Notary Rotary
Required Info ..California
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Anonymous on 9/19/05 1:04pm
Msg #66019

How much info is needed..new csa.. Concerned that signing companies, want copy of DL, E&O, car ins, SS#.. I feel that notary comm and bond along w.indep contractor agreement should be sufficient.. I have been reading notary talk and I am very aware that not every one is of the best intentions... With SS# Dob and DL not to mention my adr..they are home free.. Am I too paranoid??? CA

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/19/05 1:18pm
Msg #66023

You should start out by signing up on this site and then add you state to your name so that if you have any state specific question we know where you are from. I believe that most of those requests are reasonable. The Ss wants to know that you are responsible. You need to provide your SSN or TIN so that the SS can conform to IRS requirements. The companies need to know that youare a notary, comissioned and bonded and who holds your bond should there ever be a question. The SS needs to know that you are a licensed driver that way they know that you can drive to your jobs. The SS wants to know if you ahve car insurance so that you can indemnify the SS should there be a problem like you running into the garage at the borrowers home or drving over thier dog or worse. I think that being in business these are all reasonable requests. You can protect your self by having a business address, using a TIN instead of a SSN and havning the appropriate insurances and comissions. It is part of your business and you have to make the choices as to how you operate your business but I ask many of the same questions when I am contracting for any service.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 9/19/05 3:30pm
Msg #66045

Just a bit of clarification. A TIN is a Taxpayer Identification Number. There are 6 different TINs, one of which is your SSN, or Social Security [Account] Number. The one that Charles is referring to is an EIN, Employer Identification Number. This number is assigned by the IRS for employer related activities. Even sole proprietors, such as most NSA's, are eligible to get and use an EIN instead of their SSN for employment related stuff, including providing a TIN to a contractor, such as a signing service or title company.

You can easily obtain an EIN from the IRS. Go to http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=97860,00.html for more information. I suggest applying over the phone, that way, if there is any question, it can be taken care of immediately. It will take about 15 minutes to complete the process and get your own EIN.

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/19/05 5:05pm
Msg #66065

Thanks for clarifying that PAW. I did mean EIT but I was still working on my first cup of coffee and the mind hadn't fully engaged yet. Thanks again.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.