Notary Rotary
Need info about refilling HP1320 toner
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Carol_in_MI on 9/23/05 9:03pm
Msg #67049

I have decided to do as many of you recommend and start refilling my toner cartridges. I just got my refill kit from TonerKits and have two questions:

1. The location of where to make the hole does not look correct on the diagram that came with the refill. I have the smaller of the two sizes of cartridges (Q5949A), and there is a hollow spot behind the marked area that would not go into the hopper. Should the hole go a little higher on the angled area?

2. I have read that certain brands of cartridges need to have the waste toner emptied (vacuuumed out) and others do not even have a second hopper for waste toner. The instructions with my toner kit say nothing about emptying waste toner. Do I need to do this with the HP1320? If so, how?

Thanks so much for any help. You guys are great.

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 9/24/05 12:29am
Msg #67075

Carol,

I recently asked the exact same question and got the following answer (which worked for me)

"I know what you mean!!! I did it just like the instructions a couple of weeks ago and I damaged one empty cartridge. You need to make the whole exactly where there is a little picture that shows a thermometer (for the temperature) that is on a original HP used-empty cartrigde. That would be about half inch up from where the instructions tell you to make the hole.
After that it is a piece of cake.
Good luck"

Reply by Carol_in_MI on 9/24/05 7:45am
Msg #67090

What about waste toner????

Thank you, Leslie. That is exactly what I needed to know. I remembered reading something about that but couldn't find it by doing a search.

Do you know if anything needs to be done with waste toner?

Reply by Leslie_Mo on 9/24/05 2:29pm
Msg #67148

Re: What about waste toner????

I don't know anything about waste toner other than what I've read on here. I think PAW may have said that after refilling a cartridge 3-4 times you may have to pitch it cause of the waste toner will start leaving marks on your pages. There may be a way to get rid of the waste but I don't know how.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/24/05 2:53pm
Msg #67152

In my opinion, it isn't worth the trouble and mess to empty the waste toner compartment. By the time it is full enough to cause problems, the transfer matte (drum) is probably shot anyway, as are some of the other moving parts. The mechanical pieces are not made to last a long time.

Reply by Carol_in_MI on 9/24/05 8:11pm
Msg #67189

Thanks, PAW. That's what I was hoping to hear. I just wasn't sure if some brands of cartridges needed to have the waste toner emptied each time in order to work right. As long as 1320s don't have to be done each time, I won't worry about messing with it.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.