Notary Rotary
Signing from hell!!!!!!!!!
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by newbie_AR on 9/22/05 3:19pm
Msg #66766

WARNING: This is a little lengthy, but I just had to vent!! Thanks for "listening".

As stated in a previous post, I am a new nsa. I called myself being well prepared. I received my notary commission, took the NNA's SA cert exam, purchased extra E&O insurance (some co. require more than 25K), purchased the relevant supplies (journal, nsa log, etc.), trained with a local title company, mock closed a closer, etc. So once I was done, I thought I was ready. As my father always says, a bought lesson is better than a borrowed one--boy did I find that out fast!! I receive a call from an SS requesting my services. I was pumped!! I called the borrowers, verified the time, told them my limitations, informed them of the forms of ID I would need. Everything the book said to do. When I arrive at the house, the woman meets me at the door wearing a nightgown hoisted above the waist, a pair of unfastened denim jeans with holes cut all over them, and on the telephone. She tells me her husband isn't there, but is on his way home. (Mind you I told her that they both needed to be present for the signing.) I ask for a table, and she directs me to the kitchen. She excuses herself to finish getting dressed. she comes back and while waiting for her husband to show, I allow her to begin completing the statement of information as req'd by the lender. 15 min later, her husband comes through the door. I introduce myself and explain to him my role as an nsa. He immediately asks me what do I know about the lender. Who do I work for? etc. I reiterate my role to him. Then he pulls out a copy of the docs sent to him by the lender and begins to ask me questions about the figures on his 1003. He just didn't grasp it. I suggested he call the lender, so his wife picks up the phone and proceeds to call the lender. While she is on the phone, he states that his MI is incorrect on the docs. Sure enough it was. So I tried to call the SS that contracted me. Of course, they are two hours behind, so no one was in the office. I left a message and tried multiple times to call back. Still no answer and no one ever called me back. So while the wife was on the phone re: the 1003, she also asked about the incorrect name. The lender advised me as to what to do about the incorrect name; however, the couple couldn't understand the 1003. The lender asked to speak to me and I indicated the section and docs to which they were referring. Then the lender begins to explain to me what everything meant. I politely explained that she needed to explain everything to them and handed them the phone. They hung up and continued to ask me questions about every detail of their loan. I don't know if they felt that they could trust me or what, but it took me 2 1/2 hours to do a simple refi--and the husband wasn't even listed as a borrower, it was just the wife. I informed them of the RTC and thought that would alleviate some of their questions--WRONG!!!! I think everything that could possibly go wrong did. It really made me question my prepardness and confidence. I thought that maybe I had entered the wrong field. However, I sent the docs back to the company and thus far have not received a phone call about redoing anything. I pray that everything is okay. What a heck of a way to start as a nsa.

Reply by Teasa Mahar on 9/22/05 3:28pm
Msg #66770

Baptism by fire, can only get better

Reply by Christina Dudaklian on 9/22/05 3:42pm
Msg #66779

Newbie, I totally understand how you feel! I believe I can speak for just about all of the SAs when I say that. We all get really good experiences to really bad experiences. Some notaries get attacked, some have allergies from the borrowers' pets, some walk into stinky, dirty houses; some have even had farting borrowers. True stories. I've read them. Too funny! But then you get your smooth ones. This past week I had a few that went smoothly, I wished that all of them would be as easy as those. It's part of our job...but it's well worth it. Trust me.

As far as the MI being incorrect or any names, addresses, etc....what I do to solve my problem, being the notary: 1. Call the S.S. can't get a hold of them? Leave a message and document what time you left the message. then..... 2. If you have the TC's number or loan officer's number, call them. can't get a hold of them either?! Leave a message and document what time you left the message. then......if you can't get a hold of anyone and have left messages and done your best, put a note in the package (I usually put postits next to the error, do not cross anything off because some companies don't want anyone to make any changes). On the Post-It I usually write something like this: "______ is incorrect, supposed to be _______. Left message for (TC/LO/SS) at _____ (pm or am)." If you have to call the SS for status, let them know what happened and what you did. If you do all of the above, you've just covered yourself, not your problem anymore! Hope that helps Smiley

Reply by Melissa Mills on 9/22/05 3:57pm
Msg #66791

I hate to say this, but that one's about typical for some of the areas I service. Smiley I just charge more when I hear that it's in that area.

Sometimes you just have to keep repeating "I can't go into the details of the documents. Sign here please". or "Please call your LO about that question because I cannot answer that." until you are blue in the face.

It sounds like you did very well for your first signing. You'll learn eventually what works for you as far as keeping control of the signing (and then it won't work every time anyway).

Good luck on the next one. I hope it goes smoothly.

Reply by christiSocal on 9/23/05 1:47am
Msg #66853

Re: Signing from hell!!!!!!!!! here's another

Try going to the baad part of town cause the borrower had a flat and dosen't have any other time avalable. Signing docs out of your car cause your still at the tire shop. Oh and that was after chasing the docs down because fedex couldn't find the borrowers address. Only to find the next to the last doc is a quit claim the (ex) wife (no one mentioned a wife!) has to sign and she's at the other side of the valley. Did I forget to mention the crazy guy shouting cuss words at me the whole time??? But on the good side- it makes a heck of a story!Smiley

Reply by JMLionesse on 9/23/05 9:41pm
Msg #67055

Re: Signing from hell!!!!!!!!! here's another

And another! On the 2nd siging I ever did, I had a husband (WUSSY!) and a wife (PUSHY!) Wife shows up 25 minutes late, husband was as exciting as dirt. Finally get them both seated and explained my role as an NSA and then I began the signing. The wife, who only had to sign the mortgage and RTC, read EVERY SINGLE PAGE. The husband was "not permitted" to sign anything until she read EVERY SINGLE WORD. ("Ok dear, you may sign this page now...")Bottom line, she refused to sign the mortgage because she couldn't grasp the concept that her name was on the deed and she was in fact partially responsible for her husbands debt. She kept insisting that it was "his house" because he did all the work to get it...I was there for 1:45, for a HELOC that should have only taken me 15-20 minutes tops. Oh, then there was the moron with the FIVE golden retrievers and ONE beagle in a room the size of a sand box. Think they put the dogs in another room? Please...I have never been sniffed and licked so much in my LIFE! Yeeeecccchhhhh!!!! Ahhh, the memories....lol!!!

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.