Notary Rotary
Those of you who do weddings.....
Notary Discussion History

Go Back to September, 2005 Index

Posted by newlysmomva on 9/15/05 8:25am
Msg #65321

I was just asked to become a marriage commissioner ( in Va. notaries cannot perform weddings). I was wondering what those of you do weddings do special to make your weddings nice...
Thanks.

Reply by VERONICACA on 9/15/05 9:27am
Msg #65337

What are the requirements of becoming a marriage commissioner if notaries can't perform weddings?

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/15/05 9:57am
Msg #65343

I try to accommodate the wishes of the bride and groom. Actually the bride mostly. Most people turn to alternative wedding providers because there is something they can't get in the usual channels. Many people have their own circle of family and friends who provide direction to the wedding couple and that usually includes the traditional sources of minister or rabbi. I have foind that most of the people seeking out my services have done so because I ca step out of the norm. I have performed weddings under water, on top of mountains, in the forests and at the beach. Also I perform alternative ceremonies and there are a number of them or ceremonies where the vows are unique. One of the things that I believe one has to do is to sit down and analyze your own values before going into this business. I have had requests I consider outrageous and will not consider. Some from ethical and personal religious views and some from personal philosophy.

Once you have determined what you feel comfortable with there are a number of sources for wedding materials and concepts. Brides' magazines are full of all kinds of ideas. There are wedding fairs where prospective brides can go to see what is available as well and you should attnedthose if you ahve any interest. Also there are books with diffeent ceremonies available at boksellers like Amazon and Alibris. The area of performing weddings is wide open and one I get a lot of personal gratification from. Good luck and check out www.revdavid.com and www.tbwo.us for a couple of wedding officiants who are doing very well indeed.

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/15/05 10:26am
Msg #65353

Thanks, I will look into some books, websites,etc.

In Va. apparently, you have to be appointed by a judge and Circuit Court Clerk's Office. The lady who asked me is doing this now and is going to stop by to tell me what we have to do to get appointed.

She does weddings at the beach, etc. also. I don't think I would be into underwater though. I can't swim even though I have lived between the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic all of my life!

Thanks, again!

Reply by Charles_CA on 9/15/05 10:48am
Msg #65359

You know Chesapeake Bay is a great place to do weddings on boats. I use a dinner cruise company called Hronblower Yachts in San Francisco Bay and they can do the wedding and have the reception on board in great style. Luray caverns would be a great place to hled weddings in your area, especially with ath stalctite rogan they have and the carillion on site. I don't know if you are close to Luray but there are a lot of great places in VA to have weddings. You beaches with the barrier islands are also another great location.

Reply by newlysmomva on 9/15/05 2:38pm
Msg #65437

Luray is beautiful but a long way away, I am on the far side of the Chesapeake. I have to cross the Bay Bridge Tunnel to get to the remainder of Va. If you look on the map you will see the peninsula between the Bay and the Ocean. That is where I am. The barrier islands are great. I love them in the winter when they are deserted. Assateague Beach is a good place for weddings. The lady who wants me to do this says she does quite a few there.

Find a Notary  Notary Supplies  Terms  Privacy Statement  Help/FAQ  About  Contact Us  Archive  NRI Insurance Services

Notary Rotary® is a trademark of Notary Rotary, Inc. Copyright © 2002-2013, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.