Notary Discussion History

Please read
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Cris_AR on 9/7/05 6:23pm
Msg #64090

Please read

I do hope this is okay to post.

Dear SR Members:

I have finally been able to reach our fellow member, Charles Licciardi from St. Bernard Parrish, New Orleans. Many of you don't know him but I've known Charles for over five years. He is a judge in New Orleans and he's a Charter member of the SR. I can tell you first hand that Charles is a great person and does great things for his community. He isn't active here at the board but he's a fellow loan signer and fellow SR member.

I reached Charles today on his cell phone and he and his family are staying in a campground in Birmingham, AL (about 1-1-2 hours drive from my home). I offered my home to them but Charles is very concerned and worried about his son who is a Fireman and he wants them to try and work their way back as near to New Orleans as possible so that when his son comes off duty he'll have a place to stay.

Charles and his wife, Dee-Dee, daughter-in-law, and two grandbabies (4 & 5) evacuated right before the Hurricane hit. At first they stayed in hotels but it was too expensive so he bought a camper. He said they have basic necessities but they're living off his credit card and he will run out of that very soon.

His son stayed in New Orleans and has only left for two days (this past week-end). Charles said that his son barely spoke three words the entire week-end. Charles had to pay $500 to fly his son back to Baton Rouge on Continental airlines! Can you believe that?! He had to PAY for his son to fly back to help carry out dead bodies!!!! I am so angry about that but I'll deal with it later. Anyway, from Baton Rouge his son takes a barge somehow to New Orleans. Honestly, I was so upset when I spoke with him that I couldn't digest all the details.

I offered my home to them but they want to get closer to their son. I understand that. I don't know of any other way to put this, but they are running out of money and they need it desperately - for medicines, to pay for campgrounds, etc. When I asked him how long they can live in the camper, he replied "Until we can go back home." I don't have the heart to say anything in response to that.

Oh yes, I am trying to locate state park campgrounds near Hattisburg, or Picayune, MS. Charles mentioned he thought there was a state campground off Interstate 12 towards Slidell & Baton Rouge (west of Slidell). He also mentioned Robert, LA. If anyone can help me find state campgrounds for them, I would so much appreciate it. The state campgrounds let them stay for free or for a minimum fee.

If you can send donations for Charles & his family, I will forward it directly to him - I told him that Dave and I would get in the car and drive it to him. Please help if you can! You can go to Paypal, send to me at the Signing Registry, and earmark the contribution to Charles Licciardi. Oh, and you can see his profile in the SA database if you want.

(I opened a Paypal account in his name but then I worried that he wouldn't be able to get access to it. I know that in order to withdraw money you have to get the debit card, and that is a delay and so on. I tried to call Paypal to get more info but couldn't get through to a person. I think the best thing is to send it to the SR and I will get it to him).

And thank you for understanding that I'm very upset right now. And if anyone of you can help me get my thoughts together and have suggestions on organizing anything for them, please call me direct - 662-844-0602! He sounded so tired and defeated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help!!!!

Kathy Poston
The Signing Registry

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/7/05 6:52pm
Msg #64091

Cris
I am not sure it is OK to post it here to help one particular person(Did you get Kathy's permission too?)

However, I remember the monetary help I got last year from members of the SR, they were incredibly generous when my home was hit by both Frances and Jeanne, so I will be happy to donate what I can.

Reply by Cris_AR on 9/7/05 7:18pm
Msg #64093

Sylvia,
I did bring it up to Kathy, she thought it would be ok.
Basically trying to show the "personal" side of this. I know a few others who have been displaced and I cannot even begin the imagine the enormity of the situation these people are in. Tragic situation and instead of just watching it it helps me if I can help others. Thanks.

Reply by Patricia Gonzalez on 9/7/05 8:18pm
Msg #64095

Please count me in! I have started a fund at the hospital where I work to contribute to them! God bless them all.....

Patricia G. Cortez

Reply by Rebecca Fair on 9/7/05 9:18pm
Msg #64103

Cris_AR, thanks for posting this message. Kathy Poston, thank you for your compassion . My donation is on the way along with prayers and well wishes. I'm glad to hear the family is intact, let's all try to keep it that way.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/7/05 9:24pm
Msg #64104

I think this is especially poignant because the gentleman in question is a judge and his son, a firefighter, is working like crazy trying to rescue people. The son got a couple of days off and had nowhere to go except to his family. Dad ended up having to pay for the son's plane ticket to get back to NO after his time off! Talk about dedication!

If anyone has ideas for a place they could park their camper for free or very low cost, as close to NO as possible, it would be amazing if they would forward that info to either Kathy or to me ([e-mail address]). I know several people who live in that area who are working on finding a place for the family to stay, but nothing positive yet. We've only been working on it for a few hours, though! Smiley

Reply by Becca_FL on 9/7/05 9:33pm
Msg #64105

I'll pay for his KOA for one week if you can find a place. Keep me posted.

Reply by MelissaM_FL on 9/7/05 10:04pm
Msg #64110

Becca, Thanks for that! I'll post once I know where we can get them settled at. Smiley

Reply by PA_Notary_II on 9/8/05 9:30am
Msg #64161

For Mississipi State campgrounds, tryhttp://camping.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=camping&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mdwfp.com%2Flevel1%2Fparks.asp

Region 6 seems to be real close to N.O.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.