Notary Rotary
NNA not promoting Va Notaries Anymore
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by newlysmomva on 9/13/05 3:12pm
Msg #64976

I just read an article on the NNA website that they would no longer promote Va notaries because CRESPA says that people handling funds must be licensed title agents and a notary MIGHT handle a check. Are all Va notaries participated in this site also licensed as title agents? Just interested....I have been a title agent for years and years, but didn't do closings until very recently. Why would anyone from Va join the NNA if that is true.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/13/05 9:33pm
Msg #65035

As you probably know, MD requires a Title producer's Licenses to do refi's or helocs with title insurance.

The NNA has a large presence in the minds of a lot of SSs and TCs. They know that NNA has a large database of members. They will use that database and look for a note saying that they are a Title Producer.
Whenever a new SS or TC calls, I always ask how they got my name. A large number say from the NNA list. For the small $$, it's cheap marketing.

Art

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/14/05 7:31am
Msg #65085

So they will still list Va notaries if they are also title agents? I was under the impression from the article that they would not list VA people at all.

Reply by LilyMD on 9/14/05 8:52am
Msg #65106

Re: My two cents worth

I have to have a title producer's license in MD, yet my brother-in-law, a loan broker doesn't require any special licensing here because he works under his firm's umbrella. What really burns me up is the cost of doing business as a NSA in MD (bonds aren't cheap is one thing) and I am only legally able to tell a borrower that they will need to contact their loan officer with their questions. They're contacting someone like my brother-in-law! Who dreamed up this system??? I hope Virginia does it better.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/14/05 9:30am
Msg #65117

I paid for a membership which includes a listing. To the best of my knowledge, that has not changed. In my profile the first line is "Licensed MD Title Producer" with my license #. I know a lot of the calls I got from out of the blue, came because they found my name on the NNA site.

Which article are you referring to ??

Art

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/14/05 10:02am
Msg #65126

There was an article from their website entitled, "Virginia Notary Signing Agents Must Be Licensed Title Insurance Agents" by NNA Staff, in the Notary News.
It's good to know you got business because of their listing. They offer to refund membership money to Va notaries who no longer think listing will benefit them.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.