Notary Rotary
OT - On behalf of Katrina survivors
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Iris_WA on 9/1/05 1:02pm
Msg #63334

Found this posting at Craig's List, New Orleans (see many other messages there).

MAIL ITEMS TO ASTRODOME IN HOUSTON FOR HURRICANE VICTIMS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: [e-mail address]
Date: 2005-09-01, 9:50AM CDT

Want to help????? I know they are bringing 20-25,000 refugees from the Superdome in LA to the Astrodome in Houston. I'm sure they could use whatever they receive to help these victims.

Reliant Astrodome
1 Reliant Park
Houston, TX 77054

God Bless!!!!!!!

no -- it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

-------------

Note from me -- if you wish more information, please contact the address in cut & paste above.

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/1/05 5:03pm
Msg #63358

Correction to above post

Someone corrected me and contacted the Astrodome. Here's what she learned:

"I just called the Astrodome in Houston.
You can not mail any packages to them.
You have to call the Red Cross at 713-313-5480 and get there mailing address and they will deliver packages direct to the Dome in Houston.*

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/1/05 11:06pm
Msg #63402

Additional Information to Help Survivors (my own thread??)

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Freecycle(TM) groups are trying to
help. As much as we would like to donate goods to these folks, used
items are not of use to these charities at this time. In a disaster
of this proportion it is more expedient for charities to buy goods
locally. The cost of sorting, packing, and shipping used goods is
prohibitive.

While a variety of government and private agencies are en route to
assist victims of Hurricane Katrina, federal officials said people
wanting to help should not head to the affected area unless directed
by an agency. Instead, Michael Brown, head of the Federal Emergency
Management Agency, urged people to make cash contributions to
organizations.

List of agencies accepting donations for Hurricane Relief:

. American Red Cross: 800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575
Spanish

. Operation Blessing: 800-436-6348

. America's Second Harvest: 800-344-8070

. Adventist Community Services: 800-381-7171

. Catholic Charities, USA: 703-549-1390

. Christian Disaster Response: 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554

. Christian Reformed World Relief Committee: 800-848-5818

. Church World Service: 800-297-1516

. Convoy of Hope: 417-823-8998

. Lutheran Disaster Response: 800-638-3522

. Mennonite Disaster Service: 717-859-2210

. Nazarene Disaster Response: 888-256-5886

. Presbyterian Disaster Assistance: 800-872-3283

. Salvation Army: 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769)

. Southern Baptist Convention -- Disaster Relief: 800-462-8657, ext.

. United Methodist Committee on Relief: 800-554-8583
---------------------------------------------------------------------
If you or a loved one is affected by the recent disaster situation:

The person affected needs to contact FEMA to get into the system to
start receiving assistance. For assistance, they can call or apply
online from the FEMA website. They are going to need some
information such as their full name, home address, address where
they are now staying, contact phone numbers, social security numbers
for themselves and their family members, home / renters insurance
information. If they do not have all this information, still call
and get into the system. They can call later to update the
information, but it is imperative they get registered. ONLY give
this information to FEMA, not to anyone contacting them unless they
are with FEMA and are with Community Relations, Human Services, SBA
or some other aspect. IF THEY ARE WITH FEMA, THEY WILL HAVE A
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY / FEMA PHOTO ID BADGE!

FEMA in conjunction with the NVOADs assists with temporary housing
assistance, food vouchers, clothing vouchers, etc, but the people
affected need to get into the system ASAP. Once they get into the
system with FEMA, the NVOADs can also assist them through their
services.

www.FEMA.gov <' target='_blank'>http://www.fema.gov/>
1-800-621-FEMA
1-800-621-3362

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/1/05 11:37pm
Msg #63411

Iris you're a one woman relief squad....

The information here is great! I got the email from freecycle too. Anything helps.

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/2/05 12:00am
Msg #63418

Off the OT to Chihuahua-girl .... ;)

I have a new "cheering" squad ... she's a 1-y.o. Siamese I "rescued" from NOAH, but it seems she's the one who's rescued me. She's a total delight ... and so affectionate. This morning, as I rolled over in bed about to get up ... she came up to me and licked the top of my nose! Seems I got me a doggie-cat! Mrowf!! Smiley

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/2/05 8:28am
Msg #63458

Re: OT - On behalf of Katrina survivors - Iris

Iris...

I can't take watching this unfold, every time I see it I cry. Jim Cantore from the weather channel and the woman whom was handed a very small plastic bag with a tube of toothpaste and soap and deodorant proceeded to cry from gratefulness tore my heart up.

Yesterday, I spent most of the afternoon trying to organize a project, making tons of phone calls looking for a place to start. Pray that the Superintendent of schools here, that I e-mailed, gives me an approval to collect things from the list. I figure that all the families with kids watching this will learn and feel good about making a donation to help their neighbors who have been so devastated.

I finally got down to the local Salvation Army and got a list of things that they are currently taking to McComb, LA. She is willing to send her trucks over to pick everything up if it flies with the Huntsville schools. Waiting with crossed fingers to hear back, then it's going to be an all out collection.

Then I'll call all the local movers and ask them to donate boxes and try to get zip lock bags to make little hygiene kits at each school...I'm typing thru tears here...

Reply by hcampersFL on 9/2/05 9:19am
Msg #63465

Re: OT - This is long but please read~

We are being unindated with video footage of all the bad stuff let me tell you about something I witnessed yesterday.
I went to Sam's to buy supplies, (copy paper, folders etc.) well then I had to buy some much needed grocery's (for some reason my family likes to have food in the house?).

Well I get in line ( at least 4 people back of course) and in the next check out over I see this short little women unloading cart after cart of stuff. There were at least 5 carts. She has towels, sheets, pillows, coolers, meat, milk, bread (only one case of beer?) etc.....you get the picture. Well the people in line are all looking at her like she is just ruining thier day because they are having to wait longer, you know the type rolling there eyes, tapping thier feet (that would usually be me with the foot thing). So I remark to the woman behind that she must be buying for the hurricane. Well she tells me that she doesn't understand that because she hardly got any damage...there are some people that still make you wonder.

Okay so its my turn at the check out. I ask the cashier if she knows what is up? She say's that the woman is buying stuff to take to Biloxi. The woman is all by herself I don't even see how she will make it to the parking lot much less to Biloxi.

I pay for my stuff and get in line to have my reciept checked when all of a sudden a feeling came over me. I really can't explain it. I left my cart and went over to the ATM. I kept thinking about what Brenda TX said on here about we should all donate at least 1 signing. I took out my card and withdrew $100. and went back to the register that the lady was at. I looked at her and I said "could you use some help?" She looked at me with the biggest smile and said that would be wonderful. Then I reached out and gave her the money. I said put it towards all of this. She dropped her jaw. Then those same people that were stomping there feet and rolling there eyes reached in there pockets and started given too. I went to my car unloaded my stuff and went back in as she was finishing up. I helped her get everything to the truck (which had 2 brand new generators and full multi-gas containers).
I asked her if she was from Biloxi and she said no but that she had lost her house in Ivan and that she wouldn't feel right not doing something. Turns out she was a Doctor and she and her staff were going to go and see if they could offer some assistance at a hopital there. Lord knows that they really do need it.

I tell this story on here not to shine on myself but to point out what people are doing to help. Yes it is taking awhile but help will come.

At our civic center here in Pensacola we have over 1000 misplaced familes in the parking lot. I thought I would fix some food to take down then the annoucement was made over the radio that please don't bring anything down because they had to much. I was never proudder of my community than at that moment.

If you have made it all the way to the end of this Thank you! And thank all of you here that have shown such big hearts to my fellow Southern brothers and sisters in thier time of need.
May God bless you,
Beverly
Ps The woman's bill was over $1500. she paid with a personal check.

Reply by ColleenCA on 9/2/05 9:41am
Msg #63468

What a wonderful story! It is so amazing how the people are pulling together to help. After trying for days to get through to Red Cross, I finally did yesterday. The person taking the donations said the response has been incredible.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/2/05 9:44am
Msg #63469

Thanks Bev...I just posted this morning to Iris about my feelings. I've been watching Harry Connick (sp) Jr. walk around. I'm an emotional wreck. So sad

Reply by Brenda Stone on 9/2/05 9:54am
Msg #63474

Beverly, You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing this. If people do not want to give money because they fear that some of it will be used for administrative and salary purposes in the non-profits, they can give gift cards from Target and Walmart. This would help tremendously give these people the ability to get the things needed.

We have around 2000 in our community. If you are not in a state that is hosting evacuees here's my list of donation places:

Donation of Gift Cards:
United Way 211
909 Southwest Parkway
College Station, Texas 77640

Donations of Money:
Salvation Army
979-361-0618
979-696-5285
online at
www.salvationarmyusa.org

Email me if you want me to hand carry a donation to one of the places taking them.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/2/05 10:49am
Msg #63483

OMG !!!

I just heard from the Superintendent of Huntsville schools!!!
She gave me the green light and is sending letters to all the Principals of the schools Smiley

I am tickled pink!
Thanks to you Brenda and Iris and Bev and everyone else helping out. Love you guys

gulp...this is big

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/2/05 11:25am
Msg #63490

Charm - my heart breaks, too

Bless you for all your efforts! I did the precious little I could ... and wish I knew of a local donation site for my few non-monetary contributions ... I have excess toothpaste, soap, toothbrushes, hand lotions, etc. If I find one, I'll go out and buy some bottled water and some personal female-type items and some deodorant to add to them.

I haven't been so moved since 9/11 ... I only wish I had room in my tiny apartment to take in at least one of these people who have been so hard hit!

For now, though I'm not a religious person, all I can do is pray from the bottom of my heart that everyone finds an "angel" to be with them and a real-life angel to somehow sponsor them. And in my own heart, to know that there IS a governing intelligence and it is not ours to question why, but only to respond with as much compassion and kindness as we can!

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/2/05 2:45pm
Msg #63526

The generosity of spirit ... a "musing"

When tragedies hit, we all pull together to help in any way we can.

Why can't we maintain this attitude the rest of the time?

Just a thought.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/3/05 12:55am
Msg #63594

Re: The generosity of spirit ... a "musing" I agree Iris...

I wish this could be the "norm". Could you not imagine what our world could be like?

Makes me also think about all the times we hear people on this message board say -to new NSA's- "why would you think we should have you, our competition, ride along, learn from us or give you the names of our customers?" Granted they haven't been through hell, but what's wrong with helping in a civil manner?

Just a thought, but I agree with you in case it's not understood in the paragraph above.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.