Notary Rotary
New Printer/New Problems HELP Appreciated
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by MsRobbo on 9/20/05 4:18pm
Msg #66239

I am trying to install my brother HL-5140 and the software won't download. I keep getting this error message 16 bit subsystem The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. Searched for the correct download to fix problem with microsoft and it's still not working. Brother says it's a microsoft problem not theirs!!! Also I purchase the second tray and can't install that. Has this happened to anyone??? If so, I could use your help in a big way. I used the search button but nothing came up about this.

Reply by Barry Silver on 9/20/05 4:27pm
Msg #66240

If Brother is not willing to give you the technical assistance you require, you might want to return it for a different brand.

Reply by Kiso on 9/20/05 4:44pm
Msg #66244

I agree, I would get an HP or something popular. DO NOT get a Canon for the love of everyone. You're better off taking it back....but, just for kicks...what version of windows do you have? I work in tech support, I might be able to help you.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 9/20/05 4:39pm
Msg #66242

MsRobbo, It is my understanding this printer supports both Mac and Pc's. The printer comes with both CDs. Do you think you might be putting in the wrong CD in since "not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications."

If it is the correct CD it should download the printer program.

Reply by Cherilyn_CO on 9/20/05 4:49pm
Msg #66245

Yes! I just did this!

Make sure you're using the correct disk, and not the one for mac.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 9/20/05 6:51pm
Msg #66281

Re: Yes! I just did this!

Maybe you can try turning the computer off then turn on your printer and then turn your computer on again. This may allow your computer to recognize a new hardware and ask if you wish to install software for it.

Reply by Giselle_CA on 9/20/05 6:57pm
Msg #66283

Re: Yes! I just did this!

Also try disabling the antivirus and firewall during install...

Reply by CMS_NY on 9/20/05 5:05pm
Msg #66250

Are you installing the proper CD?

ie. The proper CD for Windows XP or the proper CD for Windows 98/ME/etc..

You have to install the CD for which operating system you are using.

I'm sure this is not the case, but figured I write the obvious.

I have the Brother 5150DLT and had no problems installing it (I have the Windows XP operating system).

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/20/05 5:44pm
Msg #66263

What version windows?

I have a 5140 on both a windows 98 machine and xp without problems. Usually the problem lies with not choosing the correct operating system on the CD (mac or windows). If you are running an eairler version of windows, like 98, 2000 or me, then your file system must be FAT32 in order for the drivers to run properly. XP should already be FAT32. Go to programs, accessories, system tools, drive conversion to check to see if your drive has the correct file system.

I always take some heat for suggesting this, but no matter what version of windows you are running, you should have the latest updates from the appropriate windows site (its free). Also you should be running at least 2 or 3 different anti-spyware programs, an anti-virus program and a firewall of some kind. When one of my friends or associates comes to me to fix one of their problems, if it is not a hardware problem, it almost always could have been prevented with one of the above precautions. You can always get more information on this from one of those radio computer websites such as leoville.com or kimcommando.com.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/20/05 6:25pm
Msg #66269

Re: What version windows?

Glenn,

Are you sure that the Brother drivers won't work on an NTFS partition? The file system shouldn't make any difference to the driver unless it is doing its own disk I/O or requires the DOS file subsystem (which really would need FAT16 or FAT12). Now, a problem with installing drivers on an NTFS partition is often because the installer needs to be an administrator and the permissions of the file must be properly set. I've seen a lot of "failures" of low-level device handlers, such as drivers, because they weren't installed properly.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I don't have a Brother printer to test with, so I must yield to those who say it is so. Also, I thought that NTFS-5 was the "default" file system for all the new XP machines. (Of course, this would be up to the system integration group that configured the platform, but NTFS-5 is the "preferred" file system by Mikey Squish.)

Reply by Glenn Strickler on 9/20/05 6:35pm
Msg #66274

Well, I am not really sure. I was speculating by the error code he was getting. I know a lot of problems that some of my friends had went away when we went to 32 bit. I suspect he has some deeper problems on the machine such as a fragmented hard drive, but he hasn't gotten back to say what version of windows he is using. Versions of windows before XP tend to "fall apart" with use and lose some files. My windows 98 machine (which I am using now and I have had since '97) I do a spring cleaning on every year and re-load windows. It's is tough to see what is going on when the machine is not in front of you. It is usually something simple.

Reply by MsRobbo on 9/20/05 7:25pm
Msg #66290

I am using windows XP. Thank you all for your help. I finally got a hold of Brother and this time they were very understanding but still state that it is a windows problem and faxed me over info on what to download. Keep your fingers crossed.

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/20/05 9:16pm
Msg #66311

No offense meant -- it's www.komando.com -- N/M

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.