location, tracking number, who sent the package or where the package was going, any cooperative customer service rep or manager worth their salt should be able to give you info if the package was scanned.

Reply by Eugene Tripp on 9/16/05 12:47am
Msg #65615

Thank you Linda, I gave the SS and the shipper that information and they are looking into the situation.

Reply by Barry Silver on 9/15/05 10:07pm
Msg #65596

Hopefully you kept a record of the tracking number. If so, you know what to do. If not, you know you need to do a little investigative work.

This is one reason I always take the docs to a person and get a receipt for them, and it is also why I always keep a record of the tracking numbers.

After you investigate the matter, I am certain you take the correct measures.

Reply by Teddog_CO on 9/15/05 10:30pm
Msg #65607

Barry Silver

See my post-You are thinking like me. I always hand those docs to a Live person or have them picked up. That way you have Something to show that you held up your end. Your Journal will back you up as to the signing time, I also fingerprint every signer (even if it's not required in Colorado yet) to protect myself if something should ever happen. At least you have yourself covered and they will have to pay for your services. It's out of our hands once those docs are delivered to fedex or ups.

Teddog_CO

Reply by Barry Silver on 9/16/05 12:52am
Msg #65618

Re: Barry Silver

I agree completely. It is almost incomprehensible the measures we must take to verify that we go above and beyond the call of duty just to stay out of proverbial "hot water." When push comes to shove, everyone likes to use the NSA as the scapegoat.

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 9/16/05 7:01am
Msg #65634

I usually print my shipping lable online. I can then enter my email address and as soon as the package is scanned I get an email confriming shipping. I also get an email confirming reciept. I have had companies say they did not recieve the package and I just email them the delivery confirmation and get a quick "Oh, I'm sorry! Thanks"

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/16/05 7:50am
Msg #65642

I write down the tracking # and the pickup # on the back of the confirmation. I always call for a pickup. For me to hand deliver them is an extra 20 miles RT (for which they refuse to pay) I have never once had any client complain about extra charges for pickup services.

Reply by Eugene Tripp on 9/16/05 1:02am
Msg #65621

Thank you all for the great feed back, and I appreciate your help.

Reply by Eugene Tripp on 9/16/05 12:58am
Msg #65620

Berry, I often take my packages to a local Post Net etc. during regular hours due to the fact there are no local Fed Ex or UPS outlets within miles of my location. The sub agents like Post net etc. here say they do not provide receipts unless they originate the shipping label? I always keep track of the shipping info including tracking # and account number even when the return label is provided.

In the future I will call for a pick up!!!

Reply by MissyNV on 9/16/05 1:04am
Msg #65622

ask your Postal net personal if they use "I ship" They can and should provide you with a receipt. they are getting paid at least .60 for each letter you drop off. Make them hand write a receipt if you have to. Once they take procession of it it is their responsibility. Postal Net is a franchise, so complain if you have to.

Reply by Renee Kovacs on 9/16/05 4:31am
Msg #65629

Lost shipped packages

Lost pkgs happen - to paraphrase! They happen regardless of the various methods used to ship (drop-box, pick-up, etc) and regardless of which shipping co it is. So do shredded pkgs, pkgs delivered to wrong places, all these things happen.

The most anyone can do is practice due diligence, keep all info (I keep copies of actual labels, even if it's included in pkg I make a copy) and log where/how you shipped.

Some swear by handing to a 'live person', some use drop-boxes and 'never' have issues, some use pick-up - and you will see by the various posts that ALL methods encounter issues sometimes.

Reply by DogmongerCA on 9/16/05 7:55am
Msg #65644

Eugene, was this UPS

Sounds curiously like a situation I had with them about three weeks ago. First they said, 1. This is not a recognized UPS tracking number. 2. It was not shipped from a authorized UPS shipping center. 3. After two days both of these were denbunked, and the package was scanned when picked up, scanned at the regional hub, and then the package disappeared.
Eventually even though they said I was out of the loop because my account number was not used in shipping as the shipper, the package showed up on my doorstop two days later. Interesting note, UPS says they have now way to actually track air packages with GPS. when lost the only way to find, is to institue a trace. My luck with this company has always been bad, and my new motto is, IF IT'S BROWN, FLUSH IT:-)

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.