OH MY GOSH...is he serious?
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/26/05 12:40am
Msg #67290

I just got the email from NotaryLocator and it states this quote and example:

“Warren, I signed up on the NotaryLocator just last week and have already had 3 companies call me!! I am excited!!”

Debbie Hamilton

Increase the Number of Mobile Notary Signings you receive each month.

You can see her (Debbie’s) personal webpage that she got for only $24.95 a year(30% off during September) by visiting this link…

http://www.notarylocator.com/webpage.asp?nid=2489

Are they serious? Take a look at her fees? Yeah, anyone stating they will drive 40 miles if someone overnights a package to them for $65 or even $85 will get 3 calls or even more. I go 5 miles or less for $65 and that has to be a CitiBank Heloc or Navy heloc. Are you kidding? And if the $85 IS for a refi? Won't touch that $85 ever, but if they want to over night one for $100 then it's within my city only.

What a joke. And you just want to slap the notary for bringing our fees down. What people, what exactly does someone have to say to each of you taking nothing for the work you do? Do you have to have your self-worth brought up? Because I think each of us "oldies" would be happy to take turns and say nice things to make you feel better about yourselves if it means that you wil STOP DOING SIGNINGS FOR SUCH LOW FEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you hear me now??????

Reply by LawrenceOK on 9/26/05 8:30am
Msg #67311

Talk all ya want, they aren't listening! Slap em if ya want, they cant feel it! They can't see past a 50 dollar bill. It's just amazing to me how some of them can drive 80mi RT for a $50 overnight heloc. And forget notarylocator, Build your own site at geo cities ( I know, some of you don't like the pop-up adds) but at least it's free.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/26/05 3:27pm
Msg #67415

" Build your own site at geo cities ( I know, some of you don't like the pop-up adds) but at least it's free."

I think that if you want to be treated like a professional, you need to look like a professional in all aspects, and to me a geocities website screams unprofessionalism. It's easy to find ultra cheap web hosting and a domain name can be registered for under 10 bucks a year.

Free is not always the best option. Somebody with a geocities website, a hotmail address and a free efax area code that doesn't match their phone area code comes across looking like a hobbyist IMO.

Reply by CA_Violet on 9/26/05 10:13am
Msg #67328

Went to the NotaryLocator site. I looked up some of the notaries in my area (Kern County, CA) as a new notary I am trying very hard not to set or accept such low rates that it affects others in my area but it is a little upsetting to see those notaries in my area are setting their fees at $65.00 and $85.00 some state 85-105. No wonder I am waiting and waiting to hear the calls come in. Darn it! Can anyone out there tell me if this is really the average rate I can expect for my area?

Reply by NY_TaxLady on 9/26/05 10:46am
Msg #67337

Went to my zip code also and the same fees were listed. I wonder if the site sets it or the notaries? It looks like it is a national fee being touted.

Reply by CA_Violet on 9/26/05 11:07am
Msg #67340

Re: Well I will continue to decline low offers.

I know with time my business will build up and I will just have to be patient.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/26/05 12:21pm
Msg #67354

There is more of an idiot listed when I called up my zip - $50-$65 - 100+ miles.

Reply by CA_Violet on 9/26/05 12:37pm
Msg #67363

That's a shame. I don't know how they think they will be able to make ends meet. They are probably doing this on a part time basis and do not intend to make this their main source of income.

Reply by Mysti_FL on 9/26/05 1:54pm
Msg #67392

Re: Will We Ever Really Know???

I have been very worried lately about the calls I have gotten, barely any at all! My typical monthly gross income is about $2400. Last month and this one was less than half!

This past week LSI called me. She was calling to review my "new-hire pkg" with me (it was actually only an update of my commission that I sent them at their request).

She asked "well, I see here that to notarize one document you charge $75.00" I advised that I did and she said, well, we cannot pay that high for ONE document. I told her I'd consider bringing it down and she stated she generally paid $40 in my area for that. I told her she could consider me only as backup for that type of work, then.

She then asked, "well, what counties do you handle?" She finds where I listed the counties and says "oh, I see. Well, what would you charge for an assignment in your county?" I advised her $90 plus $25 e-docs. She says "well, we have people who will do the job for $50 in that county". I advised her she needed to use them then, and only use me as backup since traveling from one side of the county to the other took an hour (or more when in rush hour traffic) and it really wouldn't be feasible at $50.

She said ok, and hung up!

I had a signing agency, Prime Time, insist I handle 20 page closing docs for them for $50, which included downloading of the docs. I did it for them "as a favor" two or three times due to the volume of work I received from them. They almost made it impossible for me not to accept. However, when they came back for more of these jobs, I did one more, but advised them this was the last of the $50 jobs I would do for them.

Since then, I am only doing their last minute (which most are anyway) jobs that they cannot find anyone else to do. But they lost a valuable signer (there were other issues involved. they pay on time but they were jerking me around a bit with the money). They used to be my top customers and I did whatever it took for them, including one night, working until 6:00 AM handling signings!!! How many other folks could have or would have done this for them? I am quite sure they have find others to do their work much cheaper (since I referred several other notaries to them who charge as I do and they did not bother to use them!).

Oh well, now (for the first time), I am really going to have to sit and market my services! Better start right now ---- title companies, here I am!!!!

Good luck all!

Mysti

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/26/05 2:30pm
Msg #67401

I suspect that..........

Normal fee is the fee charged within their local area whatever that might be and the distance driven is tne max distance. I don't know for a fact since I am not lieted on their site. NNA does something similar and they don't really give you a chance to elaborate its like what is your fee and they give youa check box and the same for for the mileage. I am sure if you looked up my profile on NNA you'd consider me an idiot because I list my standard fee which to me is MY standard whichis for my next door neighbors place and I can walk to that. My max distance is anywhere in the State but believe me if you want me to do a notariaztion in San Diego it's going to include meals and lodging as well as drive time. Smiley

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.