Notary Rotary
Quick question about calling borrower
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Renee_OH on 9/14/05 8:02am
Msg #65093

I have done a few signings and still am not sure how to introduce myself to the borrower when I call to confirm the appointment. Do I say I'm with the signing service that hired me or the mortgage company that they're getting the loan from? Any help would be appreciated. Did a search before I posted, but was unable to find what I was looking for.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/14/05 8:06am
Msg #65095

Hi Mr. Borrower. My name is Cheryl Armentrout and I've been hired to conduct a loan signing with you at your home this evening. Your loan officer tells me the appt is at 7, is that good for you? Great, see you then.

Reply by Renee_OH on 9/14/05 8:11am
Msg #65097

Thank you for your quick reply. That helps take the stutter and "um's" out of my introduction.

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/14/05 8:14am
Msg #65099

also...

during that confirmation call, ask them to have a copy of their driver's license and if you instructions to collect a check, make sure you remind them of that as well.

Reply by Roger_OH on 9/14/05 1:32pm
Msg #65176

I also...

identify myself as the NOTARY who will be conducting their loan signing (never a "closing"), in addition to making sure they have ID photocopies, check if needed, etc.

Reply by MC_oh on 9/14/05 8:12am
Msg #65098

Hello mr/mrs/borrower, my name is soandso and I'm calling to confirm the appt at such and such a time to sign your loan documents.

At this time I also tell them what type of ID I wil need to see, or if there are any other requirements they would need to know ahead of time.

Reply by Art_MD on 9/14/05 8:28am
Msg #65101

Also, if you're allergic to dogs/cats might bring that up.
Also, if in big city, may ask about parking. Ask if there is a number on the house. It's a real pain in the butt when 1. House numbers don't go in 2s 2. there are no numbers on the houses or mailboxes.
Many times the borrower will ask if I know how to get there. I tell them I use Mapquest. Every once in a while, they will tell me if there are obstruction - parades, construction etc. and give an alternate route.

Art

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/14/05 8:58am
Msg #65107

Hey Art - you been doing signings in my city???? LOL
My house is numer 179 the house next door to the left is 161 The one next door to the right is 197. So you have 161,179 and then 197 - and there is no room to build houses in between!

Reply by LilyMD on 9/14/05 9:06am
Msg #65111

Sylvia...

With house numbers like that, I hope you get to do all the signings in your neighborhood!

Reply by Sylvia_FL on 9/14/05 10:16am
Msg #65130

Re: Sylvia...

They are this way throughout the city - thank goodness for GPS

Reply by Art_MD on 9/14/05 9:09am
Msg #65112

Street numbers really get wacky when 2 cities touch. One was looking for #240. Looking at numbers and got to 180, next block first house was 340 !!! Went on and numbers started to go down. Next block was 200 block. So blocks went 100s rising, 300s decending, 200 decending. !!!

Art

Reply by Charm_AL on 9/14/05 9:41am
Msg #65120

addresses...I always seem to get the evening appointments for homes that I can't find. The other night I was out on a rural road and had to call home several times to find out where the heck I was and where I was going....my hubby had up map point and was trying to direct me...I kept losing the cell signal, so I pulled over several times...by the time I got to the house, I was ready to cry. You simply cannot see some of the street signs on rural highways that go on forever. Also, I'm having a hard time seeing at night when it's so dark and the roads are forever winding. If someone could invent some sort of night vision goggles for me, I'd really appreciate it!

Reply by christiSocal on 9/14/05 10:17am
Msg #65131

Charm, I have the same problem

with night vision. I saw a message quite awhile ago talking about using those Really strong flashlights, the kind you can plug into your cig lighter. I haven't got one yet, but will soon since it will be getting dark earlier. Hope that helps.

Reply by MelissaCT on 9/14/05 2:17pm
Msg #65182

Re: Charm, I have the same problem

Got a pair from QVC -- they're great! Only works if house has a number on it...otherwise neighbors might complain of peeping Tom...LOL

If all else fails, call bwr & ask for landmark or to come outside (at edge of driveway, etc.) & meet you. I've had to do that on a few occasions.

Some towns up here have changed over to street signs with larger lettering (god bless them!) so it is easier to read at night. NEVER EVER ask a police officer for directions -- they NEVER EVER get them right -- I'd hate to see if there was an emergency at the address...

True story, I got lost driving to my grandmother's house many years ago (first time driving there by myself). Stopped at the police station in town & was told that her street didn't exist in town. She had lived there more than 20 years! I told him that if it didn't exist, he was looking at & talking to a figment of his imagination!!

Reply by Hampton_CA on 9/14/05 9:05am
Msg #65110

How to make your life easier when making your appointment

1. Tell them what ID you'll need and that it must be current -- not expired and/or a paper temporary.

2. Tell them you'll need a copy of the ID.

3. For a single signer, ask if there's anybody else on title who will need to be there to sign.

4. Confirm how to spell their name, including middle. You can then check it against the docs when you get them and head off any problems in advance.

4a. You can also ask if the name on the ID will match the docs. (This is usually useful when you get a woman who is vested with her middle name but has her maiden name on her ID instead of her middle name.)

5. Confirm the address. Ask if the street numbers are on the house or on a sign on the road.

6. Explain what your role is. (That you're there to accommodate the loan signing but won't being doing a review, since you're not the LO or EO.)

6a. You may also mention that this usually takes less than an hour. (You'll be more likely to point this out following a 2 hour signing.)

7. Give them your phone number so they can call you if they need to.

I use these or a combination of some of them, depending on each situation.

Reply by Rinny on 9/14/05 10:42am
Msg #65143

Re: How to make your life easier when making your appointment

I only do signings during evening hours and on weekends. So, in those instances, another good idea is to tell your borrower to ask their lender for an number that they can be reached after hours (even if they have to get a cell number to reach their contact person who works for the lender). Most times the borrower doesn't need it, but in the rare occasion that they have a question (after hours), it's nice that they have access to their lender when the lender's office is closed for the day. Just thought I'd chime in. : )

Reply by LisaWI on 9/14/05 11:18am
Msg #65158

Re: How to make your life easier when making your appointment

In addition to verifying their address, I ask them what color the house is, 2 story or 1 story, and if there is anything in the yard that stands out. This usually gets them going and they give me a really nice description of what I am looking for.

I tell them that I allow an hour and a half for the appointments and the half an hour is a safety blanket that the appointment should only take an hour.

I also make sure they dont have any other pending appointments or events going on that might conflict with the loan signing. I have gone to appointments, and the borrowers tell me they have to be somewhere in half an hour, and it sets up for a very rushed appointment, leaving room for mistakes.

Reply by Bonnie_FL on 9/14/05 11:19am
Msg #65159

One more suggestion

I live in the land of subdivisions and some are gated communities. So once I print off my directions from mapquest and verify directions w/bo, and do all of the above infor, I then ask for the name of the Subdivision and ask if they are in a gated community. Easier to find the sign for the subdivision, then the actual street since most of mine are off of major highways and I cannot get in without a code so they either provide me with the code or I call when I reach the gate and they open it from their house.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.