Notary Rotary
Quit Claim deed
Notary Discussion History

Quit Claim deed
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/24/05 5:00pm
Msg #67167

Quit Claim deed

Does the signer on a quit claim deed have to be fingerprinted, in cal? No rude replys please

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/24/05 5:31pm
Msg #67170

Anon, if you are in CA, the handbook says, "for a deed, quitclaim deed, or deed of trust affecting real property, the notary shall require the right thumbprint in the journal" (paraphrased for this post).

Can't respond for a state other than CA.

Reply by B__CA on 9/24/05 8:22pm
Msg #67190

In your journal, not on the form. n/m

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/24/05 8:37pm
Msg #67192

As an aside, I've learned to ask about quit claim deeds.

This afternoon I had a borrower who applied for a loan and the loan agent processed the loan without letting the spouse know or without letting the borrower know that he would have to have the spouse sign certain docs in the package. I arrived for for the signing with my documents intact and my people personality on ready to have a fun signing. The borrower led me to a patio area and we sat down. As I did my intro speech the borrower's wife walked by and stopped to introduce herself. I told her that I need her IDs and that she could get them while we started the package since some of the docs only had the borrowers name on them. She looked surprised but went and got the IDs.

The spouse came back just in time with her ID as I pulled out the interspousal transfer docs including a quit claim deed, and a release of homestead. The spouse took one look at what I had and totally freaked out. No one had told her that she would be signing off her rights in the property, even if it turned out ot be just temporary. I actually got through the signing and got all of the sigs and necessary information but I was extremely glad to be out of there. You could have cut the tension with a knife.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/24/05 8:43pm
Msg #67195

Re: As an aside, I've learned to ask about quit claim deeds.

I had a similar situation, Charles. It ended up as a no-sign, husband was annoyed that the wife was signing off, with no prior knowledge.

I wish the lenders would communicate with buyers more. I'm reminded of a post by Renee, added to thread 33325...it sort of explains how these things happen.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.