Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Things I wasn't taught in my Signing Agent class...
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by Cecilia Meza on 9/30/05 9:04pm
Msg #68225

I ran into a few questions that I wasn't able to find the answer to in my signing agent manual and the company that taught the seminar wouldn't answer my questions... so, if anyone would be generous in providing an answer to my questions, I would be absolutely grateful.

Thanks!

1. What is the reason for why a notary should print thier name beneath the notary signature line after signing their name in the acknowledgement portion of a loan document?

2. Is it okay to undersign documents if it is the borrower's standard signature?

3. What are the titles of the documents that non borrowing parties must sign?

4. If signing party A's name appears on only the Mortgage, Truth in Lending and Notice of Right to Cancel while signing party B's name appears on all of the loan documents, what actions should be taken?

Your input is greatly appreciated... Have an amazing day!

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/30/05 9:37pm
Msg #68226

First, I have a question for you:

What crappy seminar and/or manual did not tell you the answer to #2 and #3? That's a very elementary level question for ANY seminar or manual.

Please share and you will make others aware of what books/seminars NOT to take. Many will be ever so grateful!

Reply by BrendaTX on 9/30/05 9:40pm
Msg #68227

Correction, add #4 to that. You don't need to know #1. n/m

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/1/05 8:04am
Msg #68275

You don't need to know #1 ... unless you are in FL

Florida statutes require the notary to legibly print or type their name beneath their signature. This is in **addition to** the use of a the notary stamp (seal).

Reply by BrendaTX on 10/1/05 9:17am
Msg #68283

Re: You don't need to know #1 ... unless you are in FL

Paul, I guess my reasoning is that you don't need to know the why in #1 - you just do it if it's requested.

Reply by PAW_Fl on 10/1/05 9:43am
Msg #68285

Re: You don't need to know #1 ... unless you are in FL

Got it. But to add to that, it doesn't make any difference if it is requested or not, in Florida. It is simply required, along with all the other things as mandated by statute.

Reply by B__CA on 9/30/05 10:02pm
Msg #68230

Number three could vary depending on the lender's requirements. I have had Countrywide where the non-obs signed everything but the note.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/30/05 10:22pm
Msg #68236

The name of the company is California notary Seminars. Even after I called and asked them my questions, they blew me off.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/30/05 10:01pm
Msg #68229

Cecilia. First this is a self-employed endeavor. To date, I haven't found the manual...in spite of my pleas to get together with my peers to form one.

Second, some things just have to be learned through practical experience (yours). You'll find your way to answer your own questions. And, imo, your questions are not deal breakers.

I'm a big believer in the "kiss" principle...keep it simple, stupid. Your questions show your interest in being the best. The fact that you posted them just indicates you'll do a great job.

So...just keep on plugging away. You'll get it, and learn to dismiss the hair-splitting issues...all the while taking in the information that sticks, and works for you...taking in all the good information on this board.

Relax. My motto is that it's not rocket science...but important in the whole of the transaction. Sorry I didn't post question by question responses - for you, my friend, it's not necessary as you've indicated a willingness and reasonableness to think. Thinking is an indication that you'll be a very good SA, with balance and thought. When in doubt I READ. You'd be surprised how much you learn, just by reading the docs and instructions.

There's so many variables, but the important thing is to stick with the legal requirements of your state and general lender reqs. Good job!

Reply by B__CA on 9/30/05 10:04pm
Msg #68231

What state are you located? The answer to this could be a state requirement.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/30/05 10:09pm
Msg #68232

or the questions on a test

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/30/05 10:14pm
Msg #68234

Re: Things I wasn't taught - Anon

CLEARLY, these are not test questions...or a post to cheat. Are you kidding? Re-read - this individual just want's to be good at what they do. For heaven's sake....this is a message board. Give the lady a break and read the question with some discernment - unless you are not so sure yourself....

Reply by Anonymous on 9/30/05 10:23pm
Msg #68237

https://www.signtrack.com/documents/NotarySkillsTest.pdf

Start with #18

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/30/05 10:30pm
Msg #68241

Frankly, I can't be bothered. And if it is...so the hell what? Regardless, you're contributing to the education of someone else - test or no test.

No harm, no foul. If they aren't good at what they do...they'll weed themselves out, with no affect to you - those hiring notaries aren't stupid, and mistakes are punished, pretty severly. It's called survival of the fittest.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/1/05 12:37am
Msg #68258

"And if it is...so the hell what? Regardless, you're contributing to the education of someone else - test or no test. No harm, no foul."

I think you're way off base here.

Cheating on a test to determine if you have the skill level to perform a job is fraudulent. Sure, it's not a huge deal on the spectrum of fraudulent things that can be done in life, but it is fraud just the same. If she has the basic skills to perform loan signings she can pass these tests on her own, I doubt any of these companies will only hire those who get 100%.

I know you know the problems that can arise when an incompetent notary performs a loan signing, so I don't see how you can say "no harm, no foul". I have no idea what the original poster already knows or doesn't know, but there could be some MAJOR harm done if she really doesn't know what she's doing.

The consensus of the longtime posters on this board has been that we're not going to give people the answers to cheat on signing service tests when it's obvious that's exactly what they're asking from us. As you are somebody who obviously respects the profession, it really surprises me that you think it's no big deal for us to just hand them these types of answers.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/1/05 12:27pm
Msg #68304

Re: Things I wasn't taught - Cali

There's no disagreement from me that it's fraudulent...whether minor or major, and you've made a good point.

The original questions sounded benign to me (and sort of vague to be thought of as test questions), so I responded in a positive way...until someone posted that they were on a test. (I haven't taken any tests by SS, so I wouldn't know). I just don't have the time or inclination in being the "test police" on the board and am of the belief that if anyone starts out on the wrong foot - they simply won't last long for too many reasons to list.

I won't disagree about the consensus of long time posters - you all have too much respect from me to argue about it. When you put it like ***it really surprises me that you think it's no big deal for us to just hand them these types of answers*** of course, it's not okay to do so - my bad - and I'll leave it up to the rest of you to weed the cheaters out. Again...I just thought it was someone looking for info and didn't suspect anything else.

With all that being said...for ME, Cali...the statement "who cares" just was meant that nobody who cheats is a threat to me, so I just don't give it much thought. As to the integrity of the profession...hopefully that is not under question by anybody - my business is too important to me, and I've been a notary longer than a SA. Even if I stopped doing signings tomorrow (which I won't) I'm still involved as the end recipient of the docs, so I care alot about the quality of work (ref my post two days ago about recordings).

Like I said, good point - if I respond 'nicely' to test questions...I'll pay more attention when someone posts that it is...and frankly it would have carried a LOT more weight if that poster wasn't anonymous...hint, hint. If that's the worst "off base" I get...I'll consider myself lucky Smiley

Reply by B__CA on 10/1/05 12:17am
Msg #68255

You are missing the whole question. This person has a very valid question, which is totally different than the test question. Why think bad of someone FIRST?

Reply by Cecilia Meza on 9/30/05 10:26pm
Msg #68239

I'm in California

Reply by B__CA on 10/1/05 1:00am
Msg #68263

1 Some states may not have their name on the stamp as we do. If the stamp doesn't come out to clearly, they may need to know who we are. If they could not read the signature they would at least know who we are. If the form asked for it I give it to them. I had a little stamp made up with just my name on it. I also had one made up with my
"name, notary public". I use them both.

read 1189 of the handbook on page 37 (a) and (b) it doesnot mention that you need to print your name after the signature. The first part of the book shows example of how you can fill one out, but that is not the law. It is not going to hurt if you chose to do this, but if you don't you are still in compliance with the law.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/30/05 10:34pm
Msg #68243

Re: Sounds to me more like SS test questions

Reply by Anonymous on 9/30/05 10:38pm
Msg #68245

If some of you are happy with the question posed as a person beginning in the field and wants more knowledge, then why hasn't anyone answered the questions.

Reply by CarolynCO on 9/30/05 10:42pm
Msg #68246

Ok, Cecilia posted the original question using her name and then she began posting Anonymously, so I can only assume the post I'm replying to was also written by Cecilia.

Reply by Cecilia Meza on 9/30/05 10:46pm
Msg #68248

Sorry to burst your bubble, Carolyn but I've been posting under my name, not annonymously.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/1/05 12:20am
Msg #68256

So you're trying to tell us that it was somebody else who posted "The name of the company is California notary Seminars. Even after I called and asked them my questions, they blew me off." earlier in the thread? That was obviously a reply from you, yet it was posted anonymously.

It's also quite obvious that these are questions from a signing service test. If you're not able to pass these tests on your own then you're not ready to do signings. Shame on you for trying to get us to cheat for you.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/30/05 10:46pm
Msg #68249

Carolyn...not a bad assumption, and you have a knack for smelling these things out.

Still I stick with my opinion. SS's take their chances when hiring notaries. It'll become clear (real soon) if they're not up to "snuff" - it shows all the way around and they'll be out of biz real soon.

Reply by B__CA on 10/1/05 1:09am
Msg #68264

If only that were true. The town I live in there are two notaries that do loan documents, their day jobs are real estate agents. They haven't a clue about the documents. They both try and drill me for information when I see them. They have been a real estate agent for years. I have alot of the borrowers tell me how releived they were when I came and they didn't have to deal with them.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/1/05 8:41am
Msg #68279

It just worries me that it is too easy to come here and ask SS test questions without trying to search out the answers on their own. Yes, I admit the original post was well-worded, however, it doesn't change the fact that what is someone actually learning and going to remember if we simply answer the questions. What is going to happen while at the table when a problem/question or situation comes up and the test taker hasn't a clue?--are they going to have their laptop so they can simply whip a question off to NotRot?

And once again the controversy with being able to post Anonymously comes into the picture. The original post used their full name, however not indicating the state they were from. Then she begins posting (at least one post) anonymously by giving the name of the class she took, and then denies it when I call her on it. As for the other Anonymous posts, I'm not clear as to how many people are actually involved in this thread.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/1/05 11:05am
Msg #68296

Re: Flashback from days past

Susan,
I don't think it has anything to do with a knack for smelling things out -- it's all those years with clients needing legal assistance -- Someone has to be guilty because they can't all be innocent, no matter what they say. I could never be an attorney because I couldn't defend their innocence, and not knowing or wanting to know if they actually did it.

Had Cecilia been honest upfront and say "hey, I'm taking a test and am stumped on a few questions. I don't want anyone to give me the answers, but I'd appreciate if you could tell me where I could find the answers, I'd really appreciate it" who knows, someone may have just given her the answers.

When she began writing and answering herself, it was a flashback of KH days where he would write threads and threads and then turn around and pat himself on the back while answering himself and flaming the rest of us.

Reply by Anonymous on 9/30/05 10:43pm
Msg #68247

Okay... this girl's question was basically PROVIDE THE ANSWER to the question... not GIVE YOUR OPINION on the type of quesitons Im posting. If shes asking questions to signing services test so what!!!! just the simple fact that shes asking for HELP on these 'test questions' means that she wants to go somewhere with this. clearly, she could've blown the questions off but that wasn't the case.

Cecilia, I wish you luck in your career as a SA. I'm not gonna tell you that youre right or wrong..... cause it ultimately comes down to you and whether you're hurting yourself or not.

Good Luck to you....

Reply by Cecilia Meza on 9/30/05 10:48pm
Msg #68250

Thanks!

Reply by TitleGalCA on 9/30/05 11:27pm
Msg #68251

Re: Sounds to me more like SS test questions...So...

Was it a SS test question Cecilia? Enquiring minds want to know.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/1/05 12:23am
Msg #68257

TitleGal, I thought you were smarter than that

One of the questions she asked was:

"If signing party A's name appears on only the Mortgage, Truth in Lending and Notice of Right to Cancel while signing party B's name appears on all of the loan documents, what actions should be taken?"

Is there really ANY question in your mind that this isn't verbatim from a signing service test? Nobody is going to word a question like that off the top of her head. Not to mention, how would a brand new signing agent even know to ask a question like that?

She's cheating on a test. 100% guaranteed.

Reply by Darin Cross on 10/1/05 2:09am
Msg #68266

Answer to the original post

I can’t say for certain where but I do know I have seen all of the questions posed verbatim in one or more SS test I have taken. The poster could have been upfront an said “hey, need help passing a SS test.” She did not. So what we know is that the poster at best lacks integrity. The question is, does it really matter?

I would submit that it very much does. Assuming that we can take her at her word for having taken a class, I am confident that she would have found the answers to all of these questions in the training manual that came with the course. As these are rather basic SA 101 questions, she either has not the capacity to absorb what she has learned or hasn’t taken the time to study the material. My money is on the latter. As such, my response to her original post would be…

Take the time to learn the material BEFORE taking any SS competency test. Take the self-exams from your study material until you have the questions and answers memorized. Use the Search feature on this site. Take the initiative to learn how to “find” the answers rather than expect someone else to “give” them to you. In the long run, you will find the experience much more rewarding and will have begun to build the foundation upon which you will need to be successful in this or any other business.

Reply by NorCalDar on 10/1/05 2:22am
Msg #68267

Re: Answer to the original post

Saw my full name on the previous post and had that feeling of being naked in a crowd in a bad dream. Gotta quick spinning the mouse dial while posting.

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/1/05 12:30pm
Msg #68305

giving a humble nod to those more experienced....

and that's the last post on this Cali - for crying out loud, I was having a beer with my son...relaxing after hell week...and get all this grief (including my lack of "smartness" - now that hurts) and all I was doing was trying to be NICE.

So much for nice. Sniff.

Reply by CaliNotary on 10/1/05 5:20pm
Msg #68321

I'm sorry sweetie

You know I don't think you're lacking in the smarts department. Far from it. I guess I just haven't had the opportunity to post with righteous indignation in here in awhile, and you just happened to be crossing the street as I steamrollered by.

Consider this post my turning the steamroller around and throwing a flower on top of your mangled corpse Smiley

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/1/05 8:56pm
Msg #68338

Re: I'm sorry sweetie

Well, that's very gentlemanly of you...actually it's not the whole corpse...just an arm. I didn't need that one anyway.

Righteous indignation does sort of get the blood flowing...doesn't it? Better than the dull alternative Smiley

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/1/05 12:33pm
Msg #68306

giving a humble nod to those more experienced...

And that's my last post on this...For god's sake Cali...I was having a beer with my son, celebrating the end of hell week, in a good mood...and catch all this grief for being "nice"! Including the lack of "smartness"...now that hurts, Cali!

Hrmph. Fine. I'm growing antennae to find those test question posts....

Reply by TitleGalCA on 10/1/05 12:34pm
Msg #68308

somehow posted twice...whoops.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/1/05 8:49am
Msg #68280

Anonymous/Cecilia. This post is the same writing style as the original post, so I*believe* you are one and the same person. OTHERWISE, you, yourself would answer the original questions.

In re-reading the post I'm replying to, you already gave yourself away --

**Okay... this girl's question was basically PROVIDE THE ANWER to the question... not GIVE YOUR OPINION on the type of questioons *Im posting*. If *shes* asking**

BUSTED = I'm posting and If shes asking.

Reply by CarolynCO on 10/1/05 9:00am
Msg #68281

Cecilia,
another tell-tale givaway that you are posting questions and writing back to yourself anonymously is your style of writing. In going back and looking at your Cecilia posts and then looking at the Anonymous postings praising yourself is your use of:

Both *posters* type the word... and immediately put a space after the last . in the elipsis before the next word. Many people would put a space in front of the elipisis, too.

Reply by SarahBeth_CA on 10/1/05 11:28am
Msg #68299

In reguards to California notary Seminars they are a good start in you SA education. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are a "start" in your education. It's up to the individual sa to continue educating themselves. Now I took that seminar and the instructor answered all the questions we asked. Some had the answer "call the lender". It was very informative for a short course. As far as calling them after and asking questions I have not done that. But they do advertise on thier website that they have a hotline.

Reply by Kevin Thrasher on 10/1/05 11:11pm
Msg #68345

See if you cab find an experienced Signing Agent in your area that will take you out on a signing and explain or answer your questions.

Reply by Anonymous on 10/5/05 12:03am
Msg #68901

Test Questions on signtrack.. I just took it!!!!

I had to search for these answers myself.. I had taken a class with notaryclasses.com and found many answers in my booklet.... There were some I had to search for in other places but they can be found... I will remember the answers because of the research I did.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.