Notary Rotary
Regarding E-Docs.
Notary Discussion History

Regarding E-Docs.
Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/8/05 10:15pm
Msg #64286

Regarding E-Docs.

Are files sent on PDF considered E-Docs? Do most E-Docs need to be printed from a laser printer with PCL6? I have a Samsung ML-1740 that does not have PCL6 or is not compatable. I am going to upgrade but for now that is what I could afford. I figured better than no laser at all (?) I am wondering if I should state no e-docs. I have printed files from PDF no problem. As you can tell I am still trying to figure all this out and would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank You.

Reply by Kimberly_IN on 9/8/05 11:21pm
Msg #64291

e-docs are any documents sent electronically (e-mail, posted on website, etc.) It has nothing to do with the type of printer you have or the format in which the docs are sent.
When I first started, I had a little Dell Inkjet something or other. In fact, I had that thing for about a year before I stepped up.

Reply by DonR_NYC on 9/9/05 7:41am
Msg #64313

E-Docs should ALWAYS be printed on a laser printer. Inkjet tends to fade rapidly and can smudge easier. Lenders will have a problem with you if you use anything other than a laser.

On laser printers say they are pcl compliant but with some document programs they simply will not work. HP is the only true pcl compliant while others emulate pcl.

Reply by Roger_OH on 9/9/05 12:17am
Msg #64292

A laser printer with PCL5/6 compatibility is crucial to being successful in this business. Edocs will continue to increase and if you're not ready to accept them, the companies will go to those SAs that can.

Reply by CaliNotary on 9/9/05 12:49am
Msg #64296

I agree with Roger. Unless you have the ability to accept ALL types of edocs, you shouldn't indicate that you can accept any. It's inevitable that you would eventually end up with a set that your printer couldn't print and would end up causing a huge mess for you, the signing service, and possibly the borrower.

Reply by Nd_WA on 9/9/05 4:20am
Msg #64302

Dell 1700 refurb...$94 free shipping....N/M

Reply by OnTheGoInFla on 9/9/05 8:15am
Msg #64320

The Samsung you have is just perfect, while it does not state PCL6 compliant , that doesn't mean it's not. The real test is if you can print the docs. It mostly is an issue of memory and hoe much of the paper you can print on. One of the Notaries I work with has the exact same printer and has never had a problem. The only thing close to an issue she had was slow printing on some docs. Certain mortgage companies have their own programs for doc printing. If you cannot get the initial file to work call their tech support and they will give you an alternate utility/driver that will work with your printer.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/9/05 11:39am
Msg #64349

>>> The Samsung you have is just perfect, while it does not state PCL6 compliant , that doesn't mean it's not. <<<

In this case, it is not PCL compliant. The printer uses the Windows GDI (Graphic Device Interface) driver to render the pages for the printer. That's how they keep the price way down on these type of printers, since Windows does all the work, not the printer. Of course, this means that any vendor application that submits raw PCL files to the printer will not function properly.

Reply by Iris_WA on 9/9/05 10:24am
Msg #64329

I also have the Samsung ML-1740, and you are correct, it is NOT PCL compatible. However, I disagree with the writer above who said to say you do NOT do e-docs.

Although I have tried to print one pack through SwiftView and it wouldn't work, I simply tell SSs when they call that I can print only .pdf documents direct to Adobe, without conversion through other software.

So far, I haven't had anybody walk away and it's worked out well. But with each new batch, I always have the concern that each document might not print out properly -- it is so dependent on the settings when the docs were converted to Adobe. So, I 'play around' with the Adobe settings and test print documents before going 'whole hog.' I don't know if this is an issue on other printers that are PCL compatible.

The other major drawback for now is when both legal- and letter-sized documents are required -- and they're all mixed in with the .pdfs. I spend some time first arrowing through the packets, simultaneously ensuring I have DOT, Note, any riders, the RTC, and the TIL, and then printing only letter-sized first, and afterward change to the legal-sized paper. I am today going to call Samsung to see if I can buy a second tray to keep it loaded with legal-sized at all times.

Good luck. Hopefully your good work will enable you to soon afford a more appropriate printer soon, if that is still your choice.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/9/05 1:12pm
Msg #64378

Thanks so much for your replies.
I have learned ALOT this morning!!!!!!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.