Notary Rotary
POA
Notary Discussion History

POA
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by SarahBeth_CA on 9/23/05 7:01pm
Msg #67028

POA

Ok this is my first POA signing. I am being instructed to have the AIF only sign the Jon Doe, by Jane Doe, Attorney In Fact on the DOT only. And to have her just sign her name as herself and then sign his name for him without the AIF on all the other docs. I thought they had to sign the full deal on all the lines where his name appears. This doesn't sound right at all.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 9/23/05 7:06pm
Msg #67030

Just got the call I was right.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/23/05 7:08pm
Msg #67031

I did my first one today and it was the full deal on everyth

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/23/05 7:30pm
Msg #67034

In my personal opinion (not legal opinion or advice), signing someone's name is forgery. That's why the format "Principal Name by Signer Name, his attorney in fact" is required on the documents. It shows that the person is not trying to forge someone's name. If I was asked to sign documents for me and my spouse (assuming I had a POA designated me her attorney in fact), I'd be sure to so document that on every time I wrote her name.

The person who told you that the signer just signs both names is wrong. Plain and simple. POA's are not attached to each and every document. That's why the signature must be written a certain way.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 9/24/05 12:02pm
Msg #67120

Well PAW thanks to you and the crew here at NotRot and my SA classes I knew that she had to sign AIF throughout the package. The LO didn't really know as the processor was telling her the importance of having it on the DOT. I spoke with the ss and told him the way it should be. He who is also an SA (but hadn't done any POA signings) confirmed with a colleague with many years of experience that I was correct. It was a simple case of I knew what I knew and the LO didn't. But at least she had the professionalism to say she wasn't a notary and didn't know.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.